“Great location, family-friendly”

SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We arrived early, and they were kind enough to let us check in 2-3 hours early. All rooms face the ocean, which is great. Rooms also have a small balcony with 2 chairs. There are both indoor and outdoor pools, and the beach is right out the backdoor of the hotel. Breakfast is included, and has a nice selection of cold and hot items. They have a parking garage which is terrific since parking in the area is at a premium.

1  Thank RME68
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to inform us about your visit. We are striving to provide you with the most comfortable and friendly environment possible. Guest comments are crucial to assure that we are maintaining the level of quality and service that you expect and deserve. We look forward to being your home away from home whenever you are in Virginia Beach!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was my first visit to Virginia Beach and I arrived late Sunday morning to find the streets full of people and was upset because I needed a quiet place to relax. It turned out that there was a beach soccer tournament that weekend. Gabriella at the desk was very patient with me to find me the best room to meet my needs and even followed up the next day to make sure I was OK. She went above and beyond the call of duty and was very sweet in her desire to make us comfortable. The hotel and room were very clean, breakfast was good for a buffet, the view and location is perfect, parking convenient, the valet at the front very helpful and polite, the outdoor pool was very nice. The studio room was spacious, balcony small but enough, hallways clean and elevators convenient. The only downside was that the indoor pool was not kept very clean which is understandable being close to the beach but made it unwelcoming and the music chosen to play on the lobby was annoying. It was a very relaxing few days and Springhill Suites was a great part of it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to hear that Gabrielle was able to be such a great help to you! We appreciate your taking the time to complete a review and hope you will visit us again when you take a vacation.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I returned back from my vacation and finally have a moment to address my issues. I arrived early and headed to the outdoor pool with my family. The hot tub was COLDER than the pool, and I was very sore from our almost 10 hour drive to the beach so I was disappointed , but thought I would just go to the indoor one, only to find that one was taped off and also NOT in working order, I addressed this at the front desk, and was assured the parts were ordered and would be fixed by morning...during my FOUR day stay the out door one was NEVER touched at all. The indoor one eventually worked on my last day there, but It was so sand and HAIR filled I wanted no part of it. I went to the front desk about 4 times about this issue and every time i was given false information...it is early in vacation season and they know they will have allot of guests ,a hot tub should never be down for 4 days, let alone TWO hot tubs. I can not understand how this should be acceptable, when you are paying for a hotel with these amenities you should be able to enjoy them. I am ALSO upset about another house keeping issue, my children both built build a bears while vacationing for souvenirs, they come in there big cardboard "houses"...and birthcertificates, they were placed along side the bed my boys were sleeping in and were THROWN AWAY with the certificates as well, yet our garbage under the sink was over flowing, my boys cried themselves to sleep because their new friends homes and certificates were thrown away. I called the front desk and was put on hold for 15 minutes only to be told to call build a bear and ask for new homes?!?!?!I really think this is awful. We had other family staying in another room and had built up this hotel and they were FAR from impressed, your staff was nice, but it seems like there hasn't been a single update since we began staying there 8 years ago....the blankets now are more or less sheets now as well which are a far cry from what I had last year, I am beyond disappointed and also embarrassed for recommending you for our other family. We will be ending our 8 year running tradition of staying at your hotel and be looking for another place to stay next year. I truly hope they fix their problems because with just these incidences they have lost
( at least) 18 potential guests in the future.2 hot tubs not working for 4 days and house keeping throwing away things that were to NOT be thrown away are just unacceptable. I used to LOVE staying here , but as the last few years have gone by the upkeep is getting less and less, I am not sure what is going on, but I highly suggest you look elsewhere than this at one time favorite place to stay for our family:(

1  Thank Heidi W

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry you were not satisfied with your recent stay. I surely understand your frustration with the issues you encountered during your time with us. Please know that your comments have been addressed with our team and I apologize that we did not resolve matters for you prior to your departure. We are excited to be approaching our sixth year since opening and look forward to our first refresh renovation at the end of the year. I hope you will consider visiting us once completed. Again, I'm sorry we disappointed you and I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I just want to say Shay did an outstanding job in providing in providing service to her customers. She was amazing! She understands the true meaning of customer service. Because of her I am enjoying my stay at The Spring Hill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Way to go Shay, I am so glad that you are a member of the Marriott family. That is the best service I have ever received.

1  Thank melvern l

Thank you so very much for your kind comments. I am proud to hear that Shay made such a difference in your stay. She will be recognized for her efforts. We appreciate your taking the time to complete a review and we look forward to the next time you can visit us in Virginia Beach!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was our second stay at SHS, VB. Our first stay was over NYE in 2011. The fire alarm was pulled at 2 am which was not within the control of the hotel - so we gave them another try!

We recently stayed over a long weekend and were generally very happy with our stay. Our housekeeper, Vicki was terrific. She left the extras we requested and a lovely note when she was done. The valet, Carlo was a HUGE help. We had a million questions for him, and he answered every single one, with a smile.

The only problem we had was the pool. It seemed like it was over-chlorinated. Our eyes were stinging just sitting BY the pool. I went to the front desk to inquire (and to ask for towels which NEVER seemed to be available when we went to the pool) and they sent an "engineer" to check things out. He stated that something had to be "reset" and left. I opened one of the doors in an attempt to get some air in the pool area, but eventually we just had to leave. My kids were feeling sick to their stomachs. I called the front desk when we got back to our room to ask what the "level" was in the pool, and they said it was a "ventilation" issue. I questioned that because my kids BATHING SUITS WERE FADED! I was sort of given the "brush off". I wrote to Marriot to express my concerns and was given "5,000 reward" points. For the $390 per night that we paid for 3 nights, I was a little disappointed with this "solution".

Room Tip: Ask for the middle rooms by the elevators (more sq footage).
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank heyblondie005
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. Your comments are very important to us and greatly appreciated. I apologize you experienced issues with the indoor pool, we have since resolved the problem. We value you as a guest and we want to make sure we are meeting your needs and exceeding your expectations. We do hope to see you on your next visit to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is our yearly place of choice in VB. Our trip was made even better by Sarah A. at the Poolside Cabana. She makes the best drinks on the beach and is super friendly! Ask for her specialty margarita. It was very tasty.

Room Tip: The view is awesome. We liked being on a higher floor for a better view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank elyoung82

Thank you for your continued patronage year after year. It is guests like you that give us the motivation and the incentive to provide the best vacation experience possible. I am pleased you enjoyed the pool bar and will make sure Sarah is recognized for her efforts. Thank you for your review and we can’t wait to see you next time!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My spouse and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary. It was very sentimental for us, as we were married here a few years ago. The location and the oceanfront view from your window can not be beat! The staff was also very friendly. However, I was a little disappointed, because in my opinion, the hotel has gone down a little in such a short period of time. The stay brought back fond memories, but I don't think we'll be going back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SnowAngel_Traveler
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for your review and continued patronage. We are glad we can be a part of your special memories and we appreciate your feedback. As an oceanfront property wear and tear occurs at an escalated rate. I am pleased to inform you that we are scheduled for a refresh renovation at the end of this year! With this in mind I do hope you will consider visiting us for your sentimental visit again next year!