“Great Oyster Place Under the Radar”

Metropolitan Oyster Exchange Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #179 of 1,422 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great Oyster Place Under the Radar”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I love oysters and this restaurant had one selection at the time. Though I prefer a variety for options, I did get to try a West Coast oyster that was very tasty but small. This place has a nice vibe and could be a fun place to go and hang out at the bar. The Hatteras-style Clam Chowder was excellent. I am not a fan of beets at all, but the roasted beet salad was to die for! It was excellent and a great recommendation from our server! I cannot wait to try this dish again. The scallops were excellently prepared. The flounder was very satisfying. They also feature a few local brews. We will try this restaurant again.

• Visited May 2014

“Nice casual eatery”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I had the raw oysters appetizer and they were delicious although very small. It was my fourth oyster experience within the last month. At two other Virginia Beach restaurants they were also small. However, at the last Virginia Beach restaurant they were large. So, large is available. From now on I will ask the size before I order them, as you will pay the same price whether they are large or small.
My wife had the oysters Rockefeller and said they were quite good.
Both of us had the she crab soup and liked it very much. It had a very slight kick to it that we found appealing.
I had my first experience with fish tacos and found them interesting, although I do not understand why people rave about them.
The beer, wine and cocktail menus were more than adequete.
Service was good, although we went early and there were few customers. So I cannot say what it would be like when the crowd comes in - assuming it does.
The decor is simple and not memorable in any way. It reminded me of the "restaurant" in a bowling alley.
Parking is easy, although the location in an old, depressing strip shopping center is off-putting.
Overall, decent food, respectable drinks, and a good place to go when you have on your flip flops.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank shindoni
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Oyster Rockefeller was quite good. Nice drink menu. Caesar salad a bit on the small side with too much dressing and way too many croutons for that size salad. Calamari were room temperature at best and tasted fresh out of the grocery store freezer section. She crab soup quite good.

Visited April 2014
Va Beach, VA
“Fantastic surprise!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

We are locals who are picky about our seafood...this was a fantastic surprise. Old Bay Shrimp app is a must! Oysters App were perfect with house made cocktail sauce. Shrimp & Grits and Fish Tacos were some of the best we've had anywhere..and we've eaten a lot of seafood. Amazing fries. Great beer & wine offerings. A grilled pound cake with strawberries topped off the night. Great meal and with tip -$108. My husband says it was "Well worth every penny' and my husband is tight with his pennies!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Still working out the kinks, but good and right on trend!”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This place has been PACKED since it opened! A little disappointed that they only take reservations for groups of 6 or more, and even then only at 2 time slots, which is odd. We had 4 people and were assured over the phone that we would be seated at the bar until a table was ready. We arrived around 8:30 and were told there was a 30 minute wait. Fortunately, a group was just leaving the bar, so there were just enough seats for us there. While waiting for our table, we ordered a dozen raw oysters (a little disappointed, too, that they do not "yet" carry our local legendary Lynnhaven oysters, harvested minutes away!), but still carried some relatively local Eastern shore oysters, which are significantly saltier, but still pretty delicious. By the time we finished the oysters, we decided to just go ahead and order dinner from the bar. Service time was average, the server was polite. The oyster shucker had a great personality, and we enjoyed him while we ate. We ordered the fish tacos, some fried okra, clams, and salmon. Everything that came out was delicious, but when our food came out, they told our friend who had ordered the clams that the chef had decided the clams were not a good enough quality to serve... the rest of us already had our order by now, which was awkward, but don't worry, he told us those would be taken off the check... uh, duh? We didn't GET them... he asked for the mussels instead, which took a little while. Nothing was comped on the check. We asked the server to split the check down the middle, which was evidently difficult. We watched him at the register for no less than 5 minutes, printing, crumpling, reprinting, repeat.

The atmosphere and food show a lot of promise, and I hope that this becomes a local hotspot, but for now, I have to say to expect hiccups!

• Visited February 2014