“Great location and friendly front desk staff, nasty place...”

Cutty Sark Efficiency Motel
Ranked #68 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Laurel, Maryland
“Great location and friendly front desk staff, nasty place...”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at Cutty Sark for first time and what a horrible experience. Now I'm not used to staying at the Hilton or any of those super expensive places but this place is a NO WAY. First look, the room was dirty; hair on the floor, in the sink and couch. There was hair on the towels and washcloths, not to mention they had staines EVERYDAY even though we got new ones daily. My child shouted "ewwww mommy, this towel has blood stains on it". That was the final straw for me. House keeping bursted in our room 3 times even though we DID NOT have the cleaning sign out yet. We always put the sign up once we left, yet they still bursted in for towels. The microwave didn't work and we had no clue how to work the 1950 stove. What a mess. I'd never stay here ever again. Parking was a joke. There were maybe 9 parking spaces, 3 of which are across the street in an alley. I mean I expected so much more from this place. Please spend the extra $15 for something better. It was so dirty I made my family wear shoes while in the unit. Sad but true. The only 2 positive things is the location and the nice front desk staff. Overall my family and I had a nice vacation because we stayed out of the room as much ad possible!! Good luck and shop on!! I'd recommend the Royal Clipper, it's a block away!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Mrs S
MsJAKoch, Innkeeper at Cutty Sark Efficiency Motel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
We are glad you liked our location to the Boardwalk and Beach just across the street. I apologize if your accommodations were not clean. Our staff works very hard to keep our vintage building clean and pleasant for our guest. I hope you will give us another try. We can do better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed for a full week in the studio cottage. The place is just like walking into the 1950's, but very clean and welcoming. It's definitely not modern, but that's one of the best things about it. We loved everything about it. It was more than enough room for two people. You walk out the front door and the beach is right across the street, there is also a small pool that you have access to if you don't want to go to the beach. The room had great air conditioning, full kitchen, cable TV, a small front patio, and free Wi-Fi. The people that own and run this place are great. They go out of there way to make sure you are having a good stay. We will definitely be planning our trip to come back next year. This is truly Virginia Beaches best kept secret, we would never stay any place else

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PuzzleandPiece
Thank you for your kindest...I remember you...I showed you to your Studio. I hope all is well with you. Come again soon
United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The room smelled, the door wouldn't close properly, we wondered if it were locked, the towels were stained, there was a gap in the ceiling so you could see the level above and hear everything going on and you can see the outdoors through the kitchen fan! Use your hotwire to get a better last-minute deal, because this was no deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Welwyn Garden City
Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are looking for hi-tech, modern room this isn't the place for you but if you want a clean room with hot water, working air-con and a great balcony with ( a small) view of the beach through gaps in the sea front hotels/apartments on a budget for the location then this is a good place to stay. Yes it doesn't look like its been brought out of the 1950's let alone into the 21st Century, but that has its own charm. The combined fridge/sink/oven combo has to be seen to be believed :-) Everything in the room worked fine (although I did mange to burn a pizza as the oven is a little difficult to read) The room, sofabed and carpet where clean and didn't look that old, the arm chair was a little warn but usable. The room was serviced daily. Rooms are on 3 floors (we had 3rd/top floor room. There isn't a lift/elivator.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end of the building that has the reception have best views through the gap to the beach...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsJTraveller
Thank you for taking the time to include a good picture of the view to the Ocean from the balcony. All the front units have a view..better on the top floor. Your review on our facilities were honest and I thank you. We are vintage and we embrace that. We work to keep it very clean and everything in good repair.You noticed and I do appreciate it. We hope to see you soon again. Kindest personal regards
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Cutty Sark is like entering a time machine. The place looks like nothing has changed since the 1970's. The room was excellent. It was good size, clean, had a tv, free wi-fi, fridge, stove, microwave, and coffee maker. The shower had plenty of hot water and excellent pressure. From the balcony we could see the ocean and the street traffic below us. The only issues we had were the room a/c was a little weak (but that could have been user error), the water faucets had to been tightened hard to not leak, and military aircraft flew overhead for most of the day (but that is true for everyhwere in Virginia Beach). If I ever decide to return to VB, I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tonydimarzio
Denton Texas, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Wow !!! I am so pleased to see the Cutty Sark is still in business and kept all of its charm.
This darling place was my very first "home" when I relocated to Virginia Beach to begin my adult life.
The year 1974 !!! I think this in itself is a testament of the Cutty Sark’s allure that beckons guests year after year. Thank you for preserving this icon on Atlantic Avenue. May many more be blessed with equally fond memories of their stay with you.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MSquared902
MsJAKoch, Owner at Cutty Sark Efficiency Motel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you so much for returning "Home". It was lovely meeting your daughter...We look forward to seeing you soon again. Most Cordially, Ms. Koch
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I have stayed a Cutty Sark on 2 separate occasions. We absolutely love this place. Everyone that works there is very friendly and helpful.The maid service is excellent. When we arrived our room was very clean and had everything we needed for our stay.I loved sitting out on the balcony watching the dolphins swimming in the ocean. The sunrises are breathtaking. You don't need to use your vehicle for anything since everything is in walking distance and the bus will take you anywhere else for a very cheap fee. We would recommend this motel to anyone that wants an inexpensive, clean place to stay at Virginia Beach

Room Tip: All the rooms here have a wonderful ocean view you can;t go wrong with ant of them
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple