“Great find, just steps from the boardwalk!”

Terrapin Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 1,559 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 32nd Street & Holly Road
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This restaurant is only a couple of blocks from the boardwalk and from most of the hotels around 31st and Ocean. It is not easy to find a reservation because it is a boutique restaurant and fills up very quickly. If you plan a trip to the beach, call a few days early to get your table. The service was outstanding and the food perfect. We had salads, crabs and stakes and everything was prepared perfect but you will have to wait because everything is done as you order it so it takes time. It is worth the wait but be patient otherwise you will get fluster by the wait and will miss the enjoyment of the food. Also keep in mind that it is pricy so don't go there if you are on a budget. This is now a favorite of mine in VA Beach.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Traveling as a young family of 5, with three young children, one of our daughters asked to eat at a "fancy" restaurant; after some research were are glad we chose Terrapin. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be the most family oriented restaurant but the staff was very accommodating, we found upon leaving that they even borrowed the high chair we used from a restaurant nearby!

This is definitely the type of place that we would chose as a couple when dining out, fine dining, with unique locally sourced food, and a great modern atmosphere. The staff is extremely attentive and the desert menu certainly impressed the kids. Hopefully we didn't disturb the staff and other diners too much!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My husband and I dined at Terrapin on a recent stay in Virginia Beach. We were celebrating our anniversary and the restaurant gave us personalized menus, wishing us a happy anniversary - a very nice touch. The menu is fabulous. We wanted to try everything! We liked that the wine menu was on an iPad. It allowed you to browse the selection by glasses, bottles, whites, roses, reds and bubbly, and to compare them. We selected a bottle of French rose. We happened to be dining there on a Sunday, and were able to take advantage of their Sunday promo of 25% off bottles of wine.

The service was outstanding, as well. All staff members we encountered were super friendly and knowledgeable. They started us out with the house made sourdough bread, which they served with butter in the shape of a terrapin turtle - another nice touch,

We shared three appetizers; the tuna wontons (masterfully prepared, perfectly seared tuna, a superb combination of textures), the burrata and heirloom tomato salad (fresh and delicious) and the fried green tomatoes with corn relish and smoked shrimp (outstanding, especially the smoked shrimp component). They were all AMAZING!

For my entree, I had the lobster pasta. It was the single most fantastic pasta dish I have ever had in my entire life. Every component of the dish was spot on, from the fresh peas, to the hints of tarragon, the creme fraiche, parmigiano and truffle - it all worked beautifully together. Note: I am from NYC and I am Italian. I have even been to Italy a few times and this was still the greatest pasta dish ever. I laughed as I was eating it, it was so good, and I wanted to cry and I took my last bite. I almost wanted to order another one to go.

My husband had the soft shell crabs with corn succotash. It was divine. The saffron beurre blanc sauce was outstanding. These were the greatest soft shell crabs we have ever tasted. They were perfectly seasoned and fried.

We are not usually dessert people, and we were so full after the meal, but we just had to sample one of their desserts. Our waitress recommended the chocolate charlotte with creme fraiche ice cream. It was divine.

We were so completely blown away by this meal. I cannot recommend it enough. I had high expectations after reading all of the other Yelp reviews prior to our dinner, but it truly exceeded all expectations. This restaurant alone is worth a trip back to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our family of 4 went and each ordered the 4 course meals , everything was amazing! I had the steak and it couldn't have been better! The service was top notch also.

bdw10868, General Manager at Terrapin Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

We are so glad you and your family enjoyed our Tasting Menu. We hope to see you all agind soon.
Brian Williams
Terrapin

Reviewed July 22, 2014

On vacation last week (July 12), visiting Virginia Beach area, searched for a quality restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Terrapin made the evening very special and memorable, in a most positive way. My wife and I were so pleased with the service (Chris), the Zinfandel (Terra D'Oro) that complemented our main course, not to mention the wonderful chocolate cake (we shared) for dessert.
It was a terrific experience, thanks to Terrapin restaurant.