“Local, organic, excellent!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 32nd Street & Holly Road
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Truly exceptional food and service, in a nice if subdued atmosphere (and subdued lighting -- the location offers no views so there are no windows!) with very comfortable seating. The menu items were very creative and interesting, and the staff was knowledgeable in answering questions. One thing I really appreciated and that seems pretty rare these days was that several menu items offered two portion sizes, priced accordingly -- I ordered the grouper (Asian style with peanut sauce and cabbage -- really tasty) and got the smaller portion so I'd have room for dessert. I don't think I would take kids under 14 there or for that matter and I think it's better for a couple or small group than a large one. Our visit was off-season and a Tuesday night so there were a lot of empty tables, so service might not be as prompt when there is a larger crowd, but I would say that even in that case, the meal would be worth the wait.

2  Thank KEG0717

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Clearly white table cloth status. Small menu done very well. Saw some of the modern techniques we'd only seen on The Food Channel (eg, dehydrated olive oil). Not cheap. Very good. Ask for Michael.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

After reading the rave reviews of this restaurant, I expected a much better experience than we had. We were seated quickly and the waiter took our order, but then things went downhill. We waited for quite some time before my husband's salad was delivered. He got the beet salad which he said was good, but nothing special. Then we waited again for quite some time for our entrees. While we waited, no one cleared the table of the salad plate or offered to replenish the bread. There seemed to be plenty of waitstaff in the restaurant so we were not quite sure why the lackadaisical service. When we finally got our entrees, mine was quite good. I had a local white fish with a noodle/cabbage/miso base. My husband had the scallops which he found somewhat disappointing. The scallops were cooked perfectly, but the mushroom sauce was not very interesting. Also, he thought the portions were quite small given the price. We shared a dessert of apple pie with caramel ice cream. It was excellent. They are quite generous with the wine. My "glass" of wine came in a small carafe and was more like two glasses. Overall, i think the restaurant is overpriced for what you get, and they really need to get the food to the tables a little faster.

2  Thank Pat D
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our part of 4, my husband and I and another couple, enjoyed a wonderful meal as part of a birthday celebration at Terrapin. The lighting was pleasantly dim, and even though the next table looked like it was close, we never felt cramped.
The wait staff was attentive without being too much so and all the food was served in to each of us at the same time, so that no one had to wait for another of our party to receive his/her food -- even if it meant that 3 waiters placed our food before us.

Three of the four of us got the tasting menu which exceeded expectations. While the waiter said the tasting menu portions were slightly smaller than regular portions, I can't imagine how that was possible! All of us had a perfectly sized meal. My husband had the filet for his main course and it was huge! - even though part of the tasting menu. Perfectly cooked to order, as well.

Our guests commented that it was one of the best meals they'd ever had, so while the evening was not an inexpensive option, it was well worth it for a special occasion with good friends.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hostess wasn't too nice when we mentioned that we didn't have a reservation, but suggested we sit at the bar. (throughout the evening we noticed several empty tables that never got filled-so 1 star for the "hotess without the mostess" That being said, she probably did us a favor. Our bartender was gracious, informative and extremely professional. Our cocktails were perfect- and the only proper cocktails we were served while vacationing at Virginia Beach. The food was delicious and the menu very innovative and appetizing. The oysters were the best we've had and ALL of the food was well prepared an tasty. A great night...