“great eggs and fluffy pancakes”

Pocahontas Pancake & Waffle House
Ranked #16 of 1,413 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Portsmouth, Virginia
“great eggs and fluffy pancakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

My husband and I walked in at about 9:30 on a Sunday morning. The place was almost packed, but we were seated right away. I think we got the last available table. It's a tight space, but it's worth not having to wait as long, I guess. Yes, the food is a bit expensive, but the portions are worth it. I'd definitely recommend plate sharing for little ones. I had 2 pancakes, 2 eggs to order (scrambled with cheese), 2 sausage links, and 2 strips of bacon. I think for the huge size of the pancakes, $9 and some change is not a bad price, really. Anyway, my eggs were amazing, very fluffy and moist, and the pancakes were super fluffy and delicious. My husband tried a bite of mine, and then had a few more, and he doesn't even really like pancakes normally, but they were that good.

Overall, a good experience. I would recommend.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
“Over priced for breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

We went there because several people at our hotel recommended it to us. It was crowded but we were seated quickly. Very disappointed in the size of the juice drinks, especially what they charged for them. The pancakes were good- nothing great, but they were soooo big. I don't need to eat three pancakes bigger than the size of my face. I would rather have one or two pancakes that came with a side. We ended up spending over $40 on breakfast for the four of us (one of the meals we ordered was split between my two children so we really only ordered for three). Save your money and find a cheaper place to eat. How badly can one mess up pancakes? These aren't worth the premium you pay. If you do go, split an order of pancakes. I honestly think the four of us could of eaten off one order of them.

Sanford, North Carolina
“Never Again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

Went with some friends. Told it would be a 20 minute wait, turned into an hour wait. Another 25 minutes before order was taken. Drinks were requested several times. Food came to the table cold. Waitress unresponsive, appeared to have too many tables to wait on. We asked for seperate checks, meal was all put on one, manager yelled at us that only one person could pay the bill. We had 3 people paying with credit cards and 2 with cash. He said we should have used ATMs before we got there. Said he would only let one pay.

Albany, NY
“Good for VA Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

We had breakfast here based on the other reviews. Its nicer than the other breakfast pancake places on Atlantic Ave. Inside was brightly decorated with a heavy Pocahantas theme. Had to wait a few minutes outside, but the service was prompt once seated. The pancakes and coffee better than the other places on the strip. We were overall content with our experience.
Is it expensive? Sure, if you compare it to a 'regular' diner elsewhere. But, you are on the strip, so expect to pay a premium for that. Its priced the same as other places on Atlantic.
The portions are generous. I saw lots of tables taking leftovers home. I saw the review of the family of four complaining about the price. If the kids order the regular breakfast, its pretty huge.

Pennsylvania
“overpriced & terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

The prices are outrageous, we paid over $50 for breakfast for a family of four. I wanted to leave as soon as I looked at the menu. My husband talked me into giving the place a chance, as we'd heard the food was fabulous and there was no other place within walking distance that was open for breakfast. The food was decidedly NOT fabulous. We'd all ordered pancakes, the place is a pancake house, you would think there would be syrup on the table, we had to wait 10 minutes for the waitress to bring some. The waitress also left my eggs & homefries and my husband's on the counter, she didn't bring us the food until we asked for it when she brought the syrup. By then it was cold and of course we could not get her attention to ask for fresh food. We were not offered refills on coffee and never saw our waitress again until she brought the bill.