“"There still GOOD customer service out there in the world."” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk

Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk
Ranked #35 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Abingdon, Maryland
“"There still GOOD customer service out there in the world."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

My family and I traveled from NC looking for an overly decent place to stay that wasn't too far away from the oceanfront at 11pm. (Imangine that..!) We tried several places but they kept giving us different prices and different fees for this and that so we took a chance and stopped by the Candlewood Suites. To our delight we were able to get accommodations for the night. The front desk associate was kind enough to let me go and inspect the room before i rendered payment. I was more than satisfied with that level of service, especially at that time of night. I will go on to comment that the young lady behind the desk was able to multi-task quite well considering I was not the only customer she was dealing with. She was very professional and was able to maintain her composure considering she was the only associate working.

Once we were fully checked in to the room she then offered to help my family and I with our bags considering the time of night it was and my son was dying to get in bed. I kindly told her, "No thanks" but greatly appreciated the gesture. She seemed rather busy as is.

The room was well maintained and clean. It didn't smell of mold or mildew or any other ungodly scent that people can come up with. We quickly pulled back the covers and sheets and jumped in the beds because of the long day ahead of us. In my line of work, I travel a lot and I have stayed in some places that I wouldn't take my worse enemy to. I can honestly say that this Candlewood Suites was not one of them. I only noticed a couple of things that need to be addressed considering this hotel has a couple of floors. The ice machine issue should be addressed soon, as well as the updating of the hallway carpets. In some places they were a bit outdated and worn and could potentially become a hazard. I guess people are looking for ALL the comforts of home when they check in to different hotels. People, it's not your home!!! Those that have left nasty comments, their homes probably aren't that clean anyway and they just need something to gripe about! I will say the place didn't have all the amenities but it wasn't bad at all. Many travelers are looking for their hotels to be a villa of some sorts. Stop it people. We are living in financially oppressed times and places are working with the budgets that they are equipped with. If you didn't like the place so much, DON'T STAY THERE! Don't just bash the place after you have partaken in the facilities for a couple of nights. Again, my accommodations were just fine. I spoke previously of a few things that need to be addressed, but speaking from my lone experience I was thoroughly impressed with how well that young lady multi-tasked and maintained her composure while dealing with 3 different customers.

I will also add that before my checkout process I was greeted by a young lady once my family and I exited the elevator with all of our stuff. She offered to help but we basically handle the luggage ourselves and moved on to the checkout desk. Once I was done squaring my family away into the vehicle she again mentioned to me that she would have been more than happy to have helped us. She then told me that she was the general manager of the hotel and that she wanted to get a brief overview of how my family and I's stay turned out. I told her that we were pressed for time and really had to get on the road so she asked if i could write down my email so i scribbled it on her clipboard and 3 days later i received a comment email asking about our visit. Once again, I left the place feeling "A" ok and would gladly visit there again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor right off the elevator worked fine for us.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank B H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Lewisburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Levi went above and beyond to help answer all our questions. We appreciate him.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer S
Ocracoke, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Though it is an extended stay hotel, we were in VA Beach for the weekend and really enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The rooms were clean and furniture looked like new. I would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel this weekend and could not wait to leave! You walk in the room and the smell is just overwhelmingly disgusting. A mix of cigarette smoke (in a non smoking room), mildew and I don't know what. The carpet is so dirty and scary to walk on. The entire room & bathroom is extremely dusty, moldy and in terrible shape. I don't think the baseboards, and corners of the room and counters are ever cleaned. It's like going into someone's home that hasn't truly cleaned in years. There's mold spots in all different areas of the bathroom. I just felt like I'd see bugs or a mouse any minute. Luckily I didn't but I'm sure a UV light would show us a lot I don't want to know about.
I had friends staying there as well for more days than myself. They said maid service never came all week. So there for the room was not cleaned or beds made all week. Their garbage was full and ask the front desk if someone could come get it and they were told no, you can put it in the "garbage closet" at the end of the hall. Well it was literally a closet with trash piled. That's disgusting! Everything was "you can come downstairs and get it"...needed more toilet paper, more towels...that was the answer.

So glad to be home and sanitizing my suitcase and belongings and laundry in the wash!!!

DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jlny324
Melinda W, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you Jlny324 for your recent review of your stay with us at the Candlewood Suites - Virginia Beach. First and foremost, let me apologize for any of the inconveniences you experienced with us. We offer weekly housekeeping and I am sorry that was not explained to you at the time of your reservation and or check in. We strive for 100% satisfaction for every guest and every stay. It is every disapointing when we do not meet that expectation. If you find yourself in Virginia Beach again, let me know personally, and I will make sure to set you up with a reasonable rate and a wonderful experience.I would also love to talk to you personally about your stay.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I reserved and PAID for our King smoking suite in January 2012 for our stay in July 2012. When we checked in, we were DOWN GRADED to a non smoking 2 full bed type room. They said they are booked and this is all they had!!! They offered no refund -when I went and asked i only received $20.00 off for 3 of the 5 nights. BEWARE all I can say is BEWARE!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear bellesama,

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G
Allentown, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I write this, neither in search of recompense nor in hopes of an apology. I pen these words only as a warning to future unsuspecting travelers that might plan their vacations to Virginia Beach and choose a hotel that strives for mediocrity.

There comes a time in every traveler's life when the cruel, twisted hands of fate decide, that the vacation for which significant planning time was required, to take a detour into the abyss. This year's vacation for us, at least, was one such misadventure. The abyss, wrote Nietzsche, looked back and, furthermore, mocked us. There was a singular, unique event that changed the course of what had been, until then, an enjoyable time with family and friends.

It was the simple act of checking in to the Candlewood Suites in Virginia Beach, VA. The staffs' inability, nay, refusal to accommodate our request for connecting rooms with our traveling companions left us bewildered and befuddled. With our hefty deposits and threatened cancellation fees in the clutches of this dastardly corporation we were left with no option but to register and hope that whatever nefarious plans the staff had in store for us could be, at least, minimized.

Then we discovered that Candlewood Suites idea of clean is contrary to what most people actually do consider clean. The bathroom was squalid. It was dirty enough that we wondered if we were on a hidden camera show, checking for our reactions. Alas, such luck was not our fate. No black light was needed to see the grime. There was muck around the tub that we couldn't explain. There was years of dust, dirt and other people's scum in the vent. The curtain rod was broken. You could see the profoundly unprofessional results of granite tile laying gone horribly, horribly wrong. It was as if Candlewood Suites had deliberately looked for the most inept contractor around. I can't prove this, of course, but I am sure a bunch of drunken chimpanzees had worked on the bathroom of our room.

However, despite all that, and hoping the foulness wouldn’t get any worse - it did. The toilet bowl was the nastiest violation of them all. There was a layer of dust all over the toilet; but even more shocking were the growing splotches of mold and mildew making a permanent home in the bowl itself. Add to that, the distinct smell of cat urine sprayed with an air freshener and you have a deadly cocktail. “The children,” I thought, “what about the children?”

Presented with photographs of the horror (or as we referred to it, Superfund site 52), the manager on duty assured us, that the problems would be swiftly and satisfactorily addressed. We left, comfortable in the knowledge that our stay was going to get better (or, at the very least, not worse). Alas, this was not to be. We learned that of the numerous bathroom (and general cleanliness) issues with which we were plagued, only 3 (three), were “fixed”. Did you see the quotes there? It is to signify irony (or sarcasm).

The maintenance man secured the shower rod, removed some gunk from the bathtub, and halfheartedly cleaned the toilet. That’s the short of it. To elaborate, there was dust in the bathroom from whatever method he used to secure the shower rod; the bathtub was re-caulked in random areas, leaving grime in others; and the toilet bowl had only one mildew stain unenthusiastically scrubbed. The toilet in general remained dirty and covered in dirt. And, for the “pièce de résistance” (notice the quotes there – irony about to be perpetrated), the maintenance man cleaned the silicone with one of the guest towels and left in on the floor.

The front desk staff, although friendly and affable, quickly pasted on the corporate smiles whenever we approached. Bringing our concerns and issues to the front desk, we learned, to the surprise of no one, that the staff was trained only to regurgitate the standard company party line. The manager, either through sheer stubbornness or a very strong sense of indignation, was not as conciliatory as we had hoped. No help for us - the holiday seekers; the searchers of fun; the goers to the beach.

So, Candlewood Suites, if you choose to acknowledge this review I want to leave you (and your future guests) some statistics upon which you may cogitate. I believe I have researched the veracity of these statistics, but don’t believe me – do the research yourselves. Armed with this data, as well as my narration on this less than pleasant stay at your establishment, I plan on informing every person I meet the experiences of my stay. You shall not be troubled by us again as we will, with as much effort as we can muster, avoid your facilities. And, if it should be that CWS becomes the only hotel in the world, we will sleep in cardboard boxes.

Statistics:
A dissatisfied consumer will tell between 9 and 15 people about their experience. About 13% of dissatisfied customers tell more than 20 people.
Source: White House Office of Consumer Affairs, Washington, DC

86% of consumers quit doing business with a company because of a bad customer experience, up from 59% 4 years ago.
Source: Harris Interactive, Customer Experience Impact Report

91% of unhappy customers will not willingly do business with your organization again.
Source: Lee Resource Inc.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Levontstropp
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Levontstropp,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review of your stay. We do appreciate your feedback as this helps us to determine where we need to improve. Your comments have been passed to the appropriate departments to be addressed.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Katie J
Syracuse, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Parts of the suite are updated and parts aren't. Granite in bathroom but cabinets under sink were a mess and all broken apart. Molding around tub was gross.

Air in living room worked well but hot in bedroom.

When we opened fold out couch for kids to sleep, there were wadded up old sheets in it. When I asked for a sheet, blanket and pillows, we got one of each and no fitted sheet so i had to go back down to get more myself.

When we came back from visiting friends at 10pm, 3 police cars were in the parking lot taking a man away in a police car from the hotel.

I would NOT recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JordyBear
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Virginia Beach / Norfolk, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear JordyBear,