“Our reservation was cancelled 4 days before we arrived-absoluted devastating”
Review of Ocean Beach Club

Ocean Beach Club
Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Our reservation was cancelled 4 days before we arrived-absoluted devastating”
Reviewed September 30, 2010

My husband and have been going to Virginia Beach for years with my 2 daughters- age 14 and 17. Our first year we stayed at the Sea Gull Inn. We also stayed at the Days Inn, Four Sails Resort and the Hilton. I enjoy being right on the beach and I like how all of the entertainment and night life is within walking distance. My husband and I attended a Time Share presentation for the Ocean Beach Club in August 08. We did not want to purchase one at that time, but were impressed with the Ocean Beach Club after we went on the tour. Early in 2010 , we started planning our Summer Vacation . Since my daughter was going to be a Senior this year and may not be going on too many family vacations after she graduates High School, we wanted to go somewhere extra special. We decided to book a week at the Ocean Beach Club, since it was very nice and had great accommodations and a fully equipped kitchen. We invited my 17 year old daughters' friend and decided to go with another couple and their 14 year old daughter, who is my 14 year old daughter's best friend. We were so excited. My 14 year old daughter would stay in my friend's condo and my 17 year old daughter's friend would stay with my husband and me in our condo at the Ocean Beach Club. The adults would have the separate bedroom and the girls would each have a place to stay on the pull out sofa, so we could have some privacy. The fully equipped kitchen was something I loved,because it would save us money on meals and I looked forward to cooking for my family in a relaxed atmosphere, without the stresses of everyday life. Wednesday before we arrived I received a call from the Ocean Beach Club and was told the owners of the time share were coming the week we had scheduled and we no longer had a place to stay. I was soooooo disappointed. I explained our situation to the man and said we planned this so far in advance and that it was not acceptable to me. They had to find us a condo in that resort. My friends reservation was not cancelled-just ours.
They offered us a few options, but we had to make a decision right away . Staying at the HIlton, which was 4 blocks away, or another motel on 5th Street. Our friends were staying at the Ocean Beach Club. We decided to stat at the Hilton- which was very nice-but it was just a motel room-1 room- 2 double beds -no kitchen. My husband would be staying with 3 almost adult woman in 1 room all week ,with one bathroom. The Ocean Beach Club were able to get us a small discount on the Hilton, but it was not enough to make up for our disappointment of not being with our friends and being away from my 14 year old daughter. We asked for 2 motel rooms,since we were to have some privacy at the Ocean Beach Club, but they thought that was totally out of the question. The explanation of why our reservation was cancelled was that there was a computer gliche and the reservationist did not know the owners were coming that week. , when I booked our vacation. I even called 1 week prior to our reservation to confirm and they said yes we have your reservation. I would never ever recommend this place to anyone, since this happened--absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank amyjmiklas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Turkish first
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I must admit, after reading some of the recents posts on this resort concerning customer service I was a little worried about what we would encounter when we arrived there in Sep 2010 for our vacation week. As it turns out, I had no reason to be worried at all because EVERYONE we dealt with and talked to was great! The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly and I can't say enough good things about them.

A week before check-in I called and requested and oceanfront or oceanview room. They told me they could not guarantee it and would see how full the resort was when we got there. When we checked in on Friday there were no oceanfront or oceanview rooms available so we ended up with a city view but were told to check back on Monday to see if something else had opened up. I really wasn't expecting it to but when I stopped at the desk Monday morning they had an oceanfront room waiting for us. They told us to take our time moving our things to the new room and even offered to have a bell hop help us if we wanted. They could not have been more accomodating and that made our whole vacation a week to remember. The room was exactly the same as the city view but having a balcony facing the ocean where we could watch the sunrise and the schools of dolphins swim by everyday was extremely relaxing. I feel that the staff really went out of their way to make our vacation perfect.

We had a one bedroom unit and it wasn't huge but it was more than adequate for three people. The food at the tiki bar was very good and sitting at the fire pit at night was great. The grounds were well maintained and the flowers/plants were beautiful. We didn't use the indoor pool since the weather was perfect everyday but we did use the outdoor pool. It was clean, a comfortable temperature, and had small waterfall you could sit under to cool off. There are many good restaurants nearby and it is a short walk to 31st street where they had free live music four nights out of seven. The location is perfect.

An oceanview or oceanfront room is definitely preferred but even if I ended up with a city view I would still return to this resort because of the location, the amenities it has, and the oustanding staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The Ocean Beach has a good location on the boardwalk. Ask for an oceanFRONT room not just oceanVIEW. We booked oceanview and got a sideways view of the ocean and a direct view of a piece of derelict land. To be fair, we complained and got a room with a great view onto the ocean. The staff are generally welcoming, courteous and helpful. We had 7 days in a nice apartment with kitchen, lounge, bedroom, bathroom and balcony. Good gym and nice pool area looking onto the beach. My guess is that this place works better as a timeshare rather than a hotel. It is isn't classy enough to be a hotel, and certainly not for the prices it charges, although admittedly part of our stay was over the Labor Day weekend. A few irritations such as permanent music piped into all the public areas, indoor and outdoor, including the pool area which is REALLY annoying when all you want is peace. Also the reception - WHY? Charge for wifi. Also daily $1 charge for room safe. WHY? Mean. Just add a dollar to the bill! I'd never have noticed...... Watch out for the maid service. We accidentally left about $10 in change scattered on the table on our first day without a note. By the evening it had gone and a there was a note thanking us!! A misunderstanding? Maybe, but it left a spooky feeling.............. We had a good stay there but if we went back to VB we would probably stay at the Hilton if we wanted to stay in a hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Mannington
Reviewed September 14, 2010

After a few days at the Great Wolf Lodge Resort in Williamsburg, Va., which I highly recommend the family and I had made reservations at the Ocean Beach Club Resort in Virginia Beach. The reservation was made online and as always I print out my confirmation page that was sent to my email. Check in time at the hotel is at 4pm. Upon arriving early I checked at the front desk to see if possibly our room was ready. Unfortunately it was not and gave the front desk my cell phone number and asked if possible they could call when it came available. So after a late lunch or early dinner we went back to the hotel and decided to wait by the pool. But i thought I should check and see if the room was ready and it was and no one had bothered to call. After check in we went to our room. With two younger childeren it is customary for me to reserve a suite. the room they put us in was a one room studio in which I could almost spread my arms and touch both walls. So back down to the front desk I go. With my confirmaiton and email that I pulled up on m iphone I show the front desk my reservation. A two bedroom suite not a one bedroom studio. First let me say the staff was nice. However their excuse was simply we gave your room to someone else, which is not acceptable. An hour and forty five minutes later we had a room. Along with a $100 gift certificate to the bar or rest aurant that would also take out 20% gratutity. The bar and facilities are nice and clean, a very south beach miami theme. However there is no monitoring of who comes onto the premises. This leaves for locals and non-guest to invade the pool area which happened often and became a pain.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Our stay was from 9/2 to 9/5, with original checkout date of 9/6. Upon checkout, there were a few issues with our bill. A meal had been charged to our room incorrectly. Jamie was the clerk at the desk. I explained the issue and she proceeded to find copies of the receipts for all food charged to the room and gave them to me. When I reviewed the receipts, I found that one charge was signed for by someone else; a guest in 1507b, not 1507a, which was our room. She could have seen this clearly herself, had she bothered to look. She fixed the problem and I completed my checkout. I then asked for her name and if I could borrow her pen to note her name in the event that I would have a problem with any additional charges. I then exited the building and began to ready my car for our departure. About a minute passed, when Jamie approached my car parked immediately outside the lobby and very rudely asked "Did you steal my pen?" I was stunned and speechless, then she asked again. I replied no and showed her the inside of my teeny-tiny purse that I was carrying at the time. Not only was she rude and obnoxious, but she completely humiliated me in front of other patrons and staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jsmiller33
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We booked a room there to stay the night before and of our wedding in September and I get a phone call the Monday before saying that they had a "glitch" in their system and there are no available rooms, but offered me a room at their other, very less comprable, hotel at the other end of the boardwalk, and not on the oceanfront. I spoke with the hotel manager and she was absolutely no help at all. I will never being using this hotel and, having lived in Virginia Beach for over 20 years, I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone either.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank debanne_10
Bolton, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 3, 2010

My husband, myself and 2 college age children stayed here. I was afraid after reading some not great reviews. My husband had a conference at the Sheraton. I am SO glad I didn't stay there after going over and looking at it. It's a 1950's motel and looks that old and smells bad too. The Ocean Beach Club is 5 years old and looks brand new. It stands out as the prettiest building on the beach.
First, the room is beautiful at the Ocean Beach Club.! We stayed in the 1 bedroom. The kitchen is amazing and has granite counters and fully equipped. It is wonderful having a fridge and stove and saves you lots of money. The TV and large couch was great and folded out into the room at night. My college age kids loved it. We loved the HUGE bathroom and bedroom. Dining room seated 6. Wonderful to get our glass of wine from the fridge and enjoy it without paying! Yeah!
The pool was awesome! Small? Perhaps a bit on the small side but beautiful and just fine with a great view of the ocean! The chaises are great and there are lots of them. True, there are only 4 sets of double super expensive pillowed chases and those go early like around 7:30 am. So what? Get up early if you want those! The others are great too!
The location is perfect! You walk out of the pool area to the boardwalk and the beach is right there. You get to people watch all day!
Our room did not have an ocean view and looked over the city. Dissapointing? Yes, but that is how it goes and we saved money doing that and really didn't mind too much to have the great space.
The staff is great and too nice, perhaps! LOL They try almost too hard to be nice and did everything I asked. Some of the workers are foreign but they need to work too, eh?
DON'T go for the ttimeshare upsell. We didn't. Just google Ocean Beach Club timeshares for sale and you'll find like 200 people trying to sell theirs! Way cheaper too.
Tortugas is a cute little restaurant right on the ocean. Not expensive and decent but not great meals. Very worth the price because the seating is amazing and the view is worth a million bucks. The crab cakes were terrible but the burgers, chips & salsa, wings and pulled pork were great.
The fitness center is amazing but it does lack any treadmills or water. I don't do weights or stairs or bikes and that is all they had. Fine! I just walked on the boardwalk each morning. Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A great bonus is the Neputune Park where they had free music bands every night! It was amazing and there were people all over the place. Such great community. We even got up and danced on the open air dance floor! Wow! Loved that so much.
One morning I went out and there was a pod of dolphins jumping 100 feet off the beach. I watched them for 30 mins! Loved this location. You get to see the sunrise every morning over the ocean.
The continental breakfast is $5.00 and all you can grab. Great deal! Bagel, coffee, muffins, juices....I got $10 worth of food!
If I could change a few things, I'd have free parking and internet.
Would I go there again? YES! In a heartbeat! I really have high expectations and really enjoyed it very much. You'll really like it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business