All reviewsacross the streettimeshare ownersfull kitchenliving roomfire pitconcierge deskadult poolhot tuboff seasonthe check in processsmall balconysun deckbeach frontthe north endunitpoolstortuga
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Very nice and charming hotel has a nice view with a beachfront and 3 swimming pools one of them indoor.
The rooms very big and clean .
The area very safety for the family .
At night there is among of places and things to do.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
VBGM1, General Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Thanks for taking time to leave us positive feedback about your stay at Ocean Beach Club. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our pools, clean rooms and charming resort. Your kind comments will be shared with our team. We look forward to being of service to you during future visits to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stay in a 1 bedroom suite, I didn't expect it to be so nice, and the bathroom, so roomy, It didn't lack anything. We were on the 12th floor, street view, no problem, never spent that much time in the room anyway. Everything was pretty local, right on the boardwalk, we were their for the airshow. Hotel very clean, laundry on each floor, pools in and out, also their is adult pool, at their sister resort next door, which was nice. Staff very friendly and eager to help, building was very clean, really enjoyed staying in Virginia Beach, this is our second visit, would definitely stay
there again.

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view, and of course, higher floors.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra B
VBGM1, General Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Your comments made my day! Thanks for taking time to leave us positive feedback about your stay at Ocean Beach Club. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your city view suite and our friendly staff. Your kind comments will be shared with our team. We look forward to being of service to you during future visits to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel is beautiful. The room I stayed in was great. My view of the beach was extraordinary! I will never forget my experience here. It was very clean and smelled fresh. The staff was friendly and professional! Most importantly I didn't burn a hole in my pocket. I would most certainly stay in Ocean Beach Club again and recommend to all my friends!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sadevargas
VBGM1, General Manager at Ocean Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Your comments made my day! Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. Our team was delighted to hear you were pleased with our clean resort and professional, friendly staff. We look forward to being of service to you again on your upcoming trips to Virginia Beach. Thanks again for your kind comments and business.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We are timeshare owners at Ocean Beach Club, and after our 7th year staying there, we can honestly say that this is a great place to vacation! Located near the 32nd and 31st street areas, and placed on the upper end of the Boardwalk, the location could not be better. Valet parking is available, or you can park it yourself at the deck just across the street from the resort. Several pools are available, and there is even a 21 or older pool available that is quiet and comfortable. Great restaurants right on the resort and several within a 5-min walk are available. Shopping at all price levels is also convenient near the resort. Rooms are clean and comfortable. The common areas are kept clean and aesthetically pleasing. The "family" pool is crowded at times, so you do have to plan your time of arrival. Other than that, this is a very comfortable place to stay, and you can use as many or as few of the amenities as you choose. Stay here!

Room Tip: If you want a decent view from your balcony, choose a 2-bedroom unit, or get a 1-bedroom unit that is on the south side of the building. If you are on the north side, the majority of your view will be of the building next to you, with a small view of the ocean to your right!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Galen L

Thanks for taking time to leave us positive feedback about your vacation at Ocean Beach Club. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your ownership with us and all the resorts/area offers. Your kind comments will be shared with our team. We look forward to being of service to you in 2015 for your next vacation.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Ocean Beach Club is a resort in a great location but it has issues that prevent it from being a truly amazing experience.

To put all my cards on the table, I was a vacation company exchange guest. As an exchange guest, I always feel like a 2nd class citizen when I'm away from my home resort. I'd prefer to stay at Wyndham, but since the CEO of the company that owns this resort (not to mention many nearby hotels, resorts, and restaurants near 31 Ocean) seems to have the Virginia Beach city council and mayor under his thumb, I doubt that'll ever happen anytime soon.

But I digress--the main discussion should be what made this experience an average 3 instead of a very good 4 or an excellent 5.

Starting on a positive note, here's what I felt Ocean Beach Club did well. Free internet (and at a decent speed)! Check in was very quick and painless. Also staff were on hand to help unload the car which gave the property an upscale feel not to mention keep the line of check-in traffic moving. All staff were very friendly at casual encounters in the hallways, elevators, and grounds. Additionally, you're at a beach front property--the building, grounds, and decor are all great and just put you in a relaxed mood for enjoying your time there. Room temperature is within your control and very effective (translated as wifey got cold very fast!) The water pressure in the showers and sinks is outstanding. At the end of the day with sand, ocean salt, sweat, and sun screen residue, a quick shower left me truly feeling refreshed. Lastly, there's an adult only pool and hot tub area (Aqua 21). It's nice to have a space reserved for adults to relax away from screaming and splashing.

Where could OBC improve:

First, the parking fees were beyond annoying. I'm not an owner--I get it. But I exchanged with an owner who's paying his/her maintenance fees, so hitting me up for $8/day ($56 for the week!) is a real downer.

Second, unless you are getting a guaranteed ocean view or front room, plan on having a lovely view of the street. This building wastes so much potential by not constructing "all ocean view or front" rooms as they did with the sister resort (Ocean Aire) next door.

Third, street view units have no balconies. What developer in his or her right mind doesn't include balconies at a beach property?!?!?! Madness I tell you! Where do I dry my wet clothes? Where do I put on my spray sunscreen? Where do I sit on my 10 square feet of solitude and have an evening adult beverage and watch weirdos walk by on the street? Can't do it at this property.

Fourth, this property needs to get serious about cleanliness. At check in, the place mats on the table were sticky (when were they last washed?!), the shower curtain had orange mildew stains and was an eye sore, the bathroom door had visible rust all along the hinges, and some of the bathroom towels had stains on them that appeared to be blood. Management very promptly replaced the towels--so kudos for the quick response!

Fifth, a one bedroom unit does not include in-unit laundry facilities that I've commonly found at resorts managed by other companies. There was coin-operated washer/dryer on every other floor. This compounds both the wet beach/pool/rain clothes situation and the feeling of being nickeled and dimed.

Sixth, also under the feeling of being "nickeled and dimed", there was a checklist on the refrigerator with extra services available for purchase, such as a towel exchange or a room cleaning. My expectation (and what I find at other resorts) is one towel exchange and one room tidy up mid-week (essentially empty/replace trash can liners and vacuum if needed, maybe if feeling generous a bed linen exchange). These are paid services---though apparently we did get a towel exchange and a trash can emptying. This should have been discussed at check in---unfortunately we rationed our towel allotment a bit too parsimoniously at first. Feast or famine I guess!

Seventh, the bed was extremely firm. Both wifey and I had back pains after sleeping on these mattresses. Yikes!

Eighth, the Tortuga's bar attached to the resort (affiliated/owned by gold key but a separate business from the resort) had very expensive drinks and oddly did not service the only area of the pool deck (Aqua 21 for adults 21 and over) that was reserved exclusively for guests legally able to drink. I'm still scratching my head on that one... OBC should encourage Tortuga's to service this area of the resort (literally 20 or so feet from the last chair on the deck that has a service flag) and get some happy hour specials! (There was a martini lounge that opens at 5, but this is dinner time--there's an untapped pool of thirsty customers from noon to 5.)

Lastly, OBC should really consider putting a central recycling container in the trash chute room if not in the units themselves. Loading up cans, bottles, and other recyclables for a daily trip to the municipal recycling container by the beach entrance just to feel like a responsible person was a bit much.

All-in-all, I wasn't extremely disappointed with the stay--and OBC had many great amenities. But I wasn't knocked out of my socks either. I would make the review a 3.5 if I could, but considering the issues above, I can't justify rounding up to a 4 and will have to settle on a 3.

Room Tip: Not all units have balconies or ocean views. If you can control the unit you're getting, make sure you get what you want if this matters to you.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank emperorboot

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for staying at the Ocean Beach Club. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your exchange visit with us and we appreciate your kind comments about friendly staff, great HVAC, water pressure and adult only pool/hot tub. I also appreciate your comments regarding the building and rooms layout and off-site parking, you experienced during your stay. I will certainly pass your comments along to ownership for future building/room designs based on your feedback. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again.