All reviews across the street timeshare owners full kitchen living room fire pit concierge desk adult pool hot tub off season the check in process small balcony sun deck beach front the north end unit pools tortuga
Reviewed April 21, 2008

We booked a week at the Ocean Beach Club through Interval getaways and were very excited to get a very nice place to stay for a very good price. When we got our confirmation from Interval it included a unit number, so I called over a month in advance and asked "We have a confirmation paper and it says it is for unit 6-a, is this the unit we will get?" The young lady very politely said "Yes". I then asked,"Could you tell me what I will be getting when I get there?"She said"You will get an oceanfront one bedroom suite with balcony, kitchen, bath with jacuzzi, flat screen t.v., etc...We were very happy! About an hour before we were to arrive we called to see if our room was ready and to make sure we had a balcony room (we smoke) and were told "Sorry, all the oceanfront rooms are taken,you will get city view, we can not guarantee what room you get till you get here." Not happy! When we checked in a very sweet young lady was very apoligetic and said that she could probably get us into an oceanfront after Sunday checkouts.When we got to our room (which was nice, and very clean) we had no balcony and our "city view" was of a brick wall across the street being painted.We stoped by the lobby on Saturday to remind them to move us and a gentleman at the front desk again said they were working on it and to check Sunday morning. Sunday morning came and we went down to talk to them again and were somewhat abruptly told we were not going to be moved and that pretty much was that! What made matters worse is that we knew that there were oceanfront units available, but they refused to move us.(we were the only ones on our floor) Our stay was from April 4-11 and it was freezing cold rain for the whole week, making it impossible to even walk on the boardwalk. So our "beach vacation" turned out to be watching the apt. building across the street being painted. The building is adding another wing on, and there was construction, but it was quiet. Only two elevators working(of four) , small but lovely pool (again, impossible to use), very convienient to nice restaraunts. Overall, a nice place that will be much nicer when the new section is complete, but with some customer service issues. Just dont go expecting oceanfront.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jimjax
Reviewed April 8, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed for 3 days and 2 nights. The resort is new and construction is on going. However, it is a beautiful resort. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. We had a one bedroom suite with an oceanview and a balcony. The room was beautiful and extremely clean. The pool was kind of small but still nice. I can't wait to return when all construction is complete.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Although I stayed here in February It was absolutly lovely! The weather was between 70-80 the whole week I was there I even went swimming at the heated outdoor pool. The accommodations are brand new and they are still adding on to the building. Only about half of it is completed. But the suite was clean, comfrotable, had a balcony that overlooked the ocean, full kitchen, living & dining area and 2 bedrooms. The concierege called me after I checked in to welcome me and give me a welcome packet! I was so impressed at that personal touch! Stay away from the hotel snack bar, not very good, just microwaved & prepackaged sandwiches. I hope they add a real restaurant and bar to the resort and they will be set! There is a nice little boardwalk area outside of the hotel, shopping nearby, and a great place for a southern breakfast: The Poconhontas 1 block up. The beach was very clean and well kept. I would DEFINITLY Return, I loved it!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2008

This place advertises themselves as a 4-star hilton type facility, when its more like a 2.5/3 star Holiday Inn with some 4-star qualities.

First this is a timeshare facility and you will be pressured on some level to attend a presentation or to buy or UPGRADE your timeshare. Even if you show up owning a timeshare, they will try to get you to purchase a pricier view/room/week etc.

The Bad:
There is construction going on. Not just at this resort, but around it on the street as well. It can be loud depending on where you are at the bldg. The place is only a couple of years old, but its has considerable wear and tear to be that young!! Chipped paint, beat-up elevators. Also, the craftsmanship is poor. For instance, you can see carpet seams, etc. Not a big deal.. but not the type of thing you expect at an alleged "4-star resort".
Twice during our stay there was NO HOT WATER. This is a big deal when your traveling with a baby and must give baths and wash bottles. Good grief. I complained and was told they would reset the boiler.. it got very warm (not hot) a little later.
The salespeople will pressure you to write "good" reviews on Tripadvisor :-)
The people who work here are not that nice. Seriously.

The Good:
Location is great. Good restaurants within walking distance. Views are great on the ocean side of the bldg. the suites have full kitchens with granite counters. (but remember the craftsmanship is poor, so the cabinets are built and installed sloppily with trim falling apart) The pool is nice looking, albeit smaller than the pics look, but standard for VA beach. Hardwood floor in the kitchen (kitchen is tiny about 6ftx7ft), carpet elsewhere. Plasma TV in living room area.. that is the nicest thing about the space. Regular TV in bedroom. With a full size bed. NOT king and NOT queen. That's weird.

I used to come to VA beach alot as a kid (in my 30s now) and this is very nice to be right on the beach, but you WILL pay A LOT for this if you are staying outside of a timeshare deal. I hear the Residence inn is nice. I've stayed at the Sheraton about 2 years ago and it was nicer quality for the price.. but they don't have kitchens. I usually get a better quality room (cleanliness, linens, soaps, etc) and better service at Hilton brand hotels.

We are a 30-something professional couple with an infant. We usually stay at Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn type places. This is a decent place to stay.. but there are just some quality issues for this amount of money. And they make you clean the unit before you leave.. Seriously. You have to leave it clean with dishes washed, floor sweeped etc.

My main concern is that this place is VERY "new".. why does it look so run down already???? I'd be scared if I owned a timeshare unit here.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank FreqFlyMom
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I am currently staying at the Ocean Beach Club in Virginian beach, VA and I have to report a few discrepancies:

I did not receive a Welcome Package.
The room furniture is worn and blood stained.
The toilet roll dispenser was broken.
Cigarette burn on tub.