This was second trip to this property this year. Our last week was March 2012 and we were stuck in a 1 bedroom city view (street side) on the third floor. Due to construction that is now over, we had a lot of jack hammer noise all day. No balcony means no way to open the windows due to safety.
This time we arrived very late, after 2 am. Check in day was Saturday for a week. We had bellman help to get stuff into our unit. This time it was 209, which means street side. 05,07, 09 and maybe 03-04 will always be streetside and no oceanview. Asked for oceanview and told they were full. It was Neptune Festival weekend and we knew it would be busy. We were told to ask again Sunday. Asked Sunday and Monday with no luck. So I decided to ask the staff at the front desk what does it take to get oceanview or oceanfront? The young lady was very pleasant and listened to our issues. This time on the second floor in 209 we did have a balcony with no chairs(a safety issue). This door was out of our bedroom. We went out a couple of times. We were right above the air handlers/compressors and areas where staff come out to smoke and talk. We could hear the noise at times in our bedroom. This unit had a smaller living room but more functional kitchen layout. Bathroom was also very large with doors that opened to the bedroom and kitchen. Last time we cooked fish in our unit and smelled it for days since we couldn't open a window or door. This time we could openn a door but the noise from below became an issue that we mentioned to the front desk person. She said units were assigned by Interval International. I found that hard to believe. My unit type was HARBOR. We told her were were thinking of never trading back here because of the units we always got. She decided to really search for us at this time and found a corner unit, 312. We would be looking directly into units at the new building Ocean Aire but we would have an oceanfront view over the pool. We took it! Much bigger unit. Layout a bit weird in that you walk through 2 doors in bathroom sink area to get to bedroom. Kitchen a better layout and 2 chairs in living room instead of one. She said their normally was a $50.00 cleaning fee for changing room which we were fine with that. I chose to have this conversation in the evening when no one else was around and they were not busy. The front desk person also told us to call in advance once we make the interval reservation and tell them (gold key) what we want for a unit. Gold Key is a big operation in Virginia Beach with a lot of resort properties and restaurants. We own a lot of timeshare time and never take the tour but do always take what is offered for information. I usually tell them I own a lot and they don't hassle us.
You now have access to adults only indoor pool on the ground level of Ocean Aire and it is very nice. Hot tub attched and a gas fire pit with chairs that overlook the boardwalk. Very nice area. Also have a Martini Bar close by.
My comments about the pool areas are that they do post readings and run the pool at a 5 ppm chlorine level. The ph was a little all over the place 7.0-7.8. Readings are taken several times per day and you will see staff testing the water. They clean the pool area every morning before opening at 8 am. The pool area was pressure washed one evening and it left some of the chairs dirty and spotted. They came back the next day to clean again. It really caused the pool to become cloudy as we could see the dirt the staff was brushing up from our third floor balcony. Even after vaccuming, the cloudiness persisted. The pool needed a clarifier. 2 days after pressure washing it was still hazy. One time I got in and the bugs and leaves were all over the place. I checked the skimmers and determined the filter did not appear to be running. I spoke to one of the staff who work in the pool area and was told the skimmers had not been turned back on after vaccuming. I have a pool business and I am a little picky about public pools. Unfortunately were were checking out but if it would have remained cloudy, I would have complained to management. The resort does do a good job staffing the pool and monitoring it but needed to address the pressure washer contractor. I did find the chlorine level a little high and irritating to my skin. This is a salt water pool.
Overall we enjoy this resort. It has a nice pool area and good beach access. Everyone has been helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Beach Club features upscale studios with kitchenettes, and 1- and 2-bedroom suites with fully-equipped kitchens and separate living rooms with queen sleeper sofas. Resort amenities include an oceanfront adult only infinity pool with bar service, an indoor pool with cascading water features, two outdoor oceanfront pools including a children's pool, a 17th floor ocean view fitness center, and a Game Room. Guests can enjoy a specialty cocktail at Ultra Craft Cocktails Lounge, or dine poolside for breakfast, lunch or dinner at seasonal Tortugas Café & Tiki Bar. Accommodations feature private balconies with city views or ocean views, jetted tubs in suites, cable TV with premium channels, DVD players, free Wi-Fi and in-room safes. Ocean Beach Club also offers laundry facilities onsite, a concierge to plan excursions and a Business Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Ocean Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Beach Club Hotel Virginia Beach
- Ocean Beach Hotel
- Ocean Beach Club Virginia Beach
- Ocean Beach Virginia
- Ocean Beach Club Resort