“With Disappointment”

Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
VA
“With Disappointment”
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I am currently staying at the Ocean Beach Club in Virginian beach, VA and I have to report a few discrepancies:

I did not receive a Welcome Package.
The room furniture is worn and blood stained.
The toilet roll dispenser was broken.
Cigarette burn on tub.

With Disappointment,

• Liked — the kitchen
  • Disliked — The loung/living area
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Goldendreamz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
Frederiksted, St. Croix
Reviewed January 25, 2008

This resort is located on Atlantic Street or Blvd. (I forget, even though we've been coming back every year for the past 4 years!)

The resort itself is higher end quality. Plasma TVs in living rooms, beautiful rooms, ammenities are nice! Located to an uncountable amount of restaurants, both right there on "the strip" and then those a little bit further out from "the strip." The Melting Pot is a very upscale restaurant. A bit pricey, but worth EVERY DIME! It's not your typical restaurant it's more of your sort of restaurants you'd go to for a special occassion or if you just want to make ANY night EXTRA SPECIAL! Service is awesome! Then there's The Cheesecake Factory....DELICIOUS...is all I have to say! Then Ruth Chris's Steakhouse! You will recieve TOP NOTCH SERVICE, FOOD, ATMOSPHERE, ETC. again pricey but WELL WORTH IT! Now I've mostly mentioned some of the high end restaurants but there's also the "middle of the road," and more "ecconomical" restaurants. I won't have space to list them all; so I'll just blurt them out in no particular order! Catch 31...awesome whether you decide on indoors dining or out! RockFish, also good. There are just too many to list!

Back to the resort and area! The resort is currently adding more ammenities to the resort. (I know you automatically think construction...right? Well, you're only partially right. They do make every effort for this construction to NOT interfere with your vacation! "The boardwalk" area is CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just like the beach, which is cleaned every morning around 4 or 5am. So when you wake up...goregous views for miles! No matter what time of year or your age group(s), I'm sure you'll have a great time at this resort and in Virginia Beach!

• Liked — Things to do and see!
  • Disliked — Having to go back home!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Islandgirl429
Harrisonburg, VA
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I booked this hotel for a mini honeymoon for myself and my new husband. Check in was for 4pm, but we arrived early. I asked for a ocean view room and was immediately granted one. The room wasn't quite ready so we had a drink at the Tiki Bar and strolled the beach while we waited. Before we even knew it our room was ready! We were extremely pleased with the overall cleanliness of the hotel. Everyone was very helpful and pleasant. We paid for valet service, but on the morning of our departure the valet that was to work was ill so the girl at the reception desk refunded our money and we just went and got our car ourselves...the parking garage was very close so it was no big deal. The view we had from our room was absolutely gorgeous and we both wished we could of stayed longer. I would definately recommend this hotel. My new husband and I were both very pleased with everything about it.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank chelosgirl0802
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 22, 2007

This hotel promises that their rooms all have queen-size beds, but they are flat-out lying. Our room had one tiny full-size bed, which was way too small for two petite adults. One of us ended up sleeping on the uncomfortable couch. I raised the issue to management, but they just kept insisting that the bed was a queen, which was absolutely false. I am 5'5" and my feet were dangling off the edge.

Other than that, the place is clean and has a great location. The concierge was fairly rude, and their check-out time is a painful 10 a.m. (after a 4 p.m. check-in time). All-in-all, it's not the worst place, but be prepared for a minuscule bed and an early check out.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tiny bed, unhelpful management
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank bluestraveler_7

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Washington, DC
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We own a week here at the resort and stayed in our unit. We have a street side unit which is fine for us. The unit is nice enough.

However, even though we were told about the construction in advance, we had no idea that it would be soooo loud! It started as early as 6:30 am and there was no way we could sleep in (which, after all, is one of the primary reasons we go on vacation).
The drilling and pounding makes trying to relax in our unit impossible and contributed greatly to several headaches.

I have never stayed in a place that charged for internet service. $5.00 a day! Good grief. Even Holiday Inn has free internet. This really needs to change.

Also, the laundry area on the 14th floor seemed rather dirty. I really would prefer a stackable washer/dryer combo in the unit, like many other resorts have. But failing that, a clean laundry area is a must. Complimentary laundry would help too. It costs $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry. If this place is going to charge, the laundry room should at least be clean.

The pool was very cold, almost unusable. Plus small. Though there are pools planned for the next phase. Hopefully, they will be warmer.

We also were under a large amount of pressure to go to the "Owners' Update" which is mostly pressure to upgrade to a costlier unit. We refused to go, but were heavily pressured more than once.

I do think that after Phase II is finished this place will be much better. At least the noise will abate somewhat. Hopefully, they'll wake up and offer free internet like everyone else.

• Liked — being at Virginia Beach and away from work
  • Disliked — construction noise and internet fee
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank libbyalex
Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 15, 2007

I must admit that I was attracted by their glitzy website and the fact that this resort had an upscale vibe. I really wanted a luxurious (to me) vacation, and that's exactly what I got!

As soon as I laid eyes on the resort I knew I picked the right place. The building and grounds are beautiful, the lobby and common areas are so classy looking yet not so stuffy that you're afraid to sit down and relax. Check-in went smoothly and we had our room keys in a matter of minutes. We chose to unload our own bags and take them to our room ourselves although there were staff available to help if we needed. We also chose to self-park in their garage across the street, which was free as a hotel guest...if you choose to use the valet service it's $5 a day, but totally up to you.

Our room was perfect. We were in 903, a one bedroom suite with oceanview and a small balcony. I was a bit sad to see no furniture on the balcony but in hindsight it really wasn't an issue since we were barely out there but a few minutes each morning and evening. If we really wanted to we could have used the dining room chairs, but like I said we were out and in pretty quickly. The view facing the south was wonderful and we could see the ocean from both the living room and bedroom. The kitchen was great to have as well since we were able to have breakfast there each morning and have a place to prepare our lunch to take to the beach. The living room and dining areas were very spacious and the furniture quite comfortable...the plasma TV on the wall was very nice too! The bathroom joined the living room and bedroom and thankfully the tub and toilet were seperate from the double vanity which definitely helped save time when getting ready in the morning and evening. The bathroom too was very spacious and more than adequate. I was able to enjoy the jacuzzi tub on the first night but wished I had time to use it more. I especially enjoyed the Bath & Body Works soaps, shampoo and lotion the resort provided - a very nice touch! They were generous with the towels and replenished them each day. Once they forgot to give us washcloths and we had them within minutes of placing a phone call to the front desk. The bedroom was also spacious with more than enough clothes storage space. The bed was quite comfortable too. There was a safe provided in the closet (they charge you $1/day whether you use it or not) which we were thankful for - just to have the piece of mind that our jewelry, cash and credit cards were staying put. We were more than happy with our room and they provide you with all the comforts of home that it's almost impossible for me to complain.

We also really enjoyed the pool area although they MUST fix the heater! After the sun goes down the water is just way too cold and takes forever to get your body to adjust. Otherwise during the day it's great! They have plenty of lounge chairs and are very generous with the towels - they never run low. I will admit the pool is just a bit small but that will be remedied when the next tower is complete. However, it was never crowded and served it's purpose for us. The Tiki Bar is just awesome! The prices are very reasonable as well and we took full advantage on a daily basis! It was so nice to be able to have a frozen drink in your hand while lounging by the pool - what more do you need?! We never ordered anything from Tortugas but the food we did see looked very good and the service was very quick. They do provide complimentary coffee 24 hours a day which is a nice touch.

The beach is only steps away and there are chairs, lounges, umbrellas and cabanas for rent right at the entrance. We were able to get two lounges with cushions and an umbrella for $36/day...not too bad.

I highly recommend Pi Pizzeria across the street. We loved it so much we ate there twice! Their pizza is just delicious and the prices are not bad at all. Try the Chocolate Lovin' Spoon Cake - soooo yummy!!! We also had dinner at Catch 31 in the Hilton a few blocks up, such a wonderful atmosphere! It is a bit on the pricey side but definitely a great experience and our food was very good. There are live bands every night right outside in front of the statue of King Neptune which is very cool! This place is hopping on a nightly basis and is definitely the place to be!

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip and would love to return within the next few years. We hope to stay at the OBC again!

By the way, yes this is a time share resort but we were not pressured at all to attend their presentation. They called one time on our last full day there...we declined and that was that. And yes, they are also doing construction on the second tower but the noise was never a problem for us since our room was located on the entrance side of the building, farthest from where the men were working. Even when we were outside at the pool the noise was not really an issue...the jets flying over created more noise than the construction!!! I think this resort is only going to get better as they expand. I can't wait to see the finished product!

• Liked — The great room and view
  • Disliked — No pool heat
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Froggiegirl621
Shenandoah Valley
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We stayed at the OB Club Sept 7-9. I made my reservation over the phone while looking at the web site. I asked for an oceanfront 1-bedroom suite. What I got was a PARTIAL oceanfront (mostly parking lot and Atlantic Ave) and the balcony was so small they didn't even put a chair on it. I was truly disappointed and would have never reserved that room, had I realized how what it was. Of course no oceanfronts were available.

I expressed my concern to the nice front desk folks who explained that the reservation staff is off-site and may not realize the difference. The front desk staff are the ones who used the term "partial oceanfront" after I complained. I also asked for some money off my rate (I knew the town was full or I would have gotten another room elsewhere) and was told only a manager could do that. I asked for a manager to contact me. None did -- not the entire weekend.

An hour after check-in the concierge called to see how things were. I told him about my disappointment and he, too, said only a manager could compensate me.

The next day the same concierge called. He remembered my situation and asked if a manager had contacted me. I had to tell him no. He said he could give me $60 off my room rate if I went to the 90-minute presentation aimed at getting people to buy timeshares. Wow, what nerve. I mean he was nice and all, but really.

The pool is much smaller than it appears on the site and is in the shade for much of the afternoon.

For the money in Virginia Beach, you can stay at a better place with more responsive management.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — having to pay for internet $5/day and totally unresponsive management
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family