“Quiet”
Review of Four Sails Resort

Four Sails Resort
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2008

The Four Sails reviews put it at ranked 4 out of the many hotels/condos on Virginia Beach. While it was very nice, it was old and in need of updating. The rooms were smaller than we'd expected, but we had enough room for my husband, myself, and my mother. The jacuzzi jets weren't very powerful & the shower sprayed into the window, but other than that, everything seemed in order. With the sink for the bath being outside the bathroom, that helped with preparation time when we were getting ready. It was nice to have 2 balconies and a full kitchen. They even had dishwashing soap there to use, so we were able to cut eating expenses a bit by eating in a few times. There was no coffee in the room, however, so if you go, you may want to take your own or buy some once you get there. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had access to free bicylcles, and they even had free chairs we used for the beach. We enjoyed the outside restaurant for breakfast the first morning we were there.

Reviewed August 18, 2008

My family of four stayed here the second week in August. The location is fabulous! We were right near everything, including fireworks and live bands. I can't say enough about the prime spot.

The rooms are very small. It was quite hard to squeeze four people in this place. The rooms were clean and somewhat up-to-date. The garage is crazy. If you do not get parking on the bottom floor, go straight up to the third floor, skipping the second. There is an indoor pool, which is nice when it rains. The staff was very nice and helpful.

Virginia beach is awesome. Try Pocahantas Pancakes for breakfast and Rudee's on the inlet for lunch or dinner. Stay away from Pi Pizza if you are from Philly or New York, it's like cardboard with sauce on it.

1  Thank JenandDennis
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Stayed a week in August at Four Sails. Room was a little small, the bedroom was fine for husb and wife, we had 2 teen boys in the living room. One slept on the sofa's queensize hidaway. The other slept on a rollaway cot. We had to completely reconfigure the furniture and put some chairs out on the balcony to make it work but it was fine even in close quarters. Kitchen was OK, had everything we needed.
I have to say the A/C was superb, I love a cold hotel room and we were quite comfortable even tho the temps rose above 95 a few days. Balcony had two sliding doors, one for the br and one for the living rm so it was great.
The oceanfront view was wonderful, lots of people watching. Huge jacuzzi tub and shower nice and roomy, good water pressure. The sinks had very low water pressure, however. Didn't like that. Decor was somewhat outdated, could use some new bedspreads and carpet. Bed was comfortable but sheets kept slipping off mattress. Lots of mirrors in this room if you like that. Entire wall of living room was a huge mirror. Made room look bigger. Sliding closet doors in br were mirror doors as well.
Indoor pool was like a bathtub, we used it a few times. Our room was on the 7th fl. and the hallway overlooked the pool, it was cool to look down and see all the people swimming. Only thing is the hallway was very humid and smelled like chlorine due to the pool.
Like everyone else said in their reviews--SLOWWW elevator but we learned to deal with it. Parking was fine, never had trouble finding a spot.
A word about the wireless internet- we had trouble-free use for the first 2 days then it stopped working. An inquiry at the desk revealed a "hacker" had gotten into the server and in order to resume use of the internet we had to purchase a cable for $5 and we were no longer wireless but were able to at least connect. Whatever. They have to make their money somehow I suppose.
We got discount tickets to Busch Gardens from Four Sails. Regular park price is $56, we paid $45. Very nice savings. Ate in the hotel restaurant only once-breakfast. Not great and very pricey.

All in all a wonderful week and would recommend this hotel to others. Price was good, no body approached us to buy a timeshare unit.

1  Thank psmith27
Reviewed July 18, 2008

We just returned from a six-night stay at Four Sails. We were pleased with everything from reservation to check out. The front desk, housekeeping, and maintenance staff are all very efficient , accomodating, and friendly.

We chose this property because of their:
1) positive tripadvisor.com reviews
2) size and configuration of units, and
3) very reasonable prices.

Our unit was very clean and extremely well-equipped. We took our hair dryer and blender, but were pleased to see that they had both. I really liked that all of the dinnerware were wrapped and covered. We got good sleep in the bed and the sofa bed was comfortable and roomy enough for two 6-foot-plus sons. The tub, as other reviewers have noted, was wonderful.

The double length balcony of our unit easily accomodated all four of us. The sundeck on the eighth floor provided a quiet, shady spot for morning coffee.

I got a very low wireless signal in our eighth floor unit, but had I used a cat-5 cable in the port provided the response time would probably would have been much better. But the wireless signal was ample for checking my email.

I agree with other reviewers' comments about the tight parking garage and the single, slow elevator; however, it was kind of fun to navigate through the garage, we always found a covered parking space, and there's not one ding on my full-size car. As for the elevator, we got additional exercise by taking the stairs up to and down from our unit on the eighth floor.

I felt safe on the property. It's very well lit and you have to use your key card to enter the building from parking deck number 2.

We used their free bicycles once or twice each day. We enjoyed several breakfasts and one lunch at the 33rd Street Cafe. They have WONDERFUL french toast and omelettes and you can't beat the prices.

The location of the Four Sails is great. It's at the north end and I would say a few blocks up from the "strip". Across Atlantic Avenue is a PIzzeria with gourmet pizza. Two short blocks south is 31st street where great live music was featured every night. The boardwalk is wide, with a separate bike path. We enjoyed fireworks from the balcony on three nights. The beach is extremely wide here. The lifeguards keep a close watch on swimmers and blow their whistles quite a bit, but they are just doing their job.

Congratulations to the City of Virginia Beach for the improvements that they have made since we were there more than five years ago. We are Virginia residents and will be back to the beach and the Four Sails.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank VirginiaLoveToGo
Reviewed May 22, 2008

We went for my son's wedding on the beach. It was planned in less then 4 weeks so there was much to be done. We were in unit 303, 1 bedroom suite, both balconys adjoined for Ocean View. So I was looking for:
Space: for myself, my husband and 17 year old (He slept on pull out couch) no problem
Ocean View: Spectacular!
Balcony: For family to spread out on so no conjestion in the kitchen.
Full size, Fully equiped kitchen: Yes and No, Full size WALL UNIT oven which is about 2/3 the size of a full (They tell you its full, NOT!) and 2 burner stove not 4.
I needed to be able to cook 40lbs of Beef brisket for 12 hours for the reception. After asking the front desk for a 2nd oven rack (which they provided quickly) I had no problem and the Hotel smelled really good the rest of the day :)) I know how nuts that sounds but it was necessary and actually a fun relaxing day for family to gather that hadn't seen each other in awhile. My son The Groom is a US Marine and married a Marine so there wasn't much time.
The kitchen had nice extras like paper towels/salt and pepper/dish soap and dishwasher powder. Crappy sponge, bring your own. All dishes etc wrapped and clean.
Huge whirlpool tub. TV in living and Bedroom/DVD player and stereo.
If you want and impressive lobby or halls its not here. But the suites will not disappoint. SLLLLLLLLow elevator during the day, early or late no problem. The parking garage is rediculous. Don't rent a big car and go slow and you'll be fine. They have pillars all over the garage that eat up way too much square feet and make it dificult to navigate.
The place was clean, no bugs, some reviews of Virginia Beach Hotels were a little creepy.
Would I stay there again, yep! It was very nice and affordable, don't forget to go to their website and print the 10% off coupon and give it to them when you ck in.
Maybe next time I'll actually go for a vacation and not cook, but its nice to know you can if its necessary.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank trece613
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We just came back from a great stay at Four Sails in Virginia Beach. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. When we arrived we were offered the option of the north end penthouse for $27 more per night. It was fun to have the option and check out both rooms, but I liked the view from our 7th floor inside condo better. I paid $71 per night for a one bedroom condo and was very pleased with what I paid.

I travelled with my 3 children ages 13 to 6. Our criteria was oceanfront, indoor pool, kitchen and seporate sitting area outside the bedroom. Four Sails was a great fit for us. We had an inside unit with full ocean front views from both the bedroom and the kitchen/sitting room. Preparing meals while watching the ocean waves was wonderful. The rooms were decorated nicely and we all loved the huge oversized jacuzzi tub. The balcony spread from one room to the other with several chairs and tables for morning coffee or afternoon refreshments.

It building was VERY QUIET. We never heard anything from the other rooms or hallways. Another plus was the room darkening shades that really worked, allowing us to sleeping in some days.

The swimming pool was great and it had plenty of tables for me to sit beside the pool and catch up on my email. They claim there is only internet access at the pool and cafe but I found I could get on the wireless web in my room at the kitchen counter.

Since I had children, I liked being able to see the pool from our door (7th floor - 4th floor). The kids could walk down themselves and wait for me or a child could stay in the room but be in touch with us. Elevator was prompt, parking spaces were tight but probably because it was off season, we were fine and had fun testing my parking skills.

I liked that they had bikes for you to sign out (they even had two small ones that would have fit my 6 and 10 year old if we had not brought the kid bikes). The "activites" were fun and a pleasant diversion. Monday they had free donuts and coffee by the pool, at 4pm they had a welcome reception with wine, soda,light snacks, nothing lavish but we met some new friends there and won a door prize. They also had crafts and bingo all staffed with very friendly people.

The only small negative was dust in corners. I travel with lysol wipes so I could easily wipe down the remotes, tv, display shelves, top of hair dryer, etc where dust accumulated. Otherwise all else appeared very clean. They give you plenty of towels.

The well equipped kitchen with two burner stove top, oven and dishwasher had everything sanitized and was wrapped when you first arrived. They even provide dish and dishwasher soap, sponge and papertowels. The laundry was on the second floor and was very clean and easy to use ($1 for wash and $1 for dryers).

We we were there it was quite windy but we still managed to spend days riding bikes on the boardwalk, swimming in the indoor pool, walking on the beach, doing the condo activities, visit the aquarium, and catch up on cable tv which we do not have at home! A very relaxing vacation, we would definatly stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Momstertraveller
Reviewed March 16, 2008

The rooms were great, the prices were right and the young man at the front desk was top rate. The rooms had ample room, the pool was very warm 4th floor indoor pool? wow ha. My family and I had a wonderfull time and I would tell every one about the Four Sails.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family