“Great Stay at a Great Price”
Review of Four Sails Resort

Four Sails Resort
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Before staying at the Four Sails, I had done some research in the area to see where you could really get your best bang for your buck and stay right on the beach. Early on the Four Sails jumped off the page but unlike the other hotels in the area, this is not a national chain and it was hard to figure out if I should only believe the good reviews or the bad reviews. In the end I decided to give it a shot and thankfully I made the right decision. My wife and I traveled with our toddler age son and we had a great time.

Check in was very quick and easy, they were even able to supply us with a crib for our son. While the parking may be considered tight, there is garage on-site which some hotels on Virginia Beach do not have. The covered parking was very nice especially during the thunderstorm that came through the area on Saturday night. The rooms are very basic but clean, there is plenty of room to store any food you bring and they supplied enough dishes for us to use the entire weekend.

Our room had an ocean front balcony that could be accessed from the bed room or the family room. The only minor downside of our room was the noise that could be heard from the indoor pool which was on the floor below us and would impact the 4th through 6th floors, but we didn't hear the noise past 9 pm on either night we were there.

The room included 2 flat screen tvs, a dvd/vcr player (the front desk has movies to rent), a stereo and all seemed pretty well kept. The TV had all of the standard and basic cable stations including a few stations in HD.

The location was really amazing, while it is just north of some of the older, well known Virginia Beach hotels and restaurants, there is a lot of new restaurants, hotels and shops coming to this area. The Oceans 31 development is a couple blocks away and it includes a couple of fantastic restaurants and Neptune park is just a couple blocks away as well. Also Pi-Zzeria and Casby's Tapas Bar and Grill are right across the street.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and hope to come back in the fall.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed March 18, 2011

I thought I'd write a review for Four Sails, as I just completed my reservation for the upcoming beach season. We stayed last year and absolutely loved it. I recommend the end unit Queen suite if you can get it; it offers both beach and street balconies. VERY TIGHT parking garage. Avoid driving the SUV. Beautiful, well maintain beach. Pretty much in the center of VA Beach; walking to lots of attractions. Great staff; small livingroom but adult son said the sleep sofa was comfortable. Flat screen TVs, nice bathroom. Looking forward to coming again.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank p8umpkinseed
Reviewed March 13, 2011

For $62 with a AAA discount, I can't really complain about anything at the four sails. The small parking garage right next to the hotel made check-in quick, and while the front desk persons weren't the most helpful, they got everything done pretty quickly. Walking through the halls doesn't really inspire one with much confidence, but the rooms are great.

Our Queen bedroom suite had two larger flat-screen TVs, a large, comfortable couch, a well-appointed and clean kitchen, and a very nice jacuzzi tub (which was duly utilized). Water pressure was good, sheets were clean, and the towels were thick. The view of Virginia Beach from the 9th floor balcony (and every room has an ocean view balcony) is nearly perfect, as the Four Sails is positioned closer to the boardwalk than some of the other hotels along "the strip".

The only reason I rate this room 4 stars instead of 5 was a cucaracha sighting. Now, because I live in Williamsburg not far up the road, I don't really fault hotels in the area too much for cockroaches, since these bugs are both common and multitudinous here. Moreover, because this hotel is a timeshare location as much as a hotel, it isn't full service, and extended stays by prior parties may have induced a critter or two into the room before we arrived. The room itself was nearly spotless, so I'd guess this is not the fault of housekeeping, but it's still not the best experience to have while on vacation.

Oh, and one more thing: Bring toiletries. Again, because this is a suite/timeshare, you are expected to have your own shampoo and conditioner, and they do not have any at the front desk. Soap is provided.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank kwhitegocubs
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stayed here with my husband and 11 year old daughter. I read many of the reviews before I decided on this resort. I have to say that the other reviews were right on point. The parking lot was very small and we were glad we decided to take our smaller car. The 1 bedroom unit was pretty small as well but comfortable. We stayed on the 4th floor which is the entrance to the pool and the chlorine is very strong when you step out of your door but when inside we didn't smell it at all. I was a little disappointed because there were some ants in the room when we checked in. We called and maintenance came right away to try and rectify the problem. Also the unit needs some furniture upgrades. Housekeeping was great, Bonita always checked to see if we needed anything and they provided plenty of towels. The view of the beach from our balcony was so beautiful! Would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank senashant
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Even the Four Sails 1 BR units have a balcony on the ocean. MOST have TWO balconies on the ocean! The new furniture and 42" flat screen TV's are great. Also how many timeshares do you know with FREE high speed internet? :-)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kenny_G-&-Susie_C
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Have been a timeshare owner here for many years. Four Sails is a timeshare/hotel property that always exceeds my expectations. Although the one bedrooms are small due to Virginia Beach code that is in place to allow more people to have oceanfront rooms, if your concern is more in location, service and update-to-date furnishings, this is the place. First time back to my home resort in a couple years. The management here has always been known for continually using its maintenance fees wisely to upgrade and improve. Immediately noted new flat panel TVs, new curtains, bedspreads and furniture. Hurricane curtains have been installed on balconies if needed. Also new audio systems and ipod clock radios. The view continues to be superb. What was once the upper end of the boardwalk with lesser development now has now blossomed with Marriotts and Hiltons. Check-in was fast. This timeshare has no sales pitch. They have a couple of signs that direct you to an office if you have any interest in resales. Max has been there for maybe 15 years. The first morning a call came from Housekeeping asking if everything was ok on check-in. Found plastic covers on all glasses, utensils, etc after they were sanitized. Indoor pool when the weather requires is always kept up well. For internet users the only drawback currently is that all rooms are hardwired with cable - but I hear that wireless is on the agenda. The jacuzzis in each room are huge - the largest of any facility I've ever stayed at. This is the kind of place where you could just relax the entire week and enjoy the ocean view - but should you not be content with that the choice of restaurants and activities (walking the boardwalk, biking, swimming, shopping and all the things to see in the Hampton Roads area) make this an ideal vacation location. I prefer the winter period - most think its cold and why go to the beach? Yes - some days can be chilly but with the ocean and the Chesapeake Bay the gulf stream current keeps the area warmer - the next two days will be in the 60s. Overall - this is one of the best maintained timeshares I've seen and is well deservant of its Silver Crown status.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oceanliner1
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This is a wonderful place right on the beach! We were searching for something that would work on a tight budget for a family of 6. It was worth all of the searching! We had the Penthouse Room with the best ocean view. The room was just the right size & the staff was amazing. They also just updated everything so it was even better then we had hopped. We all ready booked everything for our trip back next year!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family