Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I visited this hotel during Spring Break (March 2013) . This one is easily one the cleanest hotel in Virginia Beach and I've been to many hotels in Virginia Beach before. Not sure how it looks during the summer but it looked great during my stay. I had some hesitation at the beginning because it allows pets but we didn't find anything objectionable. Parking lot is very small so you'd have rely on the valet. Breakfast (included) is decent. Staffs was very helpful. I asked for a roll away bed and it was delivered in no time. I will certainly consider going back to this hotel in my next visit to VA Beach.

6  Thank VA_Tourist101
Jamie R, Front Desk Supervisor at Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am pleased to here that our hotel was up to your standards. We all try our best to keep the hotel to Marriott Standards. I'm happy to hear that the staff took care of your need for a rollaway in a timely manner. Also, thank you for choosing Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront and hope to see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about the Residence Inn Virginia Beach. My family and I were looking for a vacation that was within driving distance (10 hours), was at the beach, allowed dogs and had amusement parks close by (40mins to Busch Gardens). We never expected that we would be so impressed with the accomodations. The staff was friendly, the free breakfast buffet outstanding and we loved the dinner buffet on Wed. Our room was fabulous (2 queen bed suite). It was roomy and had everything we needed. The staff was without question the best we have experienced and we travel at least once a year. I was told that they take reservations up to 9 months in advance and I have my calendar marked in July to make my reservations for next April. Outstanding!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor (P) and we loved that we had no noise from above.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank NancyB824
Jamie R, Front Desk Supervisor at Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. I am happy to hear that you are looking at staying with us again in the future. As we would love the opportunity again to provide you the level of service you deserve from the Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Really friendly staff. Typical outstanding Marriott quality. After I checked out and returned to my home, there was a message from the Marriott front desk telling me I had left my jacket in the room. They asked my permission to ship the jacket to the address on the credit card and charge on the card the shipping fee. Three days later my favorite jacket arrived. Can you believe that level of service??? They were under no obligation to call me or go through the trouble of shipping my jacket. It is so rare to find service like that. What a terrific Marriott. Thanks.

Room Tip: I think every room has an ocean view. This hotel is 10 feet from the beach. WOW!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank DerbyForever
Jamie R, Front Desk Supervisor at Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

We're so delighted to hear that you recieved your favorite jacket back! As always, we enjoy treating our guests with the same outstanding hospitality, prompt service, and friendliness that we would expect for ourselves on vacation. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, and we hope to see you again! Have a wonderful year!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We so enjoyed our visit. The rooms are first class and in a great location. We loved watching the full moon rise over the ocean. The staff could not have been nicer! A special thanks to Lillian at the front desk!

Room Tip: Every room is a suite and has a full view of the ocean. It does not get any better than that.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Arlee54

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront. We are pleased you enjoy your stay with us! We hope the next time you find yourself in our area you choose to come back home to the Residence Inn Virginia Beach. Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and Lillian our Front Desk Associate.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

First, let me state that what really "broke" our trip was the weather. We planned a family (wife and two daughters under 12) spring break getaway in Virginia Beach for five days and four nights. The first night was spent with some local relatives and the remainder at a beachfront hotel. When my wife and I travel with the kids, we always try for hotel properties that offer one-bedroom suites w/pullout sofas and some kitchenette amenities. For this trip we also wanted an in-door pool as we knew it would definitely not be swim in the ocean weather.

We settled on the Residence Inn by Marriot and found a $169/night rate that included free breakfast. I also signed up for Marriott Rewards this time. We arrived at the beach on Sunday afternoon with a cold rain and sleet storm passing through. This was the first sign that the weather would not be on our side for this vacation. Nonetheless, we looked forward to spending time together.

The hotel's location was perfect and the room was as described; a very good size for the four of us. However, our first night was a bit of a disaster as we had an extremely loud heating unit that was inexplicably located in the corner of the bedroom across from the bed and next to the television. ( note-heating the room was necessary as the evening temps dropped into the low 30s during our stay). We didn't immediately complain about the noise and only mentioned it when the front desk called to check on how our room was. They sent a maintenance tech to the room promptly, but he did absolutely nothing, said the sound level was "less than in some other rooms" and that there was nothing he could do to muffle it. Needless to say, my wife and I had one of the worst nights of sleep in a hotel room of our lives. It was difficult to sleep and stay asleep with the noise. It even drowned out the sound of the television when we tried to use it to block the heating vent noise. I eventually turned the temp down low to keep it from running so frequently, but this had everyone shivering when they woke in the morning.

The next morning I complained in person to the front desk and they sent up an extremely competent maintenance manager ( the Monday morning guy as opposed to the Sunday night guy we had at first.) He muffled the door of the heating unit by stapling a towel over the openings and later in the day sent a second tech to add a second buffer towel. He also explained that the heating unit placements in the room are a design flaw throughout the building and that the hotel is gradually correcting it. We really appreciated his candor as well as his efficiency and were very impressed when he offered to have our rate reduced for the first night's stay because of the lack of effort by the first maintenance man.

Along with the colder than expected weather, we also had a few hours without water the next day when a major water main break caused north Virginia Beach to shut off the water supply for repairs. Obviously, this was not the hotel's fault, but this on top of the cold weather and the unrestful first night's stay prompted us to leave a day early and cut the trip short. Upon check out the next morning, the hotel reduced the daily rate by $10 and did not charge a cancellation fee for the early departure. This was acceptable, but my wife was miffed at how the staff was not immediately communicative about the order to boil drinking water that came for the city government the previous day.

Overall, this Residence Inn offers a good location and responsive service by the staff to guest needs ( when speaking to the right person) . The room served our needs and was a perfect size, but the hvac issue was certainly not something that they were unaware of prior to our complaint and had it not been corrected, we were prepared to check out the next day regardless. The indoor pool is small and while our kids used it both nights, guests with rowdier, unsupervised children easily overwhelmed the space fairly quickly. My kids ( who are diligent rule followers) were annoyed when more than the maximum swimmers allowed number -16- was exceeded. The morning breakfast is good, but heavy on the breads and waffles; no eggs, bacon offerings, but there was thin ham slices for meat. The hotel also has a daily happy hour with small hot and cold appetizers that are a good way to give a light meal or grab some extra snacks for your room.

Room Tip: Inspect the HVAC unit immediately for the level of sound it emits. If it hasn't been insulated o...
1  Thank Farmerica

Thank you for your comments in which you informed us thatour hotel did not meet your standards. We are sorry that you experienced this problem and we want you to know we are working to improve our standards so that you and our future guests are able to have a great experience while staying with us in the future. Here at the Residence Inn we take all guest concerns very seriously. While we make every attempt to ensure that our hotel meets every guests standards we apologize that this unfortunate incident was missed by our staff. We are very appreciative that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention and would like to thank you for staying with us here at the Residence Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our 6 night stay in March 2013 was wonderful. The staff was extremely friendly and always willing to help with any questions or requests. This was our second time at this hotel mainly because we enjoyed so much the first time several years ago.

1  Thank Robert S

So happy to hear that you returned to our property. I can not thank you enough for the kind words praising the associates you came in contact with during your stays with us. I wil share your comments with our staff and I know it will make them appreciate all their hard work!! Thank you again!!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Friendly friendly staff, Nice and clean
Full breakfast buffet eggs,meats,potatoes assorted breads & juices,milk,cereal,etc. They do not have a resturant there, so they bring in a staff just to cook & serve this.
Couple midweek socials.
Feels like Home, Rooms are suites, living room & kitchen,
other room, bedroom with full windowview floor to ceiling & bath, all rooms face the ocean with private balcony
Atlantic Ocean 100 yards away, with beautiful sunrises
Full kitchen with cabinets,dishes,pots & pans, fullsize microwave,refrigarator,dishwasher, 2 burner stove,
can make ur own ice !!!!!
2 free newspapers local & usa today & doggy biscuits.
Other guests seem super friendly, I believe it is because,
they are showing off their dogs or making over yours.
NEGATIVES, NOTE THESE do not bother us at ALL !!!!!
Since this is a review to plan a trip, Im being unbias.
1) parking limited, solution they offer FREE valet parking.
2) HVAC unit loud, since all rooms face water & other
is a hallway, they were limited on location, solution
use it and cut it off, if it bothers you that much.
3) This is a dog motel, u could experience dog problems !!
4) Dated and damaged furniture, refer to item #3 above,
Why put new furniture in rooms with animals ???
Thanx for allowing the animals to bring their human owners !!!
Cant wait till our visit next YEAR !!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank david f

Thank you for taking the time to filled out a Trip Advisor comment about our hotel. We really appreciate the detailed comments about your stay here at the Residence Inn. So happy to hear that your stay with us was a home sweet home experience. Can't wait to see you next year!!!