“Unexpectedly Family Friendly”

Catch 31
Ranked #11 of 1,431 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: For avid diners who are visiting Virginia Beach or live within 20 miles of the VB Oceanfront and are looking for the premier dining location, Catch 31 with unique oceanfront dining vignettes and located on the most recognized and valuable real estate in Virginia Beach offers the largest selection of fresh fish and seafood delivered in contemporary style and with high energy.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Unexpectedly Family Friendly”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had lunch at Catch 31 on 3 of our 4 days at VB. We were quite surprised by the kids menu with it being a nicer restaurant. The pizza out of the wood-fired oven was very good, and of course the adult entrees were wonderful.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“It's a fine catch!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This was a return visit to Catch 31...my last , was during a trip in December, 2013.
The difference on this trip, was that we were able to sit outside, and enjoy a nice evening, and some good live music....That's before we talk about the food!!! It was a good evening...good service , and good food!!
This restaurant is recommended, whether you choose to sit outside, or inside.

Whether business, or pleasure...it is a pleasure to eat there!!
I particularly enjoy seafood, and the choice is very good...as is the choice of accompaniments.

• Visited June 2014
Brooklyn, NY
“Great location, good yet overpriced food, poor service.”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My husband and I recently had lunch at Catch 31. We asked for a table outside and were told it would be a couple of minutes, as a party was just finishing up. After almost ten minutes of waiting, we said forget it, and that we would just eat inside. We had just spent nine hours in a car, and were in desperate need of a drink and some food. We were finally seated and given menus, but no drink/wine list. It was a bummer, as the outside patio looked really lovely. The inside decor is nice and very mod, but it was super loud.

When our waiter arrived, I asked about wine by the glass. He was dumbfounded by my question, and he started rattling off some whites they had. I know he did not give me all of the options. He didn't know any prices. If a restaurant offers alcohol, they should absolutely have a drink menu. People like to see all of their options in print, along with prices. I went with a Sauvignon Blanc from Virginia. We waited another ten minutes for the drinks to arrive. The wine was watery and flavorless (I should've known better than to order a wine made in Virginia).

We asked about the oyster selection, indicating that we didn't want huge ones. He recommended their house oysters, so we went with them to start. They were good and fresh, but definitely on the larger end of oysters. We also shared the pretzel bread, which was mediocre at best. No salt on it, just underdone hunks of bread.

My husband had the crab cake sandwich. He said it was overwhelmed by the flavor of Old Bay seasoning. The french fries were good. I had a lovely salad with grilled shrimp. It was exactly what I wanted, but it was $30. I know you pay a premium for oceanfront dining, but a salad with four shrimp should not cost this much.

Once our food arrived, we could not find our waiter. I wanted another glass of wine, but he was nowhere to be found. I gave up on finding him. Once we finished eating, we started looking again for him, and he had literally disappeared. We wanted the check, so we could get to our hotel to check in. A good 15 minutes after we were done eating, we finally flagged down a different waiter and asked for the check. This other guy brought us our check. We didn't see our waiter again.

Overall, the menu is nice. They have a wide array of fresh seafood, but they are way overpriced. Our server was nowhere to be found for the second half of our lunch. The service sucked. I'm not sure I would ever return.

• Visited July 2014
Clayton, North Carolina
“Over priced, under serviced”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Cramped tables, long waits for service and just average food. For a place that advertises its seafood it was hard to find anything that wasn't fried and the waitress acted like I was crazy when I asked if they had broiled shrimp. Don't waste your time or money.

Flowery Branch, Georgia
“Nice atmosphere, Too pricey”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The atmosphere was great and very trendy. The food was very pricey and not very tasteful. Small portions and not seasoned. The food was very bland and for the price we were very disappointed.