“Affordable but don't recommend.”

Travelodge Virginia Beach
Ranked #98 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My boyfriend and I took his son and his son's friend to Virginia Beach for a small vacation. None of us had been to the beach in a very long time, so we were super excited. Most of the hotels we called were either booked or out of our price range. There was a Travelodge ON the beach, but when I called to ask questions, the front desk person wasn't very friendly, so I called the second Travelodge on Atlantic Avenue. The man at the front desk sounded very nice, and the price was fairly reasonable, so we decided to stay there for 4 nights. Basically we had a roof over our heads and had fun at the beach, but I would never stay there again, nor would I recommend it. Our room was pretty bad... the curtain had a huge hole in it, our bedspread had a cigarette burn, the cabinet that held the fridge was damaged and the fridge rocked where it sat, the mini blind in the bathroom was missing slats and when we pulled the cord to look out the window at the lovely view of the alley, the blind fell to the floor and broke. Also, the room safe didn't work and something was wrong with the ceiling above the tub... it was squishy and pushed up when you touched it. I read another review where someone mentioned folks hanging around outside. This was true as well. Two men were sitting on the outside steps one evening, blocking my way. I had to excuse myself and walk between them and felt very uncomfortable, especially since they made comments after I walked past them. I'm not even sure they were staying there. Because of this and some other factors, I did not feel safe at night. The pool was in the middle of the parking lot and the ice machine was in an area where I went one night and was somewhat afraid being down there alone. When things were mentioned to the man at the front desk about the broken blind, etc, there were no apologies, just things like "I will tell the maintenance person." I would strongly advise staying elsewhere. Thanks for reading!

4  Thank Elizabeth S
TravelodgeGM28, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2011

Dear,

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at ----------.

Normally a guest is charged for the damage in the room, but for the convenience of the guest experience it was on the house.

J Patel
AGM

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Take your own pots and pans and whatever you need to wash your dishes with if you are staying in a room with the kitchenette. GREAT location to the beach and within walking distance of alot of things you would need to get to if only on foot! EXCELLENT value for the price...VERY clean and got what we requested quickly (extra pillows). Will Definetly go back again. Those that have left negative feedback for this hotel need to stay at the oceanfront luxury hotels where they can expect to pay the price for all of the luxuries they are hoping to find in an affordable hotel! There were also NO BEDBUGS!!

2  Thank firemanswoman75
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Dear,

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at -----.

D. Patel.
Travelodge

Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was stationed in that area when i was in the Navy and had the chance to stay in many hotels there.For the price you payed and the location it was from the beach you would be crazy not to stay,my wife,son and i stayed there for four days and had the best time,Im not going to pick it apart like some of the other reviews ive read.The beds were the most comfortable beds i have ever slept in and very very clean. i checked real good for bed bugs and roaches and it was very clean.the bed mattresses were incased in a zipped up liners and the bedding changed each new stay.The staff was very polite and helpful. ive stayed at the sharaton about five years ago had a great ocean view but the frigerator didnt work.i would much rather stay at the travelodge than the sheraton which i paid close to three hundred dollars a day and felt liked ive got ripped off when i left.our room at the travelodge was room-255 I had to play with the key card a couple of times to get into the room but it wasnt too much of a big deal.the pool looked clean though i didnt swim in it,Take my advice and stay there because the money that you will save can be used to take your family out on the town. i will stay there every time i go to virginia. i paid more at the sheraton in one day than i paid at the travelode in four, dont worry about the hotel its great for the price! just have a good time with your family,when you walk out your room it takes LITERALLY takes a thirty second walk to the beach and boardwalk. have fun! STEVE, Barberton,Ohio.

Dear,

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7574283434.

D. Patel,
Travelodge.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed at this Travelodge for 3 nights. After the 2nd night we noticed signs of bed bugs on the sheets, blood stains. None of us had been bitten, so that was a plus. My husband checked the beds and indeed saw live bugs under the mattress cover and on the bottom of the mattress. We informed the front desk. The desk clerk's wife came up to see for herself. We were then given another room which we took because we had one night left and was enjoying the area. The 2nd room was fine. We received a $140 credit. Not good enough, we should have been refunded the entire amount. Double check under the mattress covers before you unpack.

2  Thank DLM4
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7574283434.

We did changed the room because to make your stay pleasant and afterwards the whole room was been stripped down and was been checked upon by the PEST CONTROL people. But after the efforts of 4 hours none so ever kind of infestation was been found. But the reply such as yours does helps us to be on our toes and ahead of the game. And make sure that we thrive to make your stay as pleasable as any one of us wants it the way it should be.

Thanking You,

Darshak Patel
Manager, Travelodge

Reviewed August 6, 2011

There were two good things about this place. Its location (1 block from the beach) and its price. After that, its downhill all the way. The room had a very musty odor to it. The
bedspreads were old and somewhat tattered. The furniture was worn and in need of a replacement. Funny thing. The bathroom and the alcove next to it were nice and looked like they had just been redone. But it looks like they stopped right there. The rest of the room
was in need of a facelift. The safe did not work. I called the office to have someone look at, but no one showed. I was traveling solo and only spending two nights, so I stuck it out.
My advice, avoid this hole. If I had been traveling with my wife, she probably would have insisted that we check out right away and find another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask in advance if you can change rooms if you don't like the one you are initially given.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank earl50
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

D Patel,
Travelodge

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I went on a weekend trip with family at the end of July. It was our first time staying at the hotel. The value of the room and location is definitely worth it. The continential breakfast was nothing to brag about but its free anyways, so no reason to complain. We stayed on the 1st level, didn't like the fact of no balcony or railing to hang the towels/bathing suits, so next trip I'll be requesting 2nd or 3rd level. The room was very clean, even though housekeeping didn't come to our room untill 3pm in the afternoon to see if we needed additional towels and such. I overall enjoyed my experience and its location. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cmmoore88
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Dear

D Patel

Reviewed August 2, 2011

The hotel is not oceanfront but it is on the opposite side of Atlantic Ave so it is a short walk to the beach. It is also a short walk to Neptune Park where we could see and listen to live music nightly. The room was clean and beds comfortable but don't expect anything great. Our room felt a little roomier not only because we had a kitchenette but I think it was a little wider than what rooms tend to be nowdays. The room had a stove, fridge, and microwave and a table with 2 chairs but plan on bringing your own pans and tableware if you plan on cooking. The continental breakfast was very minimal, coffee, juice, fruit, a couple of cereals and pastries. The pool was small but clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy43533
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

D Patel