“AWFUL!!!!”

Ranked #96 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Suitland, Maryland
“AWFUL!!!!”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

There were two good things about this place. Its location (1 block from the beach) and its price. After that, its downhill all the way. The room had a very musty odor to it. The
bedspreads were old and somewhat tattered. The furniture was worn and in need of a replacement. Funny thing. The bathroom and the alcove next to it were nice and looked like they had just been redone. But it looks like they stopped right there. The rest of the room
was in need of a facelift. The safe did not work. I called the office to have someone look at, but no one showed. I was traveling solo and only spending two nights, so I stuck it out.
My advice, avoid this hole. If I had been traveling with my wife, she probably would have insisted that we check out right away and find another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask in advance if you can change rooms if you don't like the one you are initially given.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank earl50
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Dear,

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7574283434.

D Patel,
Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I went on a weekend trip with family at the end of July. It was our first time staying at the hotel. The value of the room and location is definitely worth it. The continential breakfast was nothing to brag about but its free anyways, so no reason to complain. We stayed on the 1st level, didn't like the fact of no balcony or railing to hang the towels/bathing suits, so next trip I'll be requesting 2nd or 3rd level. The room was very clean, even though housekeeping didn't come to our room untill 3pm in the afternoon to see if we needed additional towels and such. I overall enjoyed my experience and its location. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank cmmoore88
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7574283434.

Lyons, Ohio
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The hotel is not oceanfront but it is on the opposite side of Atlantic Ave so it is a short walk to the beach. It is also a short walk to Neptune Park where we could see and listen to live music nightly. The room was clean and beds comfortable but don't expect anything great. Our room felt a little roomier not only because we had a kitchenette but I think it was a little wider than what rooms tend to be nowdays. The room had a stove, fridge, and microwave and a table with 2 chairs but plan on bringing your own pans and tableware if you plan on cooking. The continental breakfast was very minimal, coffee, juice, fruit, a couple of cereals and pastries. The pool was small but clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy43533
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear,

Richmond
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I just got back from this hotel and could not be happier! Ignore the negative reviews because my experience was great! We arrived around 1 when check in was at 4 yet withing a few minutes we had a room ready. We were on the top floor all the way at the end of the hall. The room looked great and was clean. Yes it did smell a bit smokey but it was a SMOKING room which a lot of these other reviews do not seem to understand! The towels and linens did not smell like smoke though. The room was basic but well kept. Fridge was clean beds were nice and made paint seemed fresh and the carpet looked new! My only complaint was the bathtub dripped which did become a little annoying at night but simply closing the bathroom door solved it. The air conditioner was also a bit noisy but the little guy cooled the room off very fast! The hotel is across the street from the beach and near a lot of shops and restaurants so location is great! Pool was cleaned daily which was also a nice touch. Continental breakfast was very small only consisting of some danishes and muffins ,cereal, oatmeal coffee and some juices but it was also free and think about it, do you really want to eat a huge buffet then spend the day out in the heat on the beach? Overall I was very happy during my stay and did not experience any roaches or a "urine smell" as other reviews claimed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jakeman2164
TravelodgeGM28, Manager at Travelodge Virginia Beach, responded to this review, July 20, 2011

Reviewed June 7, 2011

After a sudden change in plans I was forced to find some last minute accommodations in Virginia Beach. There are plenty of options for travelers willing to spend $120+/per night, but very few options near the beach for a budget conscious traveller.

The Travelodge is an older, exterior hallway-style motel. The rooms have a mini kitchenette in them consisting of a half-sized oven, small microwave, and a mini fridge. Each room has a safe, an old CRT-style TV, and a bathroom with tub/shower combination. There are no closets. Instead, one corner of the room has the safe bolted to the floor with a small hanging rack and hangers above it.

The rooms are older, but well maintained. Recent paint and updated "headboards" bolted to the walls make the best of the space. The bed linens were of reasonable quality and the duvets appeared clean and in good condition. The mattresses were a little unsupportive for my taste, but were good enough considering the room here was less than half the cost of the hotels around it.

The pool, although small and shallow (3.5 feet deep), was clean and open. Plenty of lounge chairs and even a few tables and chairs are available. And the beach is probably 100 yards away across the street.

This isn't a luxury hotel, but they seem to be aware of this fact and are trying to make the most of what they have. It has a great location relative to the beach, bars and restaurants on the boardwalk. If you're looking for a good value for a place to lay your head and get cleaned up between forays to the beach and time on the town, the Travelodge at 28th is a good bet.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Seat6A

D Patel,
Newport, NC
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Room was good sized w/kitchette. Older motel but room was clean & smelled ok and price was good. Orginal room had a leak during the night and the front desk was very helpful & speedy in having another room for us to go to. The only negative thing I could say is that they should replace the bedspreads, they have some stains that washing does not get out.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CJB629

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 11, 2011

rooms quite spacious, clean, good comfortable beds. excellent location directly across from beach entrance. excellent value for a cheap beach getaway. check in was a breeze., staff very friendly and obliging.

not sure if i would stay here in high season, there were a couple of partying guests and i imagine it would be quite noisy in summer months as the office closes at midnight so therefore nobody to complain to about the partying but all in all a very pleasant stay

Room Tip: fridge and microwave very convenient
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple