“Rude, dusty & broken pieces” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Marjac Suites
Ranked #98 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Rude, dusty & broken pieces”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Overall, the room itself had to be cleaned throughly before we could unpack. The doorknob was busted and you had to place a chair under it to keep the door from flying open. Housekeeping never came, even though there was no sign saying not to on the door, they just did not. Each night, I had to go to the front desk with a pile of wet, stinky towels and wait while the nightshift worker located a key to retrieve towels. One night, he evidently gave me used towels that had been washed yet. The worst was the guy day manager. On our last day there at 11:02 am he called the room and demanded I come right to the front desk and pay or bring the key, and than threatened to call the police department if I did not come down there. I felt that was EXTREMLY over dramatic of him & plain rude. Most front desks are busy enough that they don't notice if you're there right at check out! I could see if it was 30 minutes or something, but not right at 11:02- that was ridiculous(considering we stayed an entire week & gave him business). The housekeepers came in as I was trying to get all of the luggage out of the room. They mopped the floor in the middle of me pushing the luggage cart. And they either didn't speak English or just ignored me. I couldn't believe they hadn't shown up all week and on the day I'm trying to leave they wanted to be in the way! Although I enjoyed the oceanfront room & set up, the customer service at this place was enough to make me want all of my money back!

Room Tip: FYI: No restaurant, fitness center or continental breakfest here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 287karen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
NYNY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Marjac Suites in Virginia Beach does not dazzle with its elegance. What it gives you is a relatively large one bedroom suite with balcony, 2 flat screen tv sets, 2 very comfortable double beds, and a perfectly adequate kitchen/living room combination and a small but adequate bathroom right on the Atlantic Avenue boardwalk, with a breathtaking ocean view. It has no dining room but there's no lack of restaurants in this vicinity. It is the price that has made this hotel a regular on the road trips that include hotel stays in the Delmarva region of the Eastern Seaboard. On my most recent trip, in February '13, the suite described above coast $60 -- a rare bargain for an East Coast hotel right on the beach. Ask for a room on one of the lower floors for excellent broadband and to compensate somewhat for a slow elevator. You need to be pretty snooty to not appreciate what your buck buys you at this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JamBaytraveler
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in 2 suites at the Marjac with 7 children and 3 adults. The rooms were fantastic! We had a great view of the beach and the fireworks. The suites are fully equipped. The only thing I felt would have made the room more comfortable was having a 2nd bathroom. (But that's my only gripe! lol). It is in a great location. The service was wonderful. We reported that the lock on our door was broken and maintenance was there within 15 minutes to repair it. The rooms were clean and comfortable. They have a pool at the front of the property which is small, but who needs a pool when you can go to the beach?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SimplyJ0Y
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

stayed here 2nd week in September 2012. I knew which room I wanted and had requested it by phone a couple of weeks previously All the staff are wonderful - nothing is too much bother and you are always greeted with a *good morning* and a chat.

Some work appears to have been done since my last visit: flat screen tv in the living room and marble counters in the kitchen area. the lock on my door had been busted but was repaired within 10 minutes of my mentioning it to maintenance.

There are some noise issues from a bar across the street but according to the hotel manager
this has been brought to the attention of City officials and to date nothing has been done about it. This is no reflection on the Marjac - neither are they responsible for the noise of the jets from nearby Oceana !

All in all another great stay but do understand that it would not be to everyone's taste. But with such a reasonable rate, it's hard to find a better bargain on the Oceanfront.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My sister and I booked this room 2 weeks before the Neptune Festival. We checked in early and had no problems whatsoever. We arrived on Thursday and left on Sunday morning. The first nights rate was very reasonable; however, Friday and Saturday nights were a little on the high side. BUT, if you are going to VA Beach for an event that is on the boardwalk, this place is centrally located. You drive right in from 22nd Street and the Hotel is to your left at the light. ALL Oceanfront rooms/suites! When reading the reviews there we helpful hints like asking for extra towels and this isn’t the Hilton! If you want the Hilton then book the Hilton. The staff was very helpful, down home, people. Upon arriving on Thursday we were able to check in before 4:00 p.m. This Hotel needs a lot of sprucing up. BUT, we did NOT find any bugs! Yes, it was nice having the suite; however, just like other reviews, the room where you sleep is VERY noisy until about 2:00 a.m., if you are there during prime time. I’m sure that the nightclubs are not booming during off season. So, EXPECT the noisy. If you are a light sleeper, then I might suggest finding somewhere else to stay. We stayed in room 406 and there was new carpet in the living room area. Also, the bathroom appeared to have fairly new wallpaper; however, the tub was a little gross. I always take a bottle of bleach with me just for this very reason. I bleach down the bathroom wherever I go, except for when staying at the Hilton! We had a flat panel in the living room area and a full size TV in the bedroom! Oh yes, OCEANFRONT! When booking a room here, if you choose to stay, make sure that you get a room AWAY from the noisy AC unit outback. We had a good stay here though! We were able to sit on the balcony and watch the vendors put their tents up and observe people as they were walking on the boardwalk. The OCEAN was wonderful on Thursday and Friday. Saturday it rained; however, we had plenty to do. We really did not spend much time in the room as we had a lot of events to attend. Also, we were able to watch the parade from the 4th floor street side of the Hotel. That was GREAT! Nearly everyone we spoke to staying here were very nice people. We did not use the kitchen area much other than the coffee pot as there were so many food vendors there on the boardwalk and we like supporting the vendors while at the Neptune Festival. Would we stay here again? Maybe! Like I said before, the beds were clean and NO BUGS.. Also keep in mind, this is NOT the Hilton. This was the last big weekend for VA Beach events until May. Oh yes, if you are planning on staying here for a couple of days, purchase the shuttle pass, which can be purchased at one of the Wave machines on Atlantic Ave. Don’t try going to Sensations, as most sites on the web suggest as you are only able to get a 1 day pass there. We parked our car on Friday morning and did not move it until Sunday morning. Overall, we had a good time staying here!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 406!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank VaSpeters56
Peterborough, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We arrived in Virginia Beach on Monday, September 24 and decided to stay there because we'd been there before and liked the two-room set-up, and the overall price and room. The woman at check-in quoted us $207 Plus/Minus for a 3 night stay. We had picked up a hotels brochure on the drive down and there was a coupon that said $49.95 and up per night so we asked about it after she quoted the price. She looked at it, said it wasn't valid until October, then rekeyed in the 3 night reservation information and asked us for $270. We left and went to Newcastle Hotel where we paid $207 for three nights. She was very rude and unfriendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ruckersville, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The mini fridge door wouldn't close, so the fridge ran all night long. Very noisey and wouldn't keep anything cold. The bedroom is on the street side, making for a noisey night. The living room has a great oceanfront view. Cheap, but I wouldn't stay there again!

Room Tip: Only one parking space per room! If you are traveling with more than one vehicle (like a family shar...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family