“Very nice lunch spot” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Raven Restaurant

Raven Restaurant
Ranked #87 of 1,405 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Very nice lunch spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We visited for lunch on a Thursday. We had been for lunch before but it was years ago but remembered is was good back then. As the tourist season is over the place is was not crowded and no waiting to be seated. We were greeted right aways and were able to pick our own seats in the non smoking section. Smoking is permited in the Bar section. Our waitress; Sally, did and excellent job our entire time there. We both started with the French Onion soup and enjoyed it very much. It could have been warmer but it had very good taste. One had the French Dip sandwich and said it was good. The dip is the onion soup without the cheese and bread. She noticed this due the amout of onion in the bottom of the cup and the taste. I had the Yellow Fin Tuna sandwich grilled. I enjoyed it very much, it was a nice peice of fish; moist and cooked perfect. We have never been for dinner or during the hight of the summer season but have enjoyed the lunches we have had so far. It's not a fancy place and has been around for a very long time. We would definitly visit again.

• Visited October 2012

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good Beach Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Atmosphere and good are good. Roast Beef and aritchokes were great. Don't go much anymore since it is at the beach and I just don't venture in that direction much anymore. Raven has a parking lot which is good.. because parking at the beach has become difficult.

Dublin, Ireland
“great food - ok service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

finally got the chance to go back for dinner. Ordered the blackened tuna sandwich with fries, no fries arrived but got onion rings instead. Had to ask for the fries,

Drinks orders were taken as soon as we sat down, 10 minutes later the drinks had not arrived - how hard is it to place a couple of bottles of beer on the table? Apparently the bartender had placed the beers on the bar and the waitress had forgotten to bring them to our table.

Service was quite slow - the outdoor patio area seemed to be getting a lot more waitress attention than indoors. When the food arrived 40 minutes later it was very good but not quite as ordered. It was a Saturday evening but by no means busy.

I don't think I would return for dinner but it's still an excellent place for lunch,

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank katy-lied
Smithfield, VA
“Mixed Review, Mostly Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

After not having dined at Raven for perhaps 10 years, my wife and I met friends from out of state there last Friday night. Raven seems pretty much as we left it years ago. And true to some previous reviews I'd read recently, there is the smell of cig smoke in the bar area. I did not notice it at first, but once my wife pointed it out to me, sure enough ... We actually dined in a room facing 12th street, I believe it was, and the HVAC system did not do a perfect job of keeping that area smoke free. But I was not all that put off by it.

The Raven menu looked pretty decent to me. And the prices seemed reasonable to me, perhaps because I've gotten used to prices at the Outer Banks of NC.

We started off with wine and shared a steamed artichoke with hollendaise sauce. Quite good, and it only cost about $7. I do not recall if we were served bread or not. No matter, I need to cut carbs.

I had the Seafood Corbeau, which is shrimp and scallops in an alfredo sauce (no pasta, thankfully). It was quite tasty and satisfying. I got broccoli as the side, and there was a lot of it, perfectly steamed, with a generous side of hollandaise sauce.

My wife had the crab cakes, and complained that they had too much filler. That would help account for the generous size of the two cakes. She likewise enjoyed the broccoli.

One of our friends had crab legs and seemed to relish them. He had a baked potato which must have been good as he ate the whole thing ... but only after finishing his crab legs

His bride had the 18 oz prime rib. It looked good to me. My wife was offered a sample of it and said it was good, but could have use more seasoning. I take that to mean that a bit of salt and pepper would have helped.

During the meal, we all 4 shared a plate of steamed clams. Pretty good.

After the meal, the 4 of us shared some sort of peanut butter pie. It was quite good (we finally found something that our waitress would have enjoyed.)

The service was respectable. Each of us nearly froze due to a direct hit from the AC, but at least it was working. That's sort of a plus. We took our time and did not feel at all rushed. At least when we got there 7:15, parking was ample. There is also a pay-to-park lot just up the street a few feet away.

Would I go back again? Yes. No question. Probably won't be again this year. But I did enjoy my meal.

Brazil, Indiana, United States
“Rantin' and ravin after visiting the Raven”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I went out to dinner the other night with a few of his co-workers. They had decided to go to the Raven, because they had gone once before a week earlier and had really enjoyed the food. When we went it was not busy. There was two other tables on the outside patio and a few people inside at the bar. There was 2 or 3 waitresses working as from what I could see, so there shouldn't had been a problem with constant service from our waitress. But we never got checked on by our waitress to see if we needed anything. We had to go inside to order drinks, and when the bartender made a comment to her after we said something she acted rude. It was an hour before some of the people we were with were getting parts of their food. At that time only the clam chowders soup had came out...my boyfriend's boss' soup was cold. He complained and she came back and rudely replied" hope this is warm enough for you." We paid for our drinks and left. The waitress never apologized and another waitress tried to take her side and say that other tables were talking her ear off. Im sorry I know what it takes to do waitress and it shouldnt have been that hard to give us good service and be friendly. Im sure the food is delicious, but the service was aweful. Although maybe later I would go back and try it, because I would not want to blame the restuarant on the aweful waitress' lack of responsiblities and personality.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Been to Raven Restaurant? Share your experiences!