“Interesting history”
Review of Francis Land House

Francis Land House
Ranked #55 of 122 things to do in Virginia Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: The historic Francis Land House was once surrounded by hundreds of acres of farmland. It served as the home of Francis Land VI, a wealthy plantation owner from a prominent family in Princess Anne County, Virginia. Tours of the Francis Land House consider plantation life; the roles of the household members, both free and enslaved; Federal style; and ways that the formation of the new nation affected private lives. Tour guides also discuss the colorful history of the house in the 20th century, when it functioned as the Rose Hall Dress Shop.
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Interesting history”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Good for a quick "something" to do. Tour guide was very knowledgeable about the house and the history of the area. The house's furnishings had all been sold, so the pieces are limited.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sharon M

Chesapeake, Virginia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“House from the past.”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My daughter and I enjoyed visiting the Francis Land House. I grew up in Va Beach and just made a visit yesterday. The guide was very informative and made the tour interesting. We are enjoying local History.

Visited October 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A jem in the middle of suburbia”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Most local people drive pass this historic place and think it is just a random brick building. Often we see buildings and they are made to look historic to blend in or to create a faux historical look. But this place could look so much better, unfortunately much of home's historic property happen to be strip malls, car dealership and such.

I remember visiting for elementary field trips and girl scouts. They had a fair or something and I tried honey on a honeycomb!

Sure they have the historic tour to tell you about the home, owners and the time period when it was at built. Sure they have they beautiful gardens. But the cool part about this place are the events. I don't know how they advertise but I they need to do a better job or maybe not because that would take the intimate nature of visiting.

January 6th, my friend, her daughter and I went to the 12th Night event and had so much fun. The group was maybe 16 large and we walked in to see my old high school teacher and a cute guy dressed in pantaloons, tights, jackets, talking about the recent storm. They talked to us like we were odd travelers and we got eavesdrop on their conversation. It was so nice to be a part of history and not just hear about it.
Then we went into a another room to see a group dance and they asked us to dance with them! I love line dances! And we had great musicians. The women were dressed in beautiful embroider dresses which looking back, I wonder if they were accurate. The dresses looked more mid 1700s than mid 1800s but hey, I'm not a historian, what do I know? If I had new about this earlier I would have gotten dressed for this event!
Then we went outside to drink hot cider and burn pine needles or something for good luck.
Then more snacks and and music in the basement. I LOVED IT. I musicians and singers were awesome, dressed more plainly and accurate, I thought.

I also wonder what did slaves or the common yeomen farmers were doing? Did they participate with the land owners? Did they have crazier parties? Did they just do work and curse the thought of doing so much work to keep rich people happy?

Visited January 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Lovely Historic Home and Gardens”
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We were looking for a rainy day alternative to the beach and stumbled across the Land House because there is an admission coupon in the Entertainment book. It is not far from the beach, but it is a step back in time. The house is lovely and the interpreters are very knowledgeable. If you have been to other historic houses of the period (19th century), you won't learn anything new, but the preservation history of the house is interesting and the gardens are very accurate to the period and include plants used for food, herbs, medicines, dyes, etc. It was great for our kids, ages 9 & 12. A quiet, educational stop during our beach vacation.

5 Thank wildonva