“Best Crab Cakes”

Surf Rider Restaurant
Ranked #379 of 1,431 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
“Best Crab Cakes”
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

A little out of the way but worth the drive. The Best crab cakes I've ever had. Big and nothing but crab meat. Great outdoor atmosphere too.

“A favorite fails me ...”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Summer for me begins with a crabcake at the Surf Rider Marina Shores...I can't tell you how disappointed I am, not anymore. After years of touting it as THE BEST crab cake around - they changed their recipe. It wasn't the same - filled with lump crab meat that made your mouth water thinking about it....now, it tasted like any other mediocre crab cake with lots of filler and minimum crab. WHY???
Thursday night it wasn't packed and still we sat at the outside table waiting for 20 minutes before I had to ask the barmaid to please get us a waitress. WHY??? I write this with the hope the owners read these and will readjust. If it's a new chef - fire him/her. If it's a new recipe...PLEASE reconsider.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank sstepans
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great local spot right at the marina”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The Surf Rider is open again after further renovations. This locals favorite has a great spot overlooking the marina with an open air atmosphere. Good consistent food. The fried flounder special is not on the menu but is a plate full of fish and broccoli, a regulars favorite so ask about it. They finally have French fries available....... Definitely seek out this spot but expect to have to wait for a table.

• Visited May 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
“Good seafood”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Delicious fried shrimp--they were huge! Meals came with tons of food. I had the clam strips and they were fried perfectly. Our son and his wife shared a seafood bowl containing crab legs, steamed clams, shrimp and sausage with steamed broccoli. They had enough broccoli to feed a whole family and plenty of seafood. Service was great and price was reasonable.

• Visited February 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Great Crab Cakes”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Crab Cakes at Surf Rider are Awesome. I use them as my baseline "best like" for any other Crab Cake that I order from any place else. I don't usually find any better. They have several locations and I have been to them all. The old location on Virginia Beach Blvd (17th St.) is where I took my girlfriend on our very first date. That was 21 years ago and I guess it made such a great impression on her that we have been happily married for over 20 years and always go to Surf Rider for "Our" crab cakes.

• Visited August 2013