“Much better than the previous reviews!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Cohoes, New York
“Much better than the previous reviews!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2005

I was very nervous about staying here after reading some of the recent reviews, but I have to say that I was very happy with this hotel. The staff was friendly. The pool area was very nice. The location was excellant. We had no problem with the elevators except using the room key in the elevator to access the pool level was a bit tricky. Don't let those other reviews scare you! I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank lhogan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our stay at the Hilton and it was not pleasant. We were told check in was at 3 o'clock at the time of making the reservations and when I called to confirm. We got there around 2:30 and was told check in was at 4 o'clock. I asked are they sure and they said yes 4 o'clock. Our room was not ready untill 4:30. We had a problem w/ our key. We rode the elevator for 5 minutes trying to get back to the main floor. Our room was nice. I loved the pillow top bed. The bathroom was nice until I took a shower. The shower would leak all over the floor every time you used it. The walls are thin. We heard our neighbors doing it. We ate at Catch31 once and found everything to very nice, the food was wonderful.The best thing that happened was we were robbed. Three hundred and twenty dollars was stolen from our locked safe ! If you stay remember your valuables. You'll notice on the safe where you place your fingers under to open it there is a place for the telephone line to plug into it this is the only way my husband and I can figure they got into it. It took more than one person. On the back of our door it states the hotel is not responsible for anything stolen from your room. I am very dissappointed and pissed that something like this happened. If you choose to stay and use your safe be aware of how much money you place in there. I had just counted it that morning before going to breakfast. The next time we return to Va. Beach we will not be staying at that hotel.

Stayed September 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2005

Well I believe the people who posted the negative reviews must be some picky people. I got in room massages, checked in at 11 am instead of 3pm and I was treated with some of the best customer service I have ever received. Roof top bar is amazing with the pools an indoor and outdoor which you can look into the ocean while swimming. Nice scene, friendly people all around. I had so much fun I think I will rent it again in another week or so. The only negative I can think of is that catch 31's food is not that great. If you want to some good seafood go out of the tourists section.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2005

Just returned from a three night stay at the Hilton. The room was very nice. The bedding and pillows were so comfortable, however I don't understand why a hotel that has a good size room can't put in queen beds instead of the so small doubles. The bathroom was also nice. The double shower head was great as was the curved shower curtain rod (gives you extra room) and the Crabtree and Eveylyn shampoo, bodywash, etc. The hotel is in a very nice location and the beach was beautiful.

As many others have noted, the elevator situation is not great. They take a long time and there are only three and it seems like one is always under repair. You have to be careful because the doors close quickly and are not very forgiving when you try to catch the door before it closes on your arm or leg.

Another problem seems to be the fire alarm system. At about 12:30 am our first night the fire alarm went off for several minutes and we all had to evacuate the building. We were on the 15th floor so we had to walk down all those stairs. There were fire trucks out front and fireman directing us out at the bottom. However, no one ever told the hotel guests what was going on. It took about 45 minutes before they gave us the all clear to go back in. I felt very bad for the families with babies and small children. Also, you can imagine the elevator situation when all the guests want to go back to their rooms at the same time. We were lucky since a hotel employee took us and several other guests up the service elevator. Hopefully they went back down and offered the same service to others. The next day some of the staff in the restaurant said that the fire alarm system has been a problem before but mostly it happens in the daytime.

Since this is the newest and one of the nicest hotel on the beach it seems they get some VIPs staying there. On our second day about six tour buses pulled up and the "G Unit" rap stars checked in. I was told they took up about 56 rooms in the hotel (mostly the top "elite" floors). I was a little concerned that this might be disruptive to other guests in the Hotel, but am happy to say that I hardly noticed their presence. No loud music or parties, only some additional security at the lobby elevators.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2005

We just came back from our stay at the Hilton, VA Beach. This hotel has some potential but alot needs to be worked out. First, upon arrival, one hears some sort of opera music -- which is not bad on first impression. However, during our four day stay there, we learned that the same song is played over and over and over and over again and nothing else is played in the lobby. We asked various staff about what they thought, and they indicated that it had been playing since the hotel opened -- non/stop. We went crazy listening to the tune and could well imagine what the staff felt.

Second, our room was regularly short-toweled and not cleaned up until very late in the afternoon. The hotel did not carry common supplies like shower caps.

Third, the restaurant food was not bad, but it often did not have what we orderd. Most bizarre, glasses were often dirty and linen also appeared soiled.

Finally, the elevators were terrible. Long waits and crowded conditions were the rule not the exception.

All in all, it appears that it could be a decent place, but it has a long way to go.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2005

Stayed at the Virginia Beach Hilton last week and encountered a few things that make us wonder if they worked out all the kinks before opening. This is a lovely facility to look at but if they dont start taking care of issues it will deteriorate fast. The restaurant hostesses always seemed confused and the breakfast buffet closes by 10 a.m. so you better get out of bed and move quick. The rooftop pool is lovely but we were alarmed to see algae scum surrounded the edge of this pool already. Also the edge of the pool which looks over the ocean had a sock and cups and straws floating in it for 3 days. NOW for the elevators PLEASE tell me who designed this hotel and put in 3 elevators only. They are slow and unreliable and by the last day of our trip only 1 was working, Guest services left a paper in our room telling us to use the stairs ( we were on 17th floor with kids TRY THAT !!) I also found it disturbing that housekeeping had to be called every day before they showed up and that was after a day of beach and pool, we would come back to find a dirty room and have to call down. The hotel is surely not being kept up cleaniness wise and if things dont improve this place will be a dump in a year. It's a nice idea to have a 4 star on the beach since so often in beach towns we have trouble finding nicer accomadations but if your service is 2 star than people will still stay away

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member