“If you enjoy good service, don't come here.”

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Booked 2 nights, July 5-7, as a romantic getaway using my Hilton Honors points. I requested a room with a fridge and a balcony. Didn't get the balcony and the fridge cost $10 a day. Oh and so does internet if you want access. It's even more expensive if you use the business center since they charge for that too. Rooms were okay, nothing great. You have the option to self park your car -- that is if the lot's not full since that lot is shared with public parking, hotel guests are not guaranteed a space. Valet was rude and they wouldn't let us use the hotel cart without a bellman accompanying us. So we made sure not to use their valet services. Elevators are extremely slow.

Catch 31, one of their hotel restaurants, hostess staff was slow and unattentative. It took them 10 minutes to recognize that we were standing in front of them before acknowledging us. They quoted us an hour long wait but it only took 25 minutes. Rob, our server, was great and one of our better highlights of our stay. The food was good. We also had dinner at Salacia and the food was excellent, so was Patrick , our server.

As a Hilton Honors Silver member, I was not treated any differently than the guy next to me who isn't a member. Hilton normally allows later check-outs beyond an hour and the front desk got rude with me when I asked for 1.5 hour late checkout. He said he would charge me. Most of their staff is in dire need of taking Hospitality 101. Poor service comes from the top and obviously GoldKey management and reality doesn't invest in making sure their employess offer superior services. The lack of good, friendly and warm service doesn't match the nice look of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank busitraveler2
Write a ReviewReviews (2,042)

Reviewed June 9, 2008

One of the better hotels on the beach - has a Hilton quality but does not go the extra mile to exceed it. I would definitely stay here again and again though! This is a great hotel overall.

Good stuff - clean rooms, comfy, excellent location, great rooftop bar, nice rooftop pool (although slightly small in relative terms), awesome lobby (especially at night), Catch 31 the seafood restaurant is excellent but definitely pricey (the bar is very hip and also the #1 place to be at night), parking is good to have right across the street, friendly maid staff

Other things to consider - got here on a "sand soccer weekend" and the place was swamped with kids (including the rooftop pool), they need more elevators - the ones they have are quick but they are not enough to accommodate large crowds, kind of weird walking through the lobby in my bathing suit past folks in suits for a wedding reception

I would recommend this hotel for almost the whole spectrum of potential visitors. It also would be an excellent place to host a team meeting or conference. This will be a hotel to return to at least once a year.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2008

I stayed here in May 2008. Overall I thought the hotel was fairly good, except there were some inconveniences that made me not give it 4 stars. This included the fact that the room I was given even though it was a corner ocean view room I was not impressed. One of the walls needed a paint job. The room seemed fairly small from what I am used of.

I was surprised that at a beach location their was no safe deposit box, refrigerator, or microwave in the hotel room. I requested the refrigerator, got one for a fee. Did not like the fact that to use the business center computers was a fee. If I had know, I would have bought my laptop with me because they charge by the minute very expensive. As a Diamond member I was expecting better, and a good upgraded room. What's the use of a membership, if you don't see the differentiating benefits.

In addition, the complimentary guest services that's available in the hotel to help you plan and find activities to do, where using half the time to make a sells pitch for new time shares that really put me off.

The lobby, restaurants, and pool though I thought was overall good. In addition, to the easy access to the beach, also complimentary beach towels are available for hotel guest (towel a bit small though). If not for these elements they would have gotten a 1 or 2 stars from me. Cheers!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2008

I've had generally frustrating experiences with Hiltons.

We stayed at this hotel in June 2007 for a conference. I was a speaker at the conference and got a "conference rate" which was significantly cheaper than the weekend rate, which was in the $300+ range.

I was asked by the conference organizer if I could stay an additional night, as a member of Congress was coming whom they wanted me to meet.

Of course I'd stay. But the hotel...would they extend me the group rate that I got the first night?

No way. They had me in a corner, and rather than build a little brand loyalty with someone who spends probably a month a year in a hotel room, they extorted me for about $400. The first room they offered me (the less expensive one) stunk of smoke, even though it was a nonsmoking room. They moved me to another and ended up extorting me for about $200 more than I would have paid had I reserved the second night ahead of time.

That doesn't exactly leave you with a good feeling.

Now the hotel was not sold out -- that wasn't the issue. They could have built a little trust, but instead took me to the cleaners, and were rude about it.

So just know that this is the attitude of the management when you go there. They would nickle and dime you to death, literally, if they had the chance.

OK room. One stunk of smoke. Expensive, overrated restaurant. Horrible service. Two stars.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Booked a one night stay here since we were attending a cheerleading competition. The hotel was packed! Very hard to get an elevator. They were small and cramped. Got there a little late and just had enough time for our girls to go swimming for an hour before it closed. The pool area was very nice and on the top floor of the hotel. The room was clean. The beds were ok, not as comfortable as some I have stayed. Would have been nicer to have queen instead of double beds. Nice location right on the beach. We didn't get to really enjoy the hotel too much since we had to check out early the next morning for the competition. All in all, a good stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront is a "dump". The rooms are very tiny with no frills whatsoever.
Our closet door was hanging off of the track, the television was broken and would not work.....when the technician came to fix it and he asked my husband if he would assist him. My husband obliged:-) And did I mention that my husband also fixed the closet door?

I booked a romantic weekend for "two"....My reservation said "KING Bed A MUST"...the hotel put us in a room with DOUBLE BEDS...tell me WHY you would put a couple in a room with double beds for a romantic weekend booking??.....I was so disgusted that I left, however it cost me 60,000 of my Hilton Honors Points.......Ouch! The front Desk Manager promised me that he would give me back 30,000 of my points.......it has NOT happened.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Easszzy
Reviewed April 12, 2008

for 375.00 a night we got nothing extra. no breakfast no snacks . the bar and resturant are extremely hard to get a seat in and service is poor not to mention very very expensive. the rooms dont offer anything extravagant just a small bathroom , desk chair and bed. not even a microwave. the hotel looks very nice from the outside but nothing great inside the rooms except for the flat panel tv. the elevators are very slow and inadequate for a hotel this size the staff is very rude and unprofessional. and I know they at hilton post replys on this site to discredit posts like this its obvious. the food and music wasnt even good. I dont like to be negative but I cant understand the price and I have plenty of money myself.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple