“5 Star Hotel with 2 Star Service”

Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I don't think I've ever received such poor service at a Hilton Hotel. From the front desk staff to the restaurant to the valet to the Skybar, the staff has an attitude that they're just going through the bare minimum motions until their shift is over. After a day of travel and meetings, I left my phone at the front desk by mistake when I checked in. Did they think to call my room and let me know? Of course not, instead, I got to run around digging through my bags in my room freaking out about where I could have put my phone. When a small group of us wanted to sit outside and have a few drinks at night, the hostesses acted as if we were interrupting their conversation by showing up. After we were seated, after 10 minutes a waiter showed up and said he was done serving dinner so we couldn't get anything until the cocktail shift came on. We left and went elsewhere. Later, we went to the SkyBar. It's a cool atmosphere; however, once again, the service was deplorable. Apparently, there are waitresses, but all they did was wander around. It was almost comical. In order to get drinks, we had to walk to the bar and place our order. There were 5 of us and when I went to the bar to get a round, I asked if I could get a tray to carry the drinks back to our table. The bartender actually said, "Oh, you don't need a tray" and walked away. The sad thing is, it became a joke among our group on if the service could get any worse.

The hotel itself is nice. Modern, clean and all the typical Hilton bells and whistles. Just don't expect any sort of reasonable form of service...because it's just not going to happen.

Room Tip: Be careful of the less expensive murphy bed rooms. They're small and not a typical room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank tinainvirginia
LorraineHilton, Executive Administrator to the VP of Operations at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

Dear Tinainviginia:
Thank you for posting your review following you stay with us. I have to apologize that you received poor service, and will share your comments with both the Front Office Manager and the Restaurant Managers. Our primary goal is to deliver impeccable service, and it seems that we fell short on more than one occassion.
Despite the experience you had, we do hope that you will consider returning and allowing us the opportunity to welcome you warmly to our hotel.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

First trip to Virginia Beach, did our homework on selecting our hotel and it paid off. The Hilton, Oceanfront, has it all. High rise hotel in the middle of the ocean boardwalk, nice rooms, with balconies. We had a corner room, with two views, walk out balcony overlooking the ocean, and large windows facing the Boardwalk. Great location! On the 20th floor, there is an awesome negative edge pool looking to the ocean with a nice bar. Downstairs, the hotel has one of the busiest, hippest restaurants, Catch 31. Great restaurant and bar with outside fire pits to enjoy your drinks, appetizers or dinner.

Room Tip: You don't have to have an "oceanfront" room to have a great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert H

Dear GriswaldsinTennessee:
Thank you for posting your room tip at the end of your review! Our ocean view rooms, while not directly facing the beach, are equally enjoyable. The corner rooms are very special, as they do allow for two different views.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next vacation!

Reviewed November 3, 2011

Very comfortable hotel. Stayed here for a conference and was not only really happy with the price, but the rooms, ammenities and location were top knotch. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I didn't think Virginia Beach was a place I would consider as a summer vacation spot but this experience might change my mind. And walking on the Boardwalk.... It was so pleasantly surprising how friendly everyone we passed was. Lots of 'good mornings', etc.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I arrived in Virigina Beach without a hotel reservation and had to make some quick decisions. We drove up and down Atlantic Avenue and checked out reviews on Trip Advisor. We decided to stay at the Hilton Oceanfront and it was fantastic. The rooms are clean and spacious enough. The best part, though, is that our king bed faced the balcony door which we were able to slide open for fresh ocean air through the night. The view of the beach from the bed was gorgeous. The hotel also has great dining options. (We did not use a pool while we were there.)

We were only able to get the room for one night and had to move to the Ocean Beach Club, two blocks down, and it sucked in comparison.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for Oceanfront. (Ocean "view" rooms often face the side with just a bit of...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear JoannaGC:
It is very nice to see that you used Trip Advisor comments regarding our hotel to book your last minute visit. I apologize that you were not able to stay with us for your entire trip and that you found the other hotel not up to par.
When you return to Virginia Beach, we hope that you will be staying hereat the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront!

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Roof top pool and bar is great at night, we were there on Saturday and it was lively without being too loud - lots of great private places to sit out and the service was fantastic.

Room Tip: Watch out for the terminology - sunset rooms look over the city away from the ocean. Ocean view are...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Barbara C:
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time at our Sky Bar during your stay. Regarding the terminology of the rooms, all of the rooms facing the beach (East) are referred to as ocean front, and ocean view rooms are on the North and South side of the building, allowing a view of both the ocean and the city. All rooms that face West are considered city view rooms.
We certainly hope that we will be welcoming you back soon to enjoy our facilities!

Reviewed October 26, 2011

The room was nice. Wasn't the swankiest hotel room I've been in but it's definitely better than most. The location is great. Right in front of the beach, boardwalk, stage, and stores but because of this there are a lot of people who don't stay there that come there. I wanted to eat dinner there but the restaurant had a ridiculous wait. Skybar on the roof is GREAT. LOVED IT. Favorite part of my stay. It's a lounge at night on top of the roof by the pool. You get the city and beach view up there. The DJ was great. They have lounge chairs you can sit on. The elevators are annoying. You have to wait forever to get on it and pack a bunch of people on there. When I was checking out in the morning. I waited for an hour to get on the elevator. I got fed up so I had to ride the elevator all the way to the top to just get to the bottom. They have a parking garage that you have to pay for a one time fee ( I think) but it's connected to the hotel and it's convenient because you can come in and out whenever you want and have better parking than non-guest who park there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Pamela T:
Thank you for posting your review and letting us know that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are very conveniently located to so many great features here at the beach, the play structure in the sand is a popular destination for our family travelers. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by the elevators, sometimes at check out they do tend to become very busy!
We certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed October 7, 2011

I stay at this hotel each year when the Blue Angels are performing at Oceana Naval Air Station. We arrived at 3pm and were greeted warmly by the front desk. I requested an "03" room which she said she had available. An 03 room is one that is city view as well as ocean view so 603, 703, 803 all have view of the ocean but are still classed City view and therefore cheaper. One warning about 03 rooms there is no balcony and it overlooks a small park that usually has live music through 10 O'clock. We got room 603 - the room was clean and comfortable. Something new we learned at check in the once free parking is now $7.00 per night if you self park in the garage across the street. The garage tends to fill up on the weekends. The garage is well lit and well traveled and you can access the hotel via a sky walk. What I really like about this hotel is the people that work there. Lindsey in the hospitality suite and "Bones" the waitress in Catch 31 remember us from year to year and are always gracious in how they greet us. Two new people we met this year are Marvin the Empyrean Lounge and Michelle in Catch 31.

Only problem we had was on Saturday - no wash cloths, no coffee service, also before we left for the air show the toilet became clogged - it was still clogged when we got back which means it probably wasn't cleaned. Kudos to front desk and maintenance we called and they fixed the toilet and brought the towels with 30 minutes of the call

I would stay at this hotel again as I have done for the last few years.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in X-03 are classed city view but have a view of the ocean
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank a1scuba
LorraineHilton, Executive Administrator to the VP of Operations at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear a1scuba:
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and sharing your experience. Yes, self parking in the garage is $7 per day, this was recently implemented.
As to your housekeeping, your comments have been shared with our Director of Housekeeping. Thank you for mentioning the associates that made your stay memorable, it is always a pleasure to pass along the compliments.
We look forward to seeing you next year for the air show!