“Not Worth the $$$”

Ranked #12 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not Worth the $$$”
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I have stayed at many Hilton's and am in general a big fan of the hotel. The hotel itself was up to par, but had a few major downfalls for travelers with young children. First off, we were late arriving and checked in at about midnight after traveling for hours. We had no idea the lobby area had a nightclub inside, which had a live DJ and blaring music at this late hour...so much for getting my kids upstairs without waking up. Not to mention that with the nightclub presence, came many overserved, loud folks hanging out in the valet area waiting for cars or smoking...again not ideal for having kids with you, or just wanting to unwind in general. Then the parking garage across the street was nice, free parking for guests, even with a walkway across the busy road directly into the hotel, seemed perfect. Well the walkway brought you in, but you had to go back down to the nightclub lobby then over to the main elevators to access the rooms upstairs.

The hotel and room was nice, and we spent our afternoon at the pool on the roof, which was incredible. I cannot complain about the quality of the hotel itself, again its a Hilton. Location was great too.

I was in VA Beach last summer and stayed at the newly remodeled Comfort Inn & Suites, MUCH better stay. Rooms were very nice & clean, much cheaper, quiet, and the included breakfast was abundant. What can I say, I'll be back there next time I visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank HappyMommaPA
LorraineHilton, Executive Assitant to the VP of Operations at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear HappyMommaPA:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront. We have read your comments and sincerely apologize for the incidents that occured, especially the noise level late at night at our valet.
From the garage and sky walk, there is direct access on the second level to the guest rooms upstairs. It is located through the double doors and is an easier way to access your room without having to return down to the lobby. I do hope that this information will be helpful to you for future visits.
We thank you for choosing to stay with us and sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
lake George ny
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My family and I stayed at the hilton during easter break and it was by far the BEST hotel I have ever stayed at. The service was incredible! The front desk staff was efficient, friendly and went out of their way to help with questions. Every staff member greeted us with a happy "hello" whenever they would pass us in the hall.
We stayed in the club level and the club room was fabulous! There was a woman who worked in the VIP lounge who was just wonderful to my family (even my teenagers). She was an "older woman" (I hate using that term as I am also an"older woman"). She was an absolute joy to see each morning and went out of her way for everyone to help any way she could. She has a great sense of hunor and even had my grumpy teenage son laughing. Although the other staff were courteous and helpful she was definitely the most down to earth, and made us feel so relaxed and totally at home. Thank you Hilton for your wonderful pick of the perfect person to fill that role. Honestly she made my whole stay so enjoyable.
The hotel was clean and centrally located. We planned all our trips at the activities desk, and the food at the restaurant in the hotel was out of this world (especially the oyster stew). This was our first visit to virginia beach and we are already planning on a trip to the same hotel next year.

Room Tip: Worth it for upper floors and VIP lounge access...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Galen546:
We are so pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and thank you for praising our helpful staff. The "older woman" you refer to is none other than Gigi Atkins, our Hilton Journey Ambassador, and very well known amongst our guests!
Your evaluation of our various services and facilities is very much appreciated, since it is only through our guests, such as yourself, that we can make sure our standards correspond to our guests' needs.
We sincerely thank you for having chosen to stay with us on your first trip to Virginia Beach and do hope to welcome you back soon!
Reviewed May 25, 2011

4th stay & still experience rudeness upon check in @ front desk. Hillary continues to be rude when asking for waterview - not friendly & loudly repeats how full they are. Probably will not return due to this treatment that makes me feel bad each time i check in. Valet, bellmen, maids, repair people great. Bad experience this time @ restaurant - grouper recommended by waiter was terrible & he was unattentive & almost put out when i asked about desert (i did not order since he took so long to return)

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank kac442
Dear Kac442:
Thank you very much for your visit to our property and taking the time to post a review. Your feedback allows us to identify issues and areas where we can improve guests' experience. Your comments about the Guest Service Associate in relation to how you were treated upon check-in have been shared with the relevant manager for their attention.
We do hope that despite your experience, we have the opportunity of welcomingyou back to the hotel at some point in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We love this specific Hilton in Va. Beach! One of the reason we keep coming back to the beach is not only the hotel itself, but the CATCH 31 restaurant. However, i wish or im hoping through this comment they will hear my ONLY complaint. Very silly complaint, but very important to me and to other women. The restroom is VERY DARK! it's beautiful and elegant, but very disappointing when we cant clean our untidy face properly, or fix ourselves in general and when the times of emergency occur like I had this weekend, I was frustrated when I couldn't see and find things I needed in my purse, had to drop everything to the floor. I left frowning instead of smiling. Maybe extra lights will do? Please Hilton!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mnmega
Dear Mnmega:

Thank you very much for visiting our property and taking the time to post your review on this website. Your comments are much appreciated, especially in concern with the restrooms in Catch 31.
We do hope that in spite of the incoveniences your experienced, we wil have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I've stayed here several times: once for a conference and the other on usual business travel. Both times I've been happy with the room, food, and location. The room is nice with modern appointments, and for business travelers, it has enough plugs and outlets for charging laptops, IPads, phones, etc.. This is a good sign the hotel is designed for vacation and business travelers.

I did stay here with my family, two four year old daughters and my wife. There's a playground just in front of the hotel on the beach, so it has places to play and enjoy the beach.

I would stay here again, and I'll probably stay here for my future business and vacation trips.

Brian

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank brighall
LorraineHilton, Executive Assistant to the VP of Operations at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Sir:
We are pleased that you enjoyed our accomodations and thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are glad that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, from the beach front location to the rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront soon!
South Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This hotel is located right on Virginia Beach at 31st Street and offers free self parking. The location and rooms are excellent and there are several great dining options onsite. My only complaints are with respect to service. I ran into 2 issues:
*My room was not serviced until after 4PM by housekeeping
*Room service was advertised as being available until 1 or 2 AM; however, I could not get anyone to pick up the phone during repeated attempts to order at 11PM

Overall, the location is great and you can find a good price if you look far enough in advance. With better service, this would be a top of the line hotel.

Room Tip: All ocean view rooms have balconies!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank samranck
LorraineHilton, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Dear Traveler:
I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay, and at the same time thank you for the compliments. Regarding the housekeeping, we experienced an issue with our outside laundry, and it delayed our housekeeping crews. The issue has since been rectified, but it did impact our guests, and for that I apologize. Our room service is available until 2 a.m., so I am investigating why you had trouble getting through. I will pass this comment along not only to our PBX supervisor, but to the Room Service Supervisor as well.
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed May 2, 2011

When you book a room at the Hilton for $200 a night, you expect it to be a decent stay. Well we did not have a good experience. The beds are very small and very hard, some may like a hard bed, but, we do not. Housekeeping was mediocre, and I am being nice. Our toiletries were not exchanged, basically the ONLY think housekeeping did, was bring us new towels. The worst part, was when my husband left two pairs of brand new-never been worn shorts, and his swimming trunks in the room(dumb on his part I know) we called a day later and somehow the housekeeping staff DID NOT FIND THEM IN THE ROOM???? really!!??? I smell a thief or a liar.... just saying. Everyone was very nice, valet did a great job, the front desk was fast and efficient, very convenient location. The pools are very small, but the pool area is nice. I will never stay at this Hilton again, there are too many other very nice hotels at Virginia Beach to waste your money here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family