Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Clifton Park, New York
“Great hotel, but...”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We gave this hotel a five star review last year which would have happened again except that there was a homeless encampment on the two benches below our balcony day and night for our entire week's stay (9/8-14). This was not just a case of some people sitting there for a while. It consisted of four or five beach umbrellas up at all times, canvas chairs in addition to the benches--the regular residents often had visitors, overstuffed plastic bags, backpacks, a cooler, laundry hanging on the benches and boardwalk rails. One of their visitors asked my husband for his beach towel.

The hotel can't do anything about it, and the city and police apparently can't either. That's unfortunate because I imagine there are a number of other vacationers who, like us, will not be vacationing at Virginia Beach boardwalk again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara E
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Barbara E,

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself so much on your last visit that you returned to us this year. I want to apologize for the recent issues of the homeless which have affected the oceanfront boardwalk. This issue not only affects our property but also reflects poorly on the city of Virginia Beach. This specific group of homeless people you are referring to are not on our property and therefore we are unable to force them to leave. The city is aware of their presence and is working hard to reduce their impact on the tourist visiting the city. We hope that you understand we take all issues seriously and are trying our best make the area a better place for our guests. We will have this issue taken care of and we hope to have you return in the future with us. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My family is from the Hampton area but I wanted to stay closer to the beach. I haven't been to the area for years so I was super excited about this trip. Prior to my arrival, I had some changes that I needed to make to my reservations and there was a lot of back and fourth but I have to say that Meredith was extremely helpful and patient and I truly appreciate her assistance! When I did arrive, the young man at the front desk was very pleasant and the check-in process was expedient. The lobby was bright and inviting and the guest rooms clean and nicely decorated. I am always skeptical when staying at the beach because you often get the smell of mildewed carpets but not the case here!! The only thing that annoyed me was that there are no elevators in the parking garage so I had to lug all my junk down the stairs to the lobby entrance. This is more my fault than anything cause I didn't pay attention and should have unloaded at the front entrance before parking. Despite that, I had a great stay. The view of the beach is fantastic and I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Erika W,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us on Tripadvisor.com. I appreciate your comments and positive reviews on our service and staff. We are certainly glad you decided to stay with us and enjoy the Oceanfront during your trip to Virginia. We look forward to having you again next time you Visit Virginia.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I really enjoyed the 3 days I spent here. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful and the room was great! Every room is an oceanfront room, they provide a couple of chairs and a table/footstool and the location is prime--about midway of the boardwalk. Lots of great conveniences only 2-3 blocks away (restaurants and fast food, pier, drugstore). Also complimentary on-site parking (big plus on Atlantic Ave.) and breakfast. This is a great location anytime, but I love the beach this time of year best.

Looking forward to my next getaway!

Room Tip: Best ocean views are at the top, there are nine floors total (I was on the 8th).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ann_from_TX
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. I'm delighted to hear that your three days spent with us were pleasant. We hope you return to us next time you come to Virginia Beach.
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This Inn is located on Atlantic Ave, right on the beach. Our family had a room with a balcony and it was a superb weekend. This was due in large part to the service and attention given to us from the hotel staff. Whether it be Meredith at the front desk who attended to our many [ unfortunately] questions and needs, or the lady who within 1 minute had us additional wash clothes, or the maintenance man who at 10:30 on a Friday night was having to mop up a spill in the lobby and yet took time to speak in such a pleasant manner, was I impressed with this place. While the rooms may not be the newest on the block, the updated HD TV's and the original parking deck do help maintain convenience. We saw none of the encampment of individuals that were mentioned in previous reviews and also enjoyed the variety of food offered during breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Midlotrails
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity. In that regard, I personally appreciate hearing your comments about your stay. We are very proud of our staff and they will be happy to hear of your gratitude. We look forward to your return.
Selma, Alabama
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at this fine hotel property, rooms were very nice & clean, staff well trained and inviting. I enjoyed the pool and gym as well as the breakfast menu. The only drawback was after dark there was a homeless encampment set up right outside the building on the boardwalk. It makes the property as well as the city seem a little seedy. Overall I would suggest to anyone looking for a good value at an upscale hotel at the beach give this hotel a try.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Sherry,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and the staff! It was wonderful having you here with us for three days. I look forward to your next visit with us in the near future! Best regards,

Randy S.
New Jersey
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Fairfield Inn & Suites…. It was just okay. The location was perfect and hotel room was pretty average. The reason why I wouldn’t return to the hotel is because they don’t monitor homeless people that comes in and out of the hotel. There were two different times where my husband and I both spotted a “Homeless Person” walking through the hotel as well using their facilities. I even saw one making coffee. I mentioned it to the Front Desk and the responses were as if they were not surprised…. As if it happens all the time. Never again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments and observations. We are always seeking ways to provide excellent service to our guests by listening to feedback. We love that you took notice to our great central location here on the Oceanfront. I understand how seeing homeless people while on your vacation is undesirable. Unfortunately, there are homeless people in the city of Virginia Beach. We do our best to monitor the activity on our property and provide a safe and clean atmosphere. However, until we can be certain that a person on our property is not a guest we must treat them with the same kindness and respect as one. I'm sure you can understand that we take this specific issue seriously and are taking proper steps to eliminate this issue.
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our hotel,
Randy S.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Within walking distance of the start and finish line for the rock n roll half marathon in Va Beach as well as the associated American Music Festival. The complimentary breakfast was fine, served its purpose. Clean rooms and facilities. Wouldn't go there for the fitness room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy S, Front Desk Supervisor at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
D B,

Thank you for taking time to review our property. The Rock N' Roll Marathon along with Labor Day weekend was a very busy week for the Oceanfront. Thank you for giving our property high ratings in all of the categories. We try our best to give our guests great value and service guests and we are happy to hear we have achieved that with you. We hope to see you next year for the the Rock N' Roll Marathon in 2014.