“Definitely not Marriott standard”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I reserved 10 rooms at this property a little over a month before the travel date. On the date of check in, I called around 3:35p.m. to see if I could get a early check in and I was told unfortunately no but the hotel staff was willing to offer a place to store the luggage until we were able to check in at 4:00p.m. At 3:45p.m. we arrived in the lobby, and because it was so many of us they decided to check us into our rooms. Everyone was so excited to be at the beach, they dropped everything off in the rooms and ran to the beach. When we returned around 5pm room 409 discovered that the shower didn't work, so I went to the front desk and informed Nadia. Nadia wrote the work order down on a long list and could not give us a time that the shower would be fixed, nor could the guest switch to another room. Needless to say the guest had to shower in someone elses room. When I finally got to my room, I discovered that the bed skirts were too long so I would tuck it. When I went to tuck it I found potato chips under the bed skirt. Taking a second look I noticed that there were no blankets on the bed, there was a fitted sheet, a yellow top sheet, and white top sheet. I called customer care and reported this to Marriott, as I didn't want to deal with Nadia any longer. At 7pm the shower in 409 had not been fixed, nor had any blankets been brought to 610. I went to the front desk to see what time would these issues be resolved, and Nadia scolded me for calling customer care saying, "the property knows best, and customer care doesn't know the property." I didn't receive a blanket in room 610 until between the hours of 10 and 12, and the shower in room 409 was fixed about 9p.m. Not once did a manager address any issues I was having at this property, not to mention the sink stopped functioning the nest morning in 409. I guess if Nadia wasn't busy holding the houseman's attention by talking about Netflix, then he may have been able to get some work done.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Lashanda E
Jeff G, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us why our service failed to meet your expectations. We value your business and would like to address all of your concerns. The service requests that were mentioned to the front desk should have been taken care of in a timely fashion and the appropriate departments notified. I understand your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you. It is my goal to restore your confidence in our hotel by solving this problem and preventing it from happening again. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and hope you choose us the next time you visit Virginia Beach. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

The hotel is well situated for Virginia Beach. We went shortly after it was refurbished. Our room overlooked the boardwalk and the ocean and was clean and comfortable. The staff was courteous and helpful. The indoor pool was wonderful and actually made a nice break when the beach got a little too hot. I have to say that it was nicer than many of the Fairfield Inns I have stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Jeff G, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Here at the Fairfield Inn we like to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity that presents itself to us. In that regard, I personally appreciate hearing your comments about your stay. I am glad that you liked the renovations and the staff was courteous and helpful. It makes us happy to see that you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here and loved the boardwalk. We were a group of girls and loved the fun by the sun. Highly recommend it. Perfect 10/10 to the staff for their friendliness and making us feel like we were the only ones who checked in :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Fairfield Inn and so did the rest of the guests in your party. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home and assist you with anything that you made need. I will let the front desk know that how well they did and to keep the good work up. I appreciate your comments and we look forward to seeing you again sometime soon!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

This hotel smells like hot boiling water. If you pay your incidentals with cash it takes a minimum of 30 days to get it back. Nadia @ FD claims the money goes thru corporate and a check is mailed out 30 days later. Seems like they drawing interest off our money. This place is a [--]. Don't even think about smoking a good smoke after dinner on your balcany....250.00 room refresh fee...ummm how can you refresh a room from the balcany. I'm over it. Tired of looking at this nasty dirty ocean. Back to SOBE!

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you for your comments in which you informed us that our hotel did not meet your standards. We are sorry that you experienced this problem and we want you to know we are working to improve our standards so that you and our future guests are able to have a great experience while staying with us in the future. Here at the Fairfield Inn we take all guest concerns very seriously. While we make every attempt to ensure that our hotel meets every guests standards we apologize that this unfortunate incident was missed by our staff. We are very appreciative that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention and would like to thank you for staying with us here at the Fairfield Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Looked at a number of hotels for a short getaway and came back to this hotel for several reasons. Locality to everything and it's right on the beach is a plus for me. The free breakfast leaves something to be desired, but the overall stay was nice. Pool was clean and Nadia at the front was very pleasant and helpful with directions. Will definitely stay again!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Came for the boardwalk show and wanted to stay in a hotel where we could just walk out and be at the show. Every room has a balcony which we really liked. Breakfast was very good. The room was pretty good but for $200 a night i would have expected a little more upscale decor. But all things conisdered it was nice, right on the beach, great view.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Booked this hotel soley on Trip Advisor recommendations. We took our 2 teenager daughters to see the ocean for the first time. After a long 14 hour drive, we arrived late on a Sunday. I had booked a double queen room using my husbands govt ID discoun for $151/night which I thought was good for June.

Upon arrival, Randy (front desk dude) was friendly and welcoming. I asked for an upgrade and we ended up with a nice double/double suite which was perfect as there was a roll-away in there already. The view was amazing....right on the beach...

Breakfast each morning was basically the same, but adequate. Staff was always friendly when passing in the halls. It was cheaper to purchase chairs and am umbrella at Sunsations across the street instead of renting. I didn't think to bring towels...I know, we're at a beach for goodness sakes, but I thought the hotel would have them for us to taken down to the beach, but no.

Balcony in living room area was small, but adequate. There were 2 plastic chairs and a small table. We had a sliding door in our bedroom but not big enough to walk out. But it was nice to sleep with the door open. I had thought a ground floor room would be nice but really liked being up high so we could leave doors open at night, or even during the day.

We had clouds and rain our 2nd day. We had planned on leaving the 3rd day but we decided to stay one more day and were able to get the same room for the same rate.

I would stay there again. My only complaint would be there were only 2 trash cans in the entire room, both in the bathroom area. The bath had an area outside of the shower area with sink etc which was nice for all of us to get ready. We eventually found a trash can under the sink in the kitchenette.

Elevators were quick, staff nice. They had fresh baked cookies on the counter at the front desk one evening but wasnt consistently there. In and out parking garage was convenient although we walked to most things. Beds were comfy.

One thing to add about this area: lots of the same beach souvenir shops with the same merchandise but not priced equally. If yiu walk up north the shops are a bit more classy.

Good overall experience.