“Great Budget Hotel”

Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency
Ranked #51 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I found this hotel to be clean and well-kept. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, you should probably look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a great deal, this hotel is great! My family of four (with two teen-aged girls) had plenty of space in our room with two standard double beds. The staff was difficult to understand, but very polite and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sundial Inn Motel and Efficiency

Reviewed July 30, 2008

I booked this week long holiday to enjoy the 2nd week of the GM shut down. I called this place and spoke to OUSHA
( pronounced OOO-SHA ) and booked on July 3rd to arrive on July 5th for 1 week. All went well on the phone, BUT that's where it ended.
When I arrived with my wife & daughter, there was a BUM SLEEPING ON THE SIDEWALK in front of the place. NICE!!!!!!!!
I went into the office to let them know that we had arrived and that we wanted to see our room BEFORE we checked in. Idiot at the front desk told me I couldn't see the room until I paid and checked in.
That was my SECOND CLUE to find someplace else. First was the BUM SLEEPING.
While booking this [--] place, I was told that hey were only a HALF block from the ocean.
Took me 10 minutes to walk to the ocean.
Pool was dirty and full of sand and who knows what else.
Needless top say I wanted my deposit back on my credit card.
Again had to talk to OUSHA to get this done as the idiot at the front desk was to stupid to do this himself.
They tried to tell me that " If you want to CANCEL your reservation, you must do it 72 hours (3 days) before you arrived"
Well I made my reservations on July 3rd, that being only 48 hours before I was to arrive. So I was told that when I got there " Due to you not giving us 72 hours, you are NOT ENTITLED to a refund"
Have you ever tried to tell someone that your reservations were only made 2 days ago and that this should not apply to me.
Well don't try it here because they are to stupid to think of this and give you a refund you deserve.
I eventually got mine but had to threaten them with fraud and call the local sherriff and explain it to him.
That worked, I got my refund. I guess the Sherriff has been here before.

My advice on this place--------DO NOT STAY HERE PERIOD FOR ANY REASON.

FIND A HOTEL WITH A OCEAN VIEW.
I DID AND HAD A BETTER TIME THERE.
Got some excellent pictures form my 5th floor patio overlooking the ocean. Awesome view.

Thanks and good day. Enjoy the beach.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank 88dalejr88
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Warning to all people looking to travel to Virginia Beach. Do NOT stay at the Sundial. My friends and I decided to take a somewhat last minute trip to VA Beach for the long weekend over July 4th. When I say last minute, we waited until a few weeks before to book a hotel. Most of our options seemed to have no vacancies that close to the holiday weekend, obviously a popular travel time.

We came a cross a very reasonably priced place on the internet, having no prior knowledge of Virginia Beach. The Sundial's website looked nice enough, and it was extremely close to the beach and boardwalk. How could we go wrong? We knew it was cheap so probably not the nicest place around, but we had no idea how terrible our experience would be.

From the moment we called to book the room, the hotel staff was very unfriendly over the phone. But we let it slide. Once we got to the room, one couldn't help but noticed the stank odor which occupied our hotel room. Next was the bathroom, which did not have a working light. The other problem about the bathroom was that the shower curtain was hanging from the bolts in the wall (and eventually fell out of the wall, we called the front desk to inform them of this so they wouldn't charge us for it later). They did fix it in a timely manner, I'll give them that.

The room did not feel very sanitary, but that was another thing that I told myself I could deal with. The problems I specifically recall were, 1) as I was drying off after my shower in the dark with no curtain, I noticed a brown stain on my towel. 2) we found a bug on one of the pillows, and 3) after our first day at the beach, we must've gotten some sand on the bed, the next day the sand was still there - showing us they didn't bother changing our sheets. God only knows if they changed the sheets BEFORE we checked in. One can only hope.

All of that aside, I was able to deal. My biggest problem was, the last night we spent in the hotel, July 5th, my 2 friends and I were unable to sleep all night. The reason for this was that at around 12:30 am the people in the room next door turned their TV on blasting and we couldn't fall asleep at all. I called the front desk who said they'd take care of it. 30 minutes later, no change, I called again, they said they called the room and no one answered. (Obviously they probably couldn't hear the phone.) No change and about an hour or so later, in addition to the loud TV/Music coming from the room next door, there were now a group of loud people screaming and partying in the room and right in front of our room and our door.

I called the front desk again and they still said they would do something, but nothing happened for at least another hour. It was now about 4am, my friends and I had to get up at 8am to do the 9 hour drive back toNY. On pretty much no sleep.

I am normally not a complainer and I can put up with a lot. I honestly didn't mind the room and hotel that much until the last night, when the hotel management absolutely refused to do anythign about our discomfort and the fact that there were loud people blasting music and partying in the very early hours of the morning. At 8am before we drove off, I Went to the front office and asked to speak with the manager (who happened to be the same person answering the phones all night). Instead of apologizing, or being sympathetic, he chose to argue with me about it and tell me that they weren't answering their phone when he called to tell them to quiet down. Real nice to argue with the customer.

He offered me 10% off my next stay. I told him that I garauntee I would never ever stay at that place again. And I urge everyone who reads this review to not stay there either, Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra money and stay somewhere actually decent. This place was AWFUL.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mrjaman82
Reviewed July 9, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for a weekend getaway. The kitchen and bedroom area were spotless. Bathroom was small but clean. The hotel staff was helpful and friendly. Free coffee and juice in the mornings. I have no compliants at all except the bathroom sink did not have a stopper, but this was a very minor issue. Great deal for what we paid. This room must have been upgraded compared to some of the past rooms that were reviewed. Anyhow, I would be glad to return. We'll ask for the same room in the future.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I read the reviews on this site before booking and knew ahead of time that this place was not going to be 'all that' but for the low price - we took our chances. The room was clean for the most part. AC worked fine and the maid staff was pleasant.

However, the location of this place is BAD< BAD<BAD! I am not an old foegy but the noise from the McDonalds parking lot below was terrible. Many people just hanging out there at night - yelling up to the people on the balcony: making visitors feel uncomfortable - just to have something to do. This is not the motel's property and there is not much they can do about it.

The Motel Parking lot is awful. Almost impossible to park any vehicle without hitting a post or running off the high curb. Low clearance and very little room to manuever around other cars. Becareful! I read this in a review and we still managed to run into problems parking. Use parking off to Left side just to be safe!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2007

The hotel was alright for the price. The room has a funny smell, but I brought my own Glade Plug in so I took care of that myself.. It was a bit noisy cause I think people live there all the time, which kind of creeps me out. The first night I was there I bought internet service from the Atrium hotel, across the street cause thats the signal I was picking up......LOL I moved to the other side of the room and didn't have to pay for it cause my laptop picked up someones wireless...It was week but it was good enough. If I needed to stay there again I would...but next time I will spend the extra money and stay on the beach..in one of the nice hotels. I spent alot of time at the beach anyway.
bfetherman27@yahoo.com

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank bfetherman
Reviewed September 2, 2007

stay away. the person at the desk counted the number of people in my car as a drove in. I picked up my cousins from their home to help me with my bags. I was charged $10 just for them to come up the steps. I was told no more than 4 people to a room, but during my stay their were other families of five. I took my nieces back home because they couldn't stay with me and go to the beach.

The pool is not as big as it looks on the picture, my 10yr old son called it a big tub.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family