“Marina dining on the dock is great”

Dockside Seafood Market & Mrna
Ranked #44 of 1,465 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Been here many times, and always enjoy it for the good food and great view, and the fresh seafood you can buy in the store and take home to cook later. Photo shows the parking lot view over a steering wheel and doesn't do justice to the insides. The marina atmosphere is unique. You walk through a seafood market/convenience store to enter the restaurant - you know, there may be a side entrance on the dock without going through the store, and of course, if you're a boater, well, you tie up at the dock and come on in. Seafood is wonderfully prepared, prices match the expected amounts for a dockside restaurant. You can sit on the dock and soak up the sun at wood picnic tables or sit iin the air-conditioned patio-like room with a fan swirling above you, or in the main dining area beside the bar. All restaurants in Virginia Beach are smoke-free now, so no problem with smoke in that area. Some of the servers are pretty young, and you have to have a little more patience with them, but if you're there for the experience and the food and the view, and to enjoy time with family or friends, who cares how long you sit? I only go here when I have a couple of hours to loll around, have a glass of wine, appetizer, entree and desserts are good, too, but I never have room by then. If it's lunch, here's a little secret - you pass a nice Starbuck's with an outside deck on your way out, and the Chesapeake Bay beach is just across the street. Busy street, though, better to drive over there then to walk across.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I can't wait to get fresh seafood when I visit my family in Va. Beach. I had not been to this restaurant until this visit, and I was really surprised at how good it was. It is clearly a very popular local spot with a lot of no frills character. I enjoyed showing my five year old son the whole fish for sale in the market prior to taking our seats. And you can sit on the dock and have dinner while watching fishing boats heading in and out of Lynnhaven inlet if you'd like.

The fish, crabcake and scallops in my platter were fantastic. The crabcakes were the way I liked them - little to no fill and full of lump blue crab meat - not something I can readily find in Atlanta!
While it was not the cheapest seafood restaurant, it certainly was worth it for the freshness and taste. Service was adequate. The atmosphere is loud on busy nights such as this, but that is to be expected for this type of atmosphere.

I plan to return here on my next visit!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Another great "go to" restaurant for good food and great atmosphere. Enjoy dockside seating and watch the boats come and go on Lynnhaven Bay while you enjoy good food and beverages.

Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We had lunch here today and the service was great, the food was excellent, and the view was incredible! Definitely going to make this a go to place for lunch on Sunday!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

We have loved Dockside for many years, BUT our server ( Olivia ) with an Attitude and poor sense of timing things...made our dining experienced -- MIXED!

I think we will go again and ensure that we do not get her as our server...