“Always Perfection”
Review of Coastal Grill

Coastal Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Coastal Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 1,464 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mill Dam
Description: Classic, consistent, upscale cuisine is offered in a well-appointed, unpretentious setting in this top-notch nosherie. The mahogany bar invites easy conversation and casual dining. Located on the affluent Great Neck corridor in Virginia Beach, just three miles from the Oceanfront, Coastal Grill is as famous for what isn't on the menu as for what actually is. Executive Chef-Owner Jerry Bryan with Maureen Cucchiaro at the stove offer an extensive list of "blackboard specials," always with a nice assortment of freshly caught regional seafood. This locals favorite has received critical acclaim since its inception over 20 years ago, culminating in being voted the Number 1 Restaurant by Hampton Roads Magazine. With amazing food, exemplary service, Coastal Grill is a sure bet for business dinners, special occasions, or simply unwinding after a hard day. Come celebrate with us!
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Just had another wonderful dinner at the Coastal Grille. On the recommendation of a friend who used to live in Virginia Beach, I started coming to Coastal Grille 12-15 years ago. It has always been the one VA Beach restaurant I make a point of eating at when I visit from Richmond. The food is consistently deliciously prepared and presented, and their staff is friendly and efficient. The one dish that keeps me coming back year after year is their homemade mozzarella salad (Caprese). The cheese is the perfect flavor and texture. I feared being March in Virginia the tomatoes would be small and void of flavor, but I was proved wrong. I lingered over that appetizer/salad savoring every delectable bite; well worth the $12.95 price. Tonight I had one of Coastal Grille's many special entrees--salmon topped with crispy mushrooms, tomatoes, and thyme butter sauce. Fabulous! The fish was cooked exactly as I requested, and I'm still trying to figure out how they were able to prepare the mushrooms so they had the texture of crispy bacon. As always, the baked butternut squash with butter and brown sugar was divine. Coastal Grille is 10-12 minutes from the oceanfront and well worth the trip for adults looking for awesome food and a full bar in a relaxing atmosphere (even the music they play adds to the ambience). Make a reservation so you won't be disappointed.!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

In town for business. The menu offered several very nice seafood selections. I ordered 1/2 fried oysters 1/2 fried scallops dinner. Both were cooked perfectly. I would recommend for either a business dinner or a special night out. Also, I should have mentioned that the service was fantastic!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

You could have been in a coma for the last 20+ years and Coastal would seemed very familiar. I say this as a compliment. What Coastal Grill does, it does very well! They have kept a generation of eaters coming back. The service is friendly, informative, professional and welcoming of their regulars.

The soft shell crabs might be the BEST at the beach! They are large and you get two large crabs on your plate. The fish (tuna, rockfish, flounder, trout) are always perfectly cooked. They serve a generous amount of steamed mussles. No need to count them, they are more than enough, and a good value. Their home-made mozzarella is served year round, and one of my favorites. In the summer your side will be sweet corn, while acorn squash will be featured in the cooler months.

We have been eating there at least 18 years, and it's one of our go to places to eat at the beach. With almost a 25 year history, they are still hard to beat. I feel like Coastal Grill could be around for another 25 years, and the reviewer will again comment how Coastal Grill is well ....... timeless.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The food is so good, it is my favorate restuarant for the food. The service is good, the wine selection is also great.
if they have soft shell crabs you have to try them! Make sure you make reservations it is always packed.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited on a Tues. night. it was very cold but they had a nice crowd for an off night. We had a dozen raw oysters they were very good. The drinks were very good. We also had the mussels nice & fresh & nice bread to go with them. We also had the fried oysters they were cook very good next time I will ask for the cocktail & tartar sauce in containers. It was put on the plate & blended together. Had to take the squash home too full for desert. Service was great.
Will go back again when soft crabs are in. Outstanding soft crabs.