“Good Food but Loud”

Ranked #15 of 1,559 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tautog's Restaurant is a casual dining establishment featuring exceptional fish and seafood entree's soups, salads, sandwiches and desserts...Served by the friendliest people in town. Sunday - Wednesday we serve dinner from 5:00 p.m. until 10 p.m., then offer a late night menu until 11:00 p.m. Thursday - Saturday we serve dinner from 5:00 p.m. until 11 p.m., then offer a late night menu until 1:00 a.m.
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We walked to Tautogs for dinner on a Saturday night in July - 7:30 ish. We didn't have a reservation, but were seated (4 people) in about 20 minutes. I thought that was very reasonable based upon how busy it was.

Service was a little slow but not unbearably so based upon how busy the place was. Food was good. They have some more inventive dishes than many other places in the area. I had the special fish of the day. It was just OK in my opionion and I wished I had ordered something else. My husband had a steak, which was delicious. One of our friends also got the special fish liked it better than I did. The other got a shrimp pasta, which she liked.

It was very loud in the restaurant, which I don't mind as you didn't feel like anyone could hear your conversation.

Overall, it's definitely a little more expensive than other places, but I think the food warrants it. I would go back if I returned to the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,697)

Reviewed July 20, 2011

Good food, okay prices but the service was so horribly slow! Waited 30 for a table and waited longer than that for the check.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband & I celebrated our 10th anniversary by having dinner at Tautog's while on vacation at Virginia Beach. I had the Wesley's World Famous crab cakes with roasted potatoes and my husband had the steak au poivre with roasted potatoes. While the food was very good, it was a little pricey since the meals do not come with a salad or bread. Also, this was a Tuesday night and the place was packed! There was so many differenct conversations going on that I almost couldn't hear myself think and that was after a 30-45 minute wait. If you don't mind the wait, noise or the extra cost, the food was really good.

1  Thank ChadnTammi
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is the best place we visited on our trip to VA Beach and all of our dining was outstanding. The staff is relaxed and fun and the food is fantasic. I got the yellowfin special and the jalapeño sauce enhanced the flavor perfectly!

Reviewed July 14, 2011

After reading reviews arrived for dinner, stood in line as those in front were seated immediately- no others waiting, then approached the older of the 2 hostesses for table of 6. As she looked over my shoulder at our 4 children (ages 2- 10) were told that it would be over an hour(funny, no others were waiting) and told me to go to Abbey Lane as that "would be a better spot for your children". Wow, talk about being made to feel unwanted.

2  Thank Walter B