“Fair seafood but the view is great”

Waterman's Surfside Grille
Ranked #5 of 1,431 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Description: Waterman's Surfside Grille captures a slice of coastal living for the true flavor of Virginia Beach! Family owned and operated since 1981, Waterman's serves only the freshest seafood, steaks, and ribs. Serving lunch and dinner daily and brunch on Sundays, we offer indoor and outdoor dining overlooking the ocean, as well as a patio boardwalk bar. It's not a trip to Waterman's without a taste of our signature She Crab Soup and Original Orange Crush cocktail!
va
“Fair seafood but the view is great”
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Came across this resturant from VBISFUN.com and thought I'd give it a try. Having grown up in Baltimore and having lots of seafood have to say very disappointed in the food. The crabcakes were o.k, and could have been better seasoned. My husband got a dish that only had 3 shrimp and 3 scallops and said it would have been better had there been more food. Our service was fine, but the view is very nice. We were there on a night that there was live music and really enjoyed that the most. I would look into other seafood resturants before coming here. Don't waste your time or money, just hang out outside for the great music!

1 Thank bspenard

• Chinese (Traditional) first
virginia beach, va
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over Priced, Under Good”
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I was embarrassed by Waterman's.

We'd been once before, scouting it before company came this week. It wasn't bad then: great view of the ocean and boardwalk, okay service, a fair but limited menu. But we also went early.

However, last night after 6 pm they crammed 5 of us into a booth for 4 and then served on those huge plates, odd man sat out in the traffic lane and was bumped several times. We were so crowded that we had three spills (one, a beer in my lap) and spent dinner switching and shunting plates around the table and balancing the bread and empty plates on the ledge.

Food was only "warm" but we were afraid to send it back because it took so long to arrive.

My meal, one of the evening's "specials," was penne pasta and salmon in a tomato sauce. Nothing more than Chef Boyardee with rubbery sliced mushrooms from a can: thick and cloying with pieces of salmon far and few between the pasty pasta.

Management was apologetic, but that's all. He did offer to send me something in the mail as compensation to try the restaurant again. Not likely.

If you want great seafood, this really isn't the place. Since Watermans' is so inconsistent, I'm taking my guests back to Lynnhaven Fish House for better selection, better fish, and a great view of the Chesapeake Bay.

Waterman's: Just another Boardwalk Tourist Trap.

1 Thank rhkennerly
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The orange crush rocks! It's their signature drink.”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The orange crush rocks! It's their signature drink.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York
“Really enjoyed Waterman's!”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We actually went to Waterman's twice in one week, we liked it so much! Both times we had great meals, the service was great, and we especially loved the restaurant's beautiful views of the ocean. Waterman's is one of a few restaurants where you can actually dine right on the boardwalk both outside in a small patio area, or inside in their nice dining room. We opted for inside dining both times and recommend that (same great view but with A/C!). The dining room is set up in tiers so that most of the tables can still see out to the ocean, even if they aren't right next to the windows. Both times we dined here our meals were very good - the Crabcakes were delicious, the 5th Street Seafood Pasta and the Waterman's Original Pasta dishes were both flavorful and chock full of seafood, and my daughter LOVED the baby back ribs (and their signature drink, the Orange Crush was so good - made with fresh squeezed OJ & I think vodka- it went down so easy! Very refreshing!). We would definitely recommend Waterman's for a great meal, fun atmosphere, and friendly service.

1 Thank bbinngirl
STL
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 15, 2008

This is truely one of the best restauraunts I have ever been to. It has a gorgeous ocean view, nice atmosphere, and spectacular food. The crab cakes are the best I ever had.