“Unhappy Local”

Waterman's Surfside Grille
Ranked #5 of 1,435 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Description: Waterman's Surfside Grille captures a slice of coastal living for the true flavor of Virginia Beach! Family owned and operated since 1981, Waterman's serves only the freshest seafood, steaks, and ribs. Serving lunch and dinner daily and brunch on Sundays, we offer indoor and outdoor dining overlooking the ocean, as well as a patio boardwalk bar. It's not a trip to Waterman's without a taste of our signature She Crab Soup and Original Orange Crush cocktail!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Unhappy Local”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I am a local resident of VA beach and my family, friends and I go to Waterman's on a regular basis (usually once a month at least). The foods great and most of the servers are as well. But the management is another story. The old management was wonderful.. My husband and I raved about how they treated us as if we were family. But for whatever reason, all of the managers we loved are now gone and replaced. A manager (who I found out from a hostess that his name is Justin) was completely rude and inconsiderate to us. I asked to calmly speak to a manager when both our appetizers and entrees came out cold. He gave us an attitude and told us that Its a friday night and were busy, you can't expect every meal to be perfect. As if that wasn't bad enough, as the entire restaurant scrambled to do their job and attend to every customer, this manager sat around talking and laughing to another man I assumed to be another manager. I was appalled that a restaurant I had such high regards for would allow this kind of person to work there. It saddens me to say that I will not be visiting what used to be my favorite restaurant as long as I know he is working there. If any employees of Watermans happen to read this I urge you to fix this problem. My friends have had similar problems and we have had to start going to new restaurants because we are all fed up. Please help!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Rachel H
gearhacf, Manager at Waterman's Surfside Grille, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Good evening. I appreciate you taking the time to voice your feedback and I am sorry that you had this experience. I hope that you will give us another try since you have had great experiences in the past. We are a family owned restaurant and it is important to us as managers that the restaurant feels like your home. I would really like the opportunity to either talk or meet with you about your experience this night. I would really like to have some more details to deal with the situation correctly. The manager you speak of, Justin, has worked here for a couple years and this is very uncharacteristic of him or anyone on our management team. Please give me the opportunity to discuss this with you and I hope you will continue to be a loyal Waterman's customer. We value you very much!

Please email me so I can either give you my phone number to talk on the phone or setup a time to meet at the restaurant to discuss your experience. It is very important to me to make this right and I hope you will give me that chance.

Thank you!

Gabriel Cohen
Manager, Waterman's Surfside Grille
gc.watermans@gmail.com

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Dayton, Ohio
“good food, good local bar”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The food at waterman's is good, and so is the service. The bar is a great local va beach bar. Can be crowded at times. The upstairs bar is also good. One of my favorite bars in virginia beach.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank AndrewBVA
Fredericksburg, VA
“Love it!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

On our brief, three-day trip, we ate here twice it was so good! We stopped in the afternoon for a cocktail and a snack and went back that evening for dinner. There were a bunch of good choices on the menu in a variety of price ranges.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank yearbookgoddess
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Big Talk, Small walk......”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Unfortunately I ate a neighborhing place first, so my grounds for comparison is skewed.

I expected great fish, classic beach food, and the bar looked like a cool hang out. When I got there, their were 300 drunk santa clauses, floor was trashed, couldnt get a drink, and it was loud.

I decided to eat anyway, and ordered a platter, which turned out to be a small portion of heavily fried food, that was greasy instead of fresh, soggy instead of cripsy, and definately not as fresh tasting as you expect from a place literally on the waterfront.

I was hugely dissapointed and looked for someone to discount my meal. After asking for the manager 2 times, and waiting about 20 minutes with no one showing up, I left cash on the table and walked out. I felt a heavy stomach all the rest of the day.

If you like old, dark restaurants, with dated food and poor execution, this is the place for you. If your looking to get value from your dollar, stay away from here. Looks like a local bar hangout, not the restaurant they advertise themselves to be.

Visited December 2012
gearhacf, Manager at Waterman's Surfside Grille, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hi Tommy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Waterman's. We are so sorry to hear that you did not have the great experience that you should have had. Unfortunately, the Santa Bar Crawl was something that was planned by a group of locals, and only happened at Waterman's for a short time that one day (as they were moving North to different bars/restaurants). We wish that it wouldn't have overlapped with your visit - we apologize for the level of noise coming from that area and the fact that you weren't able to enjoy our great bar.

We also are hoping that you could a message and share some information with us about the name or description of your server. Our general manager was working that day, and was not made aware that you were disappointed with the meal, or he certainly would have done everything in his power to rectify it. Therefore, we would like to speak with the server to ensure that this situation doesn't ever occur again in the future.

We would like to invite you back into Waterman's to give us another try, and let us prove to you that our food, service and atmosphere are above the level you experience last weekend. Please feel free to email or call Eric Emerson, our General Manager, at ee.watermans@gmail.com, or 757.428.3644. He'd like to make a reservation for you and introduce himself in person.

Thanks again for your time, and we hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Take care,

Courtney Gearhart
Manager, Waterman's Surfside Grille
San Antonio, Texas
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family and I really enjoyed this restaurant. The service from our waitress was great! We all ordered different types of fish and every one of them was great! They had a great kids menu for my 4 year old. We had a great view of the ocean from our table. The prices weren't cheap but it wasn't over the top either.

If your looking to eat some good fish this is the place to go in VB!

• Visited November 2012