“But I really wanted a steak....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterman's Surfside Grille

Waterman's Surfside Grille
Ranked #5 of 1,405 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Description: Waterman's Surfside Grille captures a slice of coastal living for the true flavor of Virginia Beach! Family owned and operated since 1981, Waterman's serves only the freshest seafood, steaks, and ribs. Serving lunch and dinner daily and brunch on Sundays, we offer indoor and outdoor dining overlooking the ocean, as well as a patio boardwalk bar. It's not a trip to Waterman's without a taste of our signature She Crab Soup and Original Orange Crush cocktail!
leonisavaca
“But I really wanted a steak....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Waterman's Surfside Grille Steak, Ribs, Chicken. That's what their website says. Read the menu's. We visited in the afternoon therefore had to work with the lunch menu which is nice but limiting. I did try the She Crab Soup and I did have a Chesapeake Bay Lump Crab cake lunch as there were no hot beef or chicken meals to choose from (as the evening menu offers). The She Crab Soup was good - it actually had more meat in it than the She Crab Soup served at Rockafellers. It is spicier also. I would not say it was better than what Rockafellers serves despite the fact that it was meatier. The Crab cake lunch was good again more spices used than that of Rockafellers and given the choice of the two restaurants I would visit Rockafellers.

My son opted for the Chicken Ripper with Blackened Chicken (to hot/spicy for him to finish). He said it was good but "hot". I tasted it and it was.

I ordered a salad to take back to our room for my dinner. I chose the Southwest Salad but opted for grilled chicken rather than Blackened. For this "to go" order they wrapped the meat separately so you can heat it before eating if you choose. Dressing was in it's own small container and they were sure to include plastic ware and napkins in the bag.

I had cranberry juice and my son had lemonade. We both enjoyed the crushed ice in our glasses and noted that is a rare find in a restaurant these days.

Service was good. The interior was pretty. We were offered indoor or outdoor seating. I would have dinned outside but my son thought inside was good and as we were all but living outside last week I agreed. We were greeted by three women when we entered, an older lady who seemed to be a boss and was not exactly warm and friendly and two young ladies who were more friendly. I drove to the restaurant and we had valet parking which was kind of weird because they parked my van right in lot perhaps 30 feet from the door. Of course I had to tip the valet and it just seemed rather silly....

There is a small gift shop in the front of the building called The Beach Nut. It offers a variety of items and some jewelry that in my opinion is priced on the high side. I did buy a small gurgle fish pot to add to my curio cabinet at home.

Would I visit Watermans again? Honestly I am not sure. It was good but not great. The menu did not offer the variety of most places we visited on vacation (or those anywhere else seaside that I have been too). It was good ...but nothing to write home about.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Take out was great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

We ordered takeout, you know kids in restaurants... They gave us everything we needed... good food.

Visited August 2011
Grinnell, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful sunset on Virginia Beach, VA”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

We ate here during our vacation to the Virginia area during the first week of August 2011. We sat outside during our supper and were able to enjoy the sunset. The food was wonderful, I had the seafood platter and my friend had the seafood only platter both were excellent. We had the cheesecake for dessert and it said it was enough for two and they were not lying, it's really enough for three. No complaints, excellent server, excellent food, price seemed a bit high but for the area I'm sure it was probably within reason.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank traveling_gal0714
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great location, best service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Waterman's is a perfect combination of great food, excellent service, reasonable prices, and the best ocean view in VA. Beach. In particular, our waitress Krystal went above and beyond to give us the best service. Whenever you are in VA Beach you must brunch there on Sundays, available from 9-2.

1 Thank DaddyOrton
“It's a racist establishment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

They're known for orange crushes, but they're really good for: White Families with white children, Bar scene serving only white people, Large groups of white people, Local cuisine for white people who enjoy eating with white people, Outdoor seating among white people, Special occasions celebrating white people, Scenic view of white people. Did I mention they prefer white people?

8 Thank VBminority