“Great Dinner Start to Finish”
Review of Braise

Braise
Reserve with OpenTable
Braise is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #258 of 1,442 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: (757) 961-8131
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Met friends at Braise for dinner tonight. Had heard a lot about its opening and was looking forward to giving it a try. Centrally located in Va Beach so handy for all to try. Shortly after being seated a warm basket of rolls were brought to the table. We started with the crab cake appetizer and our friends tried the pork belly and asparagus soup. All were very good. The ladies went with the fish of the day (halibut) and both thought it was excellent. For the guys, one of us tried the bone in ribeye steak and I went with the etouffee. The steak was very large( 20 oz+) and served with a large dish of augraten potatoes. The etouffee was loaded with large shrimp, clams, crawfish, and rich spicy broth. We splurged and tried desserts - crème brulee', neapolitan sorbet and the special tapioca with orange sorbet. All were very good. Our waitress was very attentive and did a great job providing recommendations. A bit pricey - over $120 for the two of us, but very good and would definitely recommend.

There are newer reviews for Braise

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

mobile review
I was a frequent customer of BobbyWoods years ago and upon hearing Chef Huber was back in his own kitchen I just had to go. And I was not disappointed, the fishes I ordered surpassed my expectations. I tried a crab cake appetizer that was superb and unique, if I was to describe it; loaded with crab and flavors popping out from all directions. The Lobster Bisque was delicious, complete with the requisite claw meat. The Salmon was done correctly but the wow was in the quinoa bed that popped with new textures and solid flavors that made it a tops on my to do it again list. My dining partner had the shrimp cocktail ap and wouldn't let the server take the plate till it was wiped clean. The chilled asparagus soup was reported to me as very good and linguine and clams was very nice. With several Martinis, Captain w/cokes, one glass of wine and a fate measure of taxation, we paid $125.00. I believe we could have easily spent that much next door at the Bone Fish Grill however that is a chain and I have eaten there before in many cities. So I feel the price was commenserate with the service and quality provided. My only negative was that the staff is not clearly identifiable. While I dressed nice for my first time visit, there were many customers wearing sandals and shorts, some employees weren't dressed up much more than that as well.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

In my first visit to Braise, Bobby Huber's new restaurant, I wasn't sure what to expect other than some interesting items on the menu. We went during Tropical Storm Andrea, and Braise was packed. It occupies a large space in a shopping center, which is an unfortunate setting. We parked in what turned out to be the back door, which is the bar entrance; if you go for dinner be sure to park around back.

Because of the large crowd, we waited quite a while before being approached by our waitress, who apologized for her delay. The slow pace of service continued for the duration of our 2 hour dinner. They were not prepared for the size of the crowd.

The food was fantastic! Scallop appetizer, perfect. Chilled asparagus soup, perfect. Pan sautéed grouper, perfect. Étouffée, delicious. Great flavor pairings. Very reasonably priced.

Atmosphere was a little spare. Other than a brag wall with Bobby's career highlighted in print and pictures, the space was very plain, unadorned, and uninteresting. It could use some touches to make it feel more comfortable and welcoming.

All in all, I will definitely go back, and have already added it to the short list of go-to restaurants in Hampton Roads.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

After reading all the hype in the paper, a group of 5 of us went to celebrate my birthday dinner. The food was very good but the incredibly poor service negated everything. Our server hollered over to another table to inquire about a food item we asked about. Our wine arrived and was poured before one member of our party received his cocktail from the bar. $9 for a cup of cucumbers and tomatoes for a Greek salad. $33 for a prime strip topped with mushrooms. I’m fairly well traveled and I haven’t found too many places in this area that charge that much and include no sides. Over last weekend, 2 friends of mine, one a certified chef, tried Braise and walked out due to service issues. The Chef may be renown in the area for his cooking skills, but he needs someone to run his business.

4  Thank HIS4449
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We liked everything about Braise. The decor is subdued and somewhat elegant. The service is excellent. The menu doesn't have a lot of choices, but all of them look so delicious that it is hard to choose. Everything that we had was good -- smoked pork chop, braised lamb shank, fish of the day -- but I'd consider just having a couple of appetizers instead of an entree. The oyster stew is as good as it gets, and the soft shell crabs are the best I've ever eaten. The attraction for the restaurant seems to be Chef Bobby Huber, and he comes out of the kitchen to take care of diners. I'd be sure to get reservations before venturing to Braise because it should be packed at all times. It's that good.