“Not like the reviews...”
Review of Camino Real

Camino Real
Ranked #751 of 1,453 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were visiting from out of town, so relied on reviews to find somewhere to eat. Maybe we hit it on an off day, but our meal was terrible! Literally the worst enchiladas I have ever eaten, but a wide margin. I had the enchiladas poblanas, I as a figured it was a safe bet. The chicken filling was try (and a little cold), and was just chopped boiled chicken mixed with large pieces of raw onions. The mole was bitter, and there was hardly any cheese on it. My husband said that his burrito was also cold in the middle and was very bland. I expect this sort of Mexican food to be an assembly line from pre-cooked ingredients, but I don't expect them to be both tasteless and cold.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I always enjoy coming here with guests. Best Mexican food in Hampton Roads I have had after trying everything.

1  Thank 931RobertB931
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We will be returning again as regulars. We'd stopped going here a few years ago and then heard there were new owners. We've since been twice and popped it for chips to go. Everything is cooked fresh daily. The chips are awesome as are the white dip and salsa. The chunky guacamole is to die for! We highly recommend the Fajitas Texanas and the Pollo Asado. The atmosphere is casual and family-friendly. The staff are top notch!

1  Thank Shirley Y
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We love Mexican food (or the U.S. version of it :) ) and like to try new places. But we always return to Camino Real! We moved to the area several years ago and just keep coming back. Every fifth dinner or so, we'll try elsewhere, but nothing else yet has measured up. We've tried 3 Amigos (awful!!), Plaza, etc, but this place is hands down the best food and service. We've been known to come twice a week (and a couple of times twice a day). They offer all of the standard options, but it's just better put together and better quality. The prices are lower than Plaza, too. They don't serve fresh guacamole, but that's never something we personally ever ordered. The bar is well-stocked. On weekend nights, they used to have a guitar player in-house, although we haven't been on a weekend night in awhile so I'm not sure if that still occurs. The gentleman who played, though, was very good and interacted very well with both adults and young children. He played classics from Mexico and the U.S. Great family atmosphere, although we've also been known to bring a bunch of friends and just hang out enjoying some beers or margaritas for a couple of hours. It's versatile. All of the staff is super friendly; the hostess has the nicest smile and always asks genuine questions, and the wait staff is always in a good mood and ready for a joke. Definitely love this place!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Love it. Our favorite lunch place. The fajitas are excellent. And everything is reasonable. Oh, and service is top-notch.