“Had a terrible time!”

Matsu Sushi Bar
Ranked #517 of 1,582 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed July 9, 2008

There are so many good reviews on this place and so I was thinking Matsu would be a great place to go for my vacation. Unfortunately that wasn't how it went. It might have been an off-day for them, but these were my problems: For starters, when I'm eating sushi I don't enjoy listening to house or hip-hop. The sushi was prepared well but it ended up making me sick for two days. The chef was fairly nice but the employees were kind of rude to us. The prices were tough to look at, the selection wasn't good at all, and I felt like I was eating Americanized versions of everything. I regret not going to Mahi Mah's instead...

Reviewed February 29, 2008

Ok so I have been to many Sushi Restaurants and well Matsu is truly my favorite. Master Choo makes the best sushi I have ever had and I have had a lot. The Place is great. Service is top notch and very very good. If you want to get some great sushi go here you will not want to get sushi anywhere else.

2  Thank Ryanhdd
Reviewed January 4, 2008

I was not a big fan of sushi, in fact I swore I hated it, and then I tried Matsu! Matsu does not have the ambience of some other sushi restaurants in town but it blows away the competition with its fresh and delicious creations!

My favorite items are the crab sunomono, the spicy tuna roll, and the volcano roll. My husband always asks for a chef special and allows him to create anything he wants. The chef special rolls are always creative and we've never been disappointed. I call one the sushi sundae but it's actually called the tsuami- it is a california roll topped with tempura shrimp and 3 or 4 different sauces.

Everyone has their own favorite sushi place but I've never enjoyed this food as much as I do at Matsu- if you enjoy sushi or want to try something new you MUST check them out.

4  Thank sightsnsounds
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Matsu Sushi Bar stands head and shoulders above the rest of the sushi bars I've visited in the Virginia Beach area. The beef teryaki bento lunch box is superb. The volcano rolls are outstanding. Honestly, everything I've tried at Matsu has been top notch.

The service is always great. We get seated and served quickly and always have a great experience. Don't waste your time looking for better sushi because I doubt you'll find it.

2  Thank kflahaut
Reviewed November 1, 2007

My husband and I have been going to Matsu for years. Sushi chef Master Choo and his family make the most beautful, fresh sushi we have found in Hampton Roads. The ambiance is not impressive, but it is a very clean restaurant and the service is always friendly and excellent. Our daughter even loves the Yakisoba pasta dish. We highly recommend Matsu suishi to all of our family and friends.

-Caroline, 5 year customer