“The Best! No One Compares No Matter Where I've Been...”

Sumo Japanese Steak House
Ranked #545 of 1,461 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is by far the most friendly and best Japenese style hibachi. Went here for the first time with my wife in 2001. We were transfered away for 6 years and tried many others in Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc. and wished every day we were gone we could get back to Sumo. Luckily we were transferred back to Virginia Beach two years ago and returned immediately. We eat lunch or dinner here on average of twice a month if not more. It is a hidden treasure off of Independence Blvd. across from the Best Buy all the way in the corner next to a hair salon. This is not a chain hibachi. Sushi is fresh rolled, seafood, chicken, and steaks are excellent. Fried or steamed rice available. Dinner comes with soup and salad and lunch is just soup, but salad can be added.

2  Thank Steve P

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Recently we took a coworker out to lunch for her birthday. She chose Sumo because we had all been there before and we were looking for something other than the usual.

We arrived at noon on a slow Thursday. Only 6 other people were there which was fine with us. The host took us directly to seats and the waitress came soon afterwards to take our orders. Soup was included with the meal and two of us also chose a salad. The soup was bland but the tossed salad had a great dressing. The service was excellent. The chef came in with all the ingredients for a great meal: steak, scallops, shrimp, and chicken.

Our chef was was very nice and did the "volcano" onion routine but was not very talkative and failed to demonstrate the "normal" routine of a Japanese steak house. The food was excellent though. We had all ordered different dishes, and all of us were very satisfied with the way the food was cooked and presented. After our dishes were presented the chef offered each of us cabbage which we eagerly accepted.

The total bill was nominal for a party of four and given the excellence of the food, we decided that it was well worth it. We will definately go back again.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I don't live in Virginia Beach but I visit several times a year because my family lives here. Sumo is near my sister's home and we go there frequently. We love the food and it's always fun to watch the show that they put on in cooking it. The chefs and other patrons are usually friendly too.

1  Thank MichelleM3065
Reviewed March 10, 2012

How can you mess up a Hibachi grill? Have a nice, inviting, authentic Japanese vibe with friendly staff and great food. It's not that hard. But this place was a complete and utter disappointment. People go to Hibachi because it's unique and something that you can't experience at home ever. From the minute we walked in the door, we should have turned around and walked out. The best way to describe the decor was Japanese Waffle House at best. Snack bar tables and chairs fill the entry/waiting area with threadbare carpet and fluorescent lighting, with a bartender/hostess who couldn't possibly care less about being there. The waitress couldn't understand my very simple drink order when we were finally seated. The plates and silverware were what you would find in a corner diner. The food was fine, but overall the experience was completely disappointing. I saw a couple reviews of the place before we went there that said things like "been coming here for years and we're never disappointed". I don't see how that's possible because this location only opened within the last 6 months at most. Don't waste your money here!!

Reviewed December 19, 2011

We've been to most of the more well known ones in town including the, in my opinion, overrated Shogun- usually when others insist on going there- but when it's up to us we go around the corner to Sumo's and get excellent food, good portions (I can never finish!) and the prices even seem better. The chef's are very good for the most part...I think we've had a few that are very minimal on the "show" and yeah that's a bummer when you're in the mood for it, esp. if with friends, but they always get the order correct and cook our filets just right and the scallops are amazing! I usually get white rice by preference but have had their fried rice as well and it's very good. Atmosphere is good- nothing over the top but always seems clean and the hostess is always polite- she'll make a drink for you at the little bar while you wait..gotta try the Sumo...mmmm.