“Awesome food, great service”
Review of Kyushu's Sushi

Kyushu's Sushi
Ranked #238 of 1,464 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2011

My husband and I put this place in our top three favorite sushi places in Hampton Roads so far. It's very small, so expect a wait if you go during the dinner hour (I have no idea about lunch). There's not a lot of elbow room at the sushi bar, but in the end, it didn't matter to us because the food was outstanding. There's nothing special about the atmosphere, but I've found with sushi places that you can rarely tell a book by its cover.

The roll list was well-rounded and it wasn't dominated by tempura. We ordered three rolls, three pieces of sake (salmon) sashimi, two house salads, one miso soup, some edimame and hot tea. The salads were good- not all white, spiny pieces and the dressing was awesome (ginger). The edimame had just enough salt for taste, but wasn't overwhelmed. The tea was great (I'm often disappointed in this area about how weak the restaurants make it and I love green tea). The miso soup was very tasty.

The fish was phenomenal. Everything was fresh and well-presented. The service was great- we never went even three minutes without someone checking on us. The sushi chefs were hilarious- they even put me to work since I was right next to the bell. And he gave us some sample sushi to thank me for my help- I don't really know what it was, maybe white tuna and some sauce I'd never had, but it was delicious, too.

The bill came to about $50, which was impressive considering how much we ordered, how good everything was, and we rarely find places where we spend less than $55 for less food and lower quality food.

We love this place and highly recommend it.

2  Thank jmccullough33

Reviewed June 16, 2010

This restaurant is very much like the small restaurants in Japan. It is in a strip mall on Newtown Road, but do not hesitate to stop in. First there is the traditional "shout out " greeting as you enter. The dining room is small and crowded, especially at lunch. The sushi is traditional and so very much like what we ate during our 2 years in Japan. The service is polite and unobtrusive. This is the restaurant I chose whenever I was "homesick " for Japanese food after returning from Japan. Besides the sushi made by the expert sushi chef/owner and beautifully presented, there are the typical dishes served in small neighborhood restaurants. The miso soup is the best miso in Virginia Beach. But above all I recommend the daily lunch box. Take a chance, it will include a couple of pieces of sushi, order it, no matter what they are serving that day. If you like Japanese cuisine you'll love it. And the whole experience will end with the "thank you, farewell" as you walk out the door.

1  Thank travel7continents
Reviewed July 17, 2009

i spent 14 years living in metropolitan tokyo and yokoham japan, and have had many opportunities to enjoy the many restaurants there. Walking through the door at Ebisan's (the owner and sushi chef) kyushu was like stepping into a mom n pop store in Japan. the atmosphere the deco, and the tastes always gives me that homesick remedy that i crave for every now and then. if you want truely authentic Japanese food then Kyushu is the place. there are only 2 or 3 places that would even consider taking my pallet and taste buds to for japanese food. kyushu ichiban.

2  Thank jd_diamond_67