“Chinese New Year Not Up To Par.”
Review of Peking Duck Inn - CLOSED

Peking Duck Inn
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
USA
“Chinese New Year Not Up To Par.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have been dining here for years and usually have a great meal. Simon and his family do a great job of accommodating requests and the food is usually the best Chinese in the area. Last night, however, was a letdown. Several of the items on the special menu were lackluster at best and, as a whole, not worthy of the $33.95 +TT price tag. I noticed at last year's event that food was not up to par and this year was not either. The Crispy Fish W/ Vinegar Ginger Sauce was just small pieces of white fish (flounder ?) fried and drizzled with a sauce. The Duck Meat Stir Fried with Pickled Vegetables was not a hit with many. There appeared to be a lot of skin mixed with the vegetables and most of it was left on our table. The Spare Ribs were tasty as was the soup and the Crispy Shrimp. All in all, it is too much for this fine establishment to handle, Stick to the regular menu on any other evening and you will be fine.

• Visited February 2013

Virginia Beach, VA
“A Great Find For Hong King Chinese”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Peking Duck Inn sits in a double-wide shop in Va Beach's Fairfield Shopping Center, and, I'm told, has done so for over 30 years. It's due solely to TA reviews that I ever found this restaurant, and I'm kicking myself for not having been more aware over the last many years, and having discovered it myself. Like many Chinese places, it's a family run operation --- but this family clearly has much higher aspirations than just to be the best Chinese carryout in the neighborhood. Upon arriving, we were warmly greeted by the husband and wife owners, and seated in their spacious (within the context of our other local Chinese experiences) dining room. Based on earlier reviews we had an idea on what dishes we wanted to try; but we found it so easy to engage our server/wife owner about the restaurant and its food offerings, that we spent probably 5 minutes talking about the menu, their specialties, the origin of their cuisine (Hong Kong Chinese, which emphasizes fresh food flavors and textures, and not so much the heavy spices), their food suppliers, and just about life in general. A very warm and gracious conversation, and very informative about both their general orientation toward food, and about how they attempt to prepare their dishes in the kitchen.

In the end, we ordered and very much enjoyed a few of their specialties --- Steamed Dumplings (ground pork, water chestnuts and scallions in a wonderfully soft and tasty steamed rice wrap, served with a spot of hoisin sauce) as an appetizer, followed by the Peking Duck (served as two dishes; the first being the duck meat and crispy skin, rolled in a warmed pancake with scallions and hoisin, and the second being the remnants of the duck meat, stir-fried with vegetables and a light garlic sauce), and the Eggplant with Szechwan Garlic Sauce (cubed fresh eggplant, lightly coated and fried in a very hot wok, and served with a mild garlic sauce). Combined, these dishes were the absolute best Chinese-themed offerings we've had in Tidewater, no matter what the province. At least at Peking Duck Inn, the "Hong Kong Style" places great emphasis on starting with basic fresh ingredients, mixing them together in such a way as not to lose their flavors and textures, and blending them with sauces that compliment, not overpower with spice or heat, the primary ingredients. The flavor and texture of the eggplant dish especially is impossible to describe with any clarity --- to create its crispy "crust" on the outside, and maintain and enhance the already soft inside of the eggplant, the chef must have had a very hot wok, and a very deft hand. Aside from its wonderful flavor and texture, the best compliment I can think of to pay to this dish is that it must be consumed when fresh and hot --- unlike most Chinese, the eggplant would definitely not improve with age, or work as a carryout order.

The Peking Duck Inn menu is huge, and pricing seems to me to be very reasonable (appetizer and double-dish Peking Duck and Eggplant entrees, plus a big pot of BREWED Green Tea, for $35.40, before tip). And I think anyone visiting would be well advised to engage your server and have him/her talk about their food and, based upon your own particular likes and dislikes, make some recommendations. I think we were able to sample several of the dishes of which they are most proud, and I look forward to our return, to working further into their menu, and to our continued efforts to learn a little more about the Chinese Hong Kong style. So far, so very, very good.

• Visited January 2013
virginia
“Best Chinese - What a Surprise”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Just returned from two shockingly disappointing meals in Philly’s China Town to find this pleasant surprise right here in Hampton Roads. This casual (in atmosphere and price) strip mall Chinese restaurant could hold its own against any NYC or Philly Chinese restaurant, believe me. Any of the stuffed eggplant choices are fantastic, and the Peking duck is wonderful. The homemade dumplings are another excellent choice. The likes of Zagat’s might give it a low score for décor, but I’m glad, because the focus is on the food and value.

• Visited December 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Lived up to previous reviews”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have lived in Virginia Beach for 12 years and the best Chinese restaurant I had found was P F Changs! Chinese restaurants around here are of the type that use sickly sweet sauces to disguise their food and abundant "filler" tasteless broccolli (not the Chinese type) in their dishes. I tried this restaurant for lunch encouraged by earlier reviews. From the luncheon menu I chose the wonton noodle soup (perfect on a cold day) which was fresh, tasty and low in salt. The bowl was smaller than anticipated and a little pricey but worth it to have something befitting a good Chinese restaurant. I shall certainly be returning for dinner to explore their extensive menu.

• Visited November 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Best Chinese”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Not only are the menu items great but if you don't see a combination you would like the owner will be glad to fix something to your satisfaction. You can add to or take away from anything on the menu and it was will be delicious either way.

Visited August 2012