“One of the best pizza in the USA”

Reginella's Italian Ristorante & Pizzeria
Ranked #105 of 1,428 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Central
Genova
“One of the best pizza in the USA”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I went to eat with my colleague, who has brought me to this place in virginia beach, and I must say that I ate one of the most delicious pizza in the U.S., the place is rustic, simple as in Italy and the menu and varied, i ate, calamari fritti & Pizza con Proscitutto e funghi, very nice, .. recommended ....

• Visited September 2012

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Was better, now just okay.”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Growing up with an Italian Mother and being born in Italy myself, I think I can speak on what great Italian food should taste like. Most older Italian women are very picky when it comes to eating italian in a restaurant and my mother was no exception. She did like going to Reginella's since the food is prepared with a napolitan flair, and she could converse with the owner in italian. When she ordered the calamari, she always insisted to the waiter, that it not be over cooked, as the proper way is to flash fry calamari. It always came out perfect, in fact everything was done perfectly.

Since my mothers passing, I have had the opportunity to visit several more times, and I have to say, I find the quality to be slipping of late. Let me start with the appetizers. Usually, you will get a basket of bread, with butter and olive oil with spices for dipping. The bread is general very good and always hot. This particular time, and for the second time, the olive oil was rancid and not edible at all. Olive oil should have a clean taste and if you ever had bad olive oil, you will definately know the difference. We ordered the calamari as it is usually good, but this last time it came out in LARGE rings ( I mean bait size) over cooked, salty and extremely fishy tasting. You needed a lemon orchard to hide the fish taste.

As for the main course, I had the rigatoni alla vodka, and it was done very well. This is usually my go to dish as it has consistantly been done very well. My wife had the eggplant parm with the side of spaghetti. the spaghetti was very good and the pasta was served al dente, but the eggplant could have been better if the slices weren't so thick. Their sauce has stayed consistant throughout the years as well. Our friends from New York opted for the pizza and were slightly disappointed when it came out and the pizza sauce was thin (were talking 3 inches from the outer edge of the crust) and it had exactly 20 pepperonis on it. I suppose being from NYC, they may have been expecting to much, but I do have to agree with them, the quality of the pies has slipped in the past few years as far as the amount of toppings and getting that nice black char on the bottom of the pie..

All in all, Reginella's is a good Italian place, not the best. I think with some tweaking and refocusing on the things that made them a great Italian place, they could come back to their glory days.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank travelinggolfer757
USA
“Nice and Local”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

If you want good Italian food at a locally owned place, this is a place to try. All your normal Italian items....Pizza, pasta, calzones, etc. All cooked to order. Not fancy but good. Reasonably priced.

Visited July 2012
Dayton, Ohio
“Nice family eatery with very good Italian food!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We dined there twice while on vacation recently and both times are servers were excellent, attentive to us and making us feel welcome. The place is clean and food seemed very fresh. This place deserves your trial. We are positive you will like it as much as we did!

• Visited August 2012
Gurnee, Illinois
“Not good Italian”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I am new to the area, and I just moved from Chicago so I am unaware of the food options in Virginia Beach. This place is close to my house and I tried it out twice. I had Chicken Parmesan and my boyfriend had the Stromboli. They were okay, but you could make better at home. We tried the pizza another time and we didn't even eat it. We threw it in the trash. It was soggy, greasy, and unedible. The staff, however, seems nice.

• Visited April 2012