“Above Average”

Steinhilber's Thalia Acres Inn
Ranked #82 of 1,413 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: In 1939, Robert Steinhilber opened what has become one of the oldest family owned and operated restaurants in Virginia, Steinhilber's Thalia Acres Inn. Continuing his commitment to service, quality and tradition are his daughter Jeanne and his grandson Brady. Together, they are proud to continue into the future with respect and admiration for the tradition and of the past. Join us for dinner and remember a time when every meal out was a special event.
Virginia
“Above Average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2007

I've worked in two five diamond restaurants and I'd have to say this place is above average. The food is expensive for what you get, there are definitely better values out there. The atmosphere is nice, and the service is good. The food is average, nothing exciting but what they have they do well. Great anniversary restaurant.

2 Thank risenone99

Chicago, IL
“Steinhilber's Thalia Acres Inn - Restful place to dine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2006

Restaurant is quiet - able to converse with your fellow diners; service is unhurried; fish was above average - side dishes and desserts not as good.

6 Thank Kaseyfish
Chesapeake,VA
“Loved it!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2006

My Husband took me for our Anniversary. He heard about this restuarant through co- workers. I have to say I never heard of this place. The food was awsome! I had the Flounder with Shrimps. my Husband had the Steiny Platter awesome! We also had the Shrimp cocktail... it was seasoned perefectly! Waitstaff was attentive. Great place. Will go back for sure!

4 Thank Salsalicious
Columbia, SC
“Loved it! Will be back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2006

My boyfriend and I went here to celebrate our anniversary. Thanks to tripadvisor we heard about it as I have not seen this restaurant advertised in the multitude of visitors coupon booklets and guides that are all over the oceanfront. I loved that it was hidden and off the beaten path. Formerly an old house on a large grounds overlooking the Lynnhaven River, it provides a lovely atmosphere.

Although it was a Monday night at 8:00 the restaurant seemed to be at high capacity which gave an indication of how busy it must be during the weekend. We were seated immediately (no reservations) at a window table. Dim lighting, candles, fresh flowers on the tables , soft music and the view all contributed to the romantic feel.

Our server was great..very attentive but unintrusive. We each had soda (1.50) although they did have what appeared to be an extensive wine list. I had the lobster bisque soup (5.95) which was delicious. They presented it with a bottle of bourbon which I presume is meant to give it an extra kick. Since I never tried it this way I put a splash in but just a little too much! I'll pass on that next time :)

The entrees all appeared to be in the $20 to $30 range. It is a seafood restaurant and they had a wonderful variety of normal selections and specials that all sounded good. After some debate I ended up ordering the lobster combination (25.95) which was really tasty. Served in a souffle dish, it was a little rich for me, so the next time I go I'll either have the butterfly shrimp which they are known for or the crabcakes. My boyfriend, a steak man, ordered the 14 oz. prime rib cooked medium (21.95) and said it was spectacular and that he'd give it a 10. Both dishes were served with a salad (average) with 3 samples of dressings brought to the table as well as twice baked potatoes.

I think the only things that I was not particularly impressed with were the basket of bread and the fact that the tables are indeed arranged very close together which I guess is a result of the small space and large crowds. But neither took away from the experience.

All in all the food was very good, the atmosphere fantastic, and the waitstaff professional. This is a great place to go for a nice dinner or to celebrate a special occasion and we will definitely be going back. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the area.

7 Thank stephanie12345
A TripAdvisor Member
“OFF THE HOOK!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2006

Steinhilber's is one of the best at the beach. Awesome food and a wonderful time! The person who said it was "sick" doesnt know what they are talking about, and you need to learn how to spell "MEAT"!!!!!!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member