“A wonderful experience!”

Steinhilber's Thalia Acres Inn
Ranked #55 of 1,559 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: In 1939, Robert Steinhilber opened what has become one of the oldest family owned and operated restaurants in Virginia, Steinhilber's Thalia Acres Inn. Continuing his commitment to service, quality and tradition are his daughter Jeanne and his grandson Brady. Together, they are proud to continue into the future with respect and admiration for the tradition and of the past. Join us for dinner and remember a time when every meal out was a special event.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This review is looooong overdue. I actually held my wedding on the grounds of the restaurant in October 2011. We came back for our anniversary dinner in October 2012 and I can't wait to go back for our anniversary this October. For the wedding, I booked the wine cellar for the reception and we were married outdoors on the gorgeous grounds overlooking the Lynnhaven River. The venue was excellent for a small wedding like ours. The wine cellar was intimate and lovely.
The restaurant is beautiful because of its rustic appeal and classic elegance. The landscaping is the handiwork of the owners and you feel the warmth of their personal touch throughout the restaurant. It's a relaxing and beautiful atmosphere which sets the tone for a wonderful dining experience. I have eaten here several times over the years, which is how I ended up selecting it as my wedding venue. The food and level of service is truly wonderful. The seafood is extremely fresh and flavorful. The fried shrimp are legendary--a must for anyone new to this place. If you have room for dessert, I recommend the key lime pie. Highly recommended!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The outside patio is just beautiful when it's cool enough to dine outside. Unfortunately that was the high point. Started with dirty silverware and very slow service. The food is OK and some things quite good, but for the price just not a value. Smell the flowers have a glass of wine and then go to Terrapin's for dinner.

2  Thank Larry Z
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had not been to Steinie's for several years cause a friend had indicated they had been bought out, so they shutdown to prepare for demolish & to build condos. Well, I'm very happy to say that just is not so! Steinhilber's is still there & still serving the wonderful food that we remembered. Started with the crab cakes, the. Had the shrimp & the special that was grilled red snapper, finished off with the creme brûlée. Also had the special cocktails - watermelon mojito & pear and pomegranate martini - both were excellent. So happy they are still there! Will be back again and again!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is another restaurant that you visit for an evening of great food, great service and an atmosphere of relaxing comfort. It's not a "get something to eat" kind of place. Operated by the same family for nearly 70 years, it's a memorable experience. The menu is varied and there are some "house specialities" that have been there forever because they are soooo good. A "special occasion" type restaurant.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have been going to this place since I was a child. My parents and grandparents along with and before me. Bobby Huber's recent departure does not seem to have affected this fine establishment in a negative way. And that is great news, indeed. As usual, the best fried shrimp in the world. Wonderful homemade salad dressings and breads. Impeccable service, as usual. Old world rusticity and elegance, combined. Grand atmosphere of yore. Lovely water views. Need I say more? Simply impeccable.