“Romantic Indian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Masala Bites

Masala Bites
Reserve with OpenTable
Masala Bites is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #87 of 1,413 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Upton Dr.
Washington, Virginia
“Romantic Indian Restaurant”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The decoration, very cool and contemporary. The service very friendly and informative....and the Indian food "delicious". We went on Sunday and had the Brunch and had the Mango Lassi, yum, yum. We will be back.

Visited July 2013

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Super delicious authentic Indian food!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Mouthwatering chilly milly shrimp is my personal favorite. Kerala curry was superb - very authentic taste. Although food quantity was less compared to price. Great ambience and setup unlike traditional Indian restaurants abroad. They allow you to select different combinations of food in a platter, which gives flexibility to customers. I also liked the cleanliness and the style with which food was arranged and presented.

• Visited July 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great food...portions too small”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Have eaten here many times and this is my first discordant view of MB. Service is great; the crew is attentive and polite. Food is some of the best Indian around, but my portion was not enough to fill me up. I had to order extra bread and rice to do the job, and I had the most expensive item on the menu. The tandori surf and turf was almost laughably meager on the amount of meat...one shrimp? A chicken cutlet, and a little lamb shank on a small bed of veggies. I am a regular who loves the food and you are about to lose me. Please provide a little more bang for the buck in the future.

• Visited July 2013
“Fantastic meal - excellent service!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is a great little gem hidden away in a large shopping area. I highly recommend that everyone stop in and have dinner sometime. One would never guess the inside from the outside - it is super chic and modern, very beautifully done with comfortable seating and an intimate atmosphere. The moment you enter the aroma tells you how great the food is going to be, without overwhelming you! They have lots of the classic Indian fare on the menu, but a lot of things we had never had/seen before. We asked our server for recommendations and she was spot on based on the types of things we liked and our preferred spice level (they run 1 to 5 - 3 seemed just right for us). Definitely get the cauliflower appetizer (even if you don't like cauliflower - like me!) it is delicious and not something you would have every day. My husband had the Lamb Pepper Sukka - it was very tender and perfectly cooked (this is a dry rub type dish) with lovely flavors that were perfectly paired with the meat. I had the Patia with chicken (a saucy type dish) which was fantastic - sweet from the mango yet still spicy and rich. The raita was cool and refreshing and the naan was tasty, though on the more doughy side vs. the crispy side. The service was attentive and extremely helpful. Go! You will love it!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank cms1012
Virginia Beach, VA
“The Premiere Indian Restaurant in Virginia Beach”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I don't often start a new place I've never visited before with a 5-star review, but I'm really tempted with this new Indian spot (open less than two months, we're told), located at Red Mill Commons a few doors down from Rigoletto bakery. I'll start with a very high 4, solely because our first visit was for a Sunday bunch, and we didn't have a chance to sample the dinner output from the kitchen. But we'll be back soon --- of that there is no doubt.

The vibe of the restaurant is small and definitely upscale --- muted pastels on the walls and in the upholstered chairs and faux-marble tables, understated/not dramatic modern geometric designs everywhere, unobtrusive indirect lighting, upscale silverware and glassware, linen napkins, fresh flowers on every table, and no salt and pepper shakers anywhere --- a very nicely done decor; modern and inviting, and overall extremely pleasant. Our host Bobby also turned out to be our server, and he clearly must be one of the principals of the restaurant --- extremely personable and gracious, and his in-depth knowledge of the menus (both the abbreviated lunch menu, and the much larger one for dinner) and limited but well thought out wine list certainly indicated he must have had a hand in their creations. We found their Sunday brunch offering to be a three-course prix fixe, which included choices of appetizers, entrees and desserts, plus a glass of wine, a beer or other non-alcoholic drink --- all priced at an amazing $16.00. The brunch choices sample all the different types of dishes served at dinner except for their tandoori entrees, and we had wonderful luck with their lentil soup and chaat of the day, followed by a smooth and creamy Paneer Makhni and deliciously tender Lamb Rogan Josh, and finally beautifully presented and light Gulab Jamun for us both. Their naan offerings are apparently a work in progress --- a simple naan was served with our meal, and Bobby says they are planning to offer wider choices in the near future ---including, I hope, my favorite fruit-filled Kashmiri variety.

So after almost two hours of leisurely dining and chatting with Bobby, we were pleasantly full after a great meal, and entirely satisfied --- and had spent a grand total of $35.36, before tip. Wonderful, elegant food, extremely pleasant surroundings, and bright, knowledgeable restaurant personnel --- all this, and priced like Ruby Tuesday. You bet we'll be back soon --- and you had better visit in a hurry, too, before the place is really discovered, and their food and experience are priced a little closer to what they're really worth.

• Visited March 2013