“Not Quite Gourmet”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Not Quite Gourmet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We tried the new Jimmy John's for dinner last night, and although it says Gourmet in their logo, it was far from gourmet. Sandwich choices were the typical found in other sub shops, turkey, ham, roast beef, salami, tuna and the like. They offer only one choice of bread and chips, not a lot of add ons, and no toasting. Taste wasn't anything I'd go out of my way for. Their saving grace is the meat portion which is ample and delivery. Finally a choice other than pizza or Chinese for office lunch..

• Visited December 2013

Norfolk
“Honest to goodness delicious sandwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Co-workers introduced me to Jimmy John’s in Chesapeake on Greenbrier and they often deliver to our office. And, yes, they will deliver one sandwich.

I took my hubby to Jimmy John’s in Virginia Beach on a Friday night. I didn’t even know we had one until recently when I happened to spy it as I was driving on Kempsville Road. You could easily miss it. It’s nearly on the corner of Indian River and Kempsville Road in the same tiny strip as Sleepy’s. I asked how long they‘ve been there and they’ve been there since September 2012.

First, this place is spotless. Seating is a long single row of booths. I was shocked that it wasn’t packed. We actually had the whole place to ourselves at around 6:00 PM. I suspect that’s because few people know it’s here. Too bad, because . . . the.food.is.good.

They have your typical subs/sandwiches – ham, turkey, tuna, Italian, vegetarian, BLT, etc. They also have a low carb lettuce wrap and something called the Gargantuan. I suggested the #10 Giant Club Sandwich and we each got one. You order at the counter and then find a seat. They call it the Hunter's Club. It has a full 1/4 pound of sliced medium rare roast beef, provolone, lettuce, tomato, & mayo. We both asked for easy lettuce. You can also ask for hot peppers, onion, alfalfa sprouts, sliced cucumber, Dijon mustard, oil & vinegar, and oregano. I didn’t know there was another choice for bread (7 grain) as I always got the French bread but that’s OK as their French bread is the texture that I like. This also comes as an 8” sub that they call the Big John (without the cheese). If you want more portion control, it comes as a Plain Slim, Slim #2, which doesn’t come with the cheese, veggies and sauce. The prices are more than reasonable at $5.75, $4.75, and $3.75 respectively.

This is one delicious sandwich. The bread stands up to the tomato and mayo (they use Hellman’s) and it doesn’t fall apart, yet it’s soft and lightly chewy. A very pleasant eating experience! One thing to note is that everything is ala carte, even the pickle, which I usually expect with a sandwich. But that’s OK – I’ll buy a pickle on our next trip there. Hubby enjoyed his sandwich and even said the lettuce was fresh. His pet peeve is stale lettuce. I love that the lettuce is shredded thin. I usually don’t like lettuce on my sandwiches, but it’s right on the Jimmy John sandwich. The roast beef was very good - reminded me of Boar’s Head but I didn’t confirm with the counter folks.

Most soda fountain machines are awful – the soda taste is usually off and the carbonation is terrible. But this Jimmy John’s had great carbonation in their sodas. And for the ladies (most men don’t care) who love chewing on ice - ice alert - this place has the little ice!

Oh, and they are lightning fast. Our sandwiches were ready before we sat down. And it's not just because we were the only ones there. It's the same at Greenbrier during the lunch rush. Hubby had chips with his sandwich and we shared a large root beer. We were both more than full – too full for one of their large chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies.

If you want an honest to goodness, no fuss, non fancy, fast but delicious sandwich, try Jimmy John’s. If you have picky eaters in your group, this might be the place to go so everyone is happy. As far as value, I think they over deliver. Now that we found the way, we’ll be visiting more often.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Shebarie C

Been to Jimmy John's? Share your experiences!