“SURREAL; WALKED OUT”
Review of Sofia's North End Grill - CLOSED

Sofia's North End Grill
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I walked 15 blocks of Atlantic Ave on Saturday where every single restaurant was packed..many with long waits. We grudgingly found this place since it seemed three-quarters empty. We were greeted by a cheerful woman, who said, "...you have to wait for the hostess"---and her sunny mood turned dour and then she continued, "I'd seat you, but the hostess gets mad if things aren't done a certain way", before adding that this hostess is the "boss," After 5-10 minutes of waiting around as the hostess circled the nearly empty restaurant with another couple, this unpleasant, odd "boss" hostess finally addressed us coldly, "Two? Dinner for two? Two?" She then circled us around with her clipboard diagram of the restaurant as if she were desperately trying to find an open table (the place was empty). She then gave us cheap plastic laminate menus and leaving without uttering a word, When we saw the prices: $15 for spaghetti. At that point, there was a loud argument between employees. So...for probably the 4th or 5th time in my life, I decided to walk out.

2  Thank Wayfarer519

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We needed a good meal after a long road trip.
Walking around Atlantic Ave we didn't see anything that looked too great - we walked by Sofia's and they handed us a coupon, the door was opened and it looked inviting. We were there on a Thursday evening in March and the street was dead - inside Sofia's there was only one other party at a table, and our party of two, as well as 1 person at the bar. Nevertheless, the environment was inviting, the salad bar was great, the food came within a reasonable time, and the service was great. The decor was typical of a little family-run Italian place- not too dark or medieval looking. Being Italians we appreciated the effort.
The staff were warm and answered any questions we had, and were also accommodating with substitutions in dishes. I got the lasagna and it was great! Good portion size (too big for me, but it was so good I ate most of it!) and the salad bar was unlimited which was nice. We sat near the window and so did the other party, which we liked because we're from out of town and we got to people watch a little. We left with full stomachs, smiles, and a wallet not too worse for wear.
No outdoor seating. It was cold though so we couldn't have cared less. No bar atmosphere but the bar was well stocked and the floor well-staffed need there be drinks.

Overall, good food, friendly people, and we would come back had we not just been passing through Virginia. We'd definitely recommend it,

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

After a long day if traveling to VA Beach we checked into Ocean Beach Club and was looking for a place to eat. We wanted to stay close because we have 2 toddlers and a 5 month old. Upon entering Sofia's it appeared to be a bit old and out dated. There was another couple in there eating so we decided to stay. The waitress was lovey, very nice and was great with the kids. I wanted the prime rib but they didn't have any (even though it was on the menu). I guess they don't have to much food on hand when it's not beach season. My husband ordered chicken parm. He said it was the worst meal he's ever had. I've never heard him say that about any type of food. He is ex military so he is used to eating anything. I ordered the jambalaya. It was ok....The chicken and shrimp was rubbery, the sausage was overcooked and the rice was like eating a stick of butter. the children had pasta and meatballs. They wouldn't touch the meatball. It tasted like a microwaved frozen meatball. The prices were ridiculous for the quaility of food we received. Service was great, food was gross.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The food is aweful because the owners are aweful!!! the Zervoudakis's are a bunch a con-artist. The food is adverage its nothing fancy about it, and is VERY over priced! save your time and money and do your research about the owners and past consumers regarding this place!!! RUN!!!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

It was late for us getting into VA Beach on a Sat night-about 830. They were open and looked welcoming, although not many people there. We were hungry and decided to take a chance. We were seated promptly and the drink order was taken and quickly delivered. The menu had a good selection. We started with the French Onion Soup, it was different than any other French Onion soup we have ever had-they used sweet onions and the broth was not greasy and hearty at all,rather quite light. It was a change from the norm and it grew on us. There was a generous portion of the onion too. My husband ordered spaghetti and meat sauce, it was very good and suprisingly had more of the sauce than pasta. I ordered the fried clam strip dinner with ff. The clam strips were done to perfection, not chewy and rubbery at all. Both meals came with delicous hot-oven fresh rolls and real butter, also a trip to the salad bar was included. Free refills were frequent from the attentive waiter-Frank. They offer a buffet murder myster theater only Sat nights. We will come back, they also own the Pocahontas breakfast-lunch restaurant which is connected.