“Clean but a few disappointments”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Oceans 2700 Hotel

Oceans 2700 Hotel
Ranked #61 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Clean but a few disappointments”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Positives: the rooms are clean and have very pretty furniture.
Negatives: -Misleading website says it is oceanfront and "steps" from the ocean. It's a full block back, and there is zero view of the ocean from anywhere on the property. Also, priceline.com has a picture that looks like it's on the beach.
-My traveling companion had a table and 2 chairs in his room, but mine had none. There was nowhere to sit except on the high bed. By the time I left, my sciatic nerve had swollen from my hip to my calf because of all the standing.
-Pretty blinds on the windows but no curtains, so no way to block or dim sunlight.
-No staff on duty after 2am, and I was awakened very early both mornings to another guest screaming and cursing at their roommate (a little scary)
-No refunds or cancellations - a lot of other hotels offer but this one doesn't.
-My room had no cleaning the 2nd day so I had to use wet towels.
-No rugs on the floor, so I had to wear shoes to warm my feet.
-7 digit code to get in the room. A little inconvenient.
-No channel guide to the tv, so you just have to flip slowly through the channels.

I would not stay here again. The lady at the front desk talked for a long time about how comfortable their beds are, but because I was limping and in pain due to the lack of seating in the room by the time I left, the bed really didn't do me any good.

Room Tip: Because some of the rooms have chairs, ask if yours does before you book the room. Remember, absolut...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Julie T
Terri D, General Manager at Oceans 2700 Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We thank you for taking the time to place your comments regarding our property and your stay with us. I must say however I am a little disappointed to hear that you are not interested in returning to us. You made mention of a few things during your stay that I would like to take a moment to address individually.
-. Regarding the lack of table and chairs in your room. As we discussed just prior to your departure, our tables/chairs are in the process of being re-finished and yes, not all rooms have them replaced at the moment. However, if this was a concern, we certainly could have made the proper arrangements for you to have them. We would have been more than happy to have moved them from another room so that you could have been accommodated.
- Regarding no cancellations or refunds. Our property has a 72 hour cancellation policy which everyone is entitled to and as far as refunds, if a guest is not entirely satisfied with their stay and can provide us ample notification of the issue(s) so that we may have an opportunity to correct, your money/monies for that day would certainly be refunded if we at that point have yet to satisfy you. We too would have assisted in finding alternative lodging arrangements for you that may better suit your needs.
- Regarding a channel guide for the TV. Our TV line-up is available on a menu board which is located in your room. If at any time you were uncertain, a quick phone call to the front desk agent on duty would have been able to assist you with its location and if by change one was in fact not in your room, we would have been more than happy to have gotten you one or even printed out the TV guide for you.
- Regarding the misunderstand of "Oceanfront" vs. "Ocean view", we are in fact considered an "Oceanfront" property, however we are not nor do we claim to be an "Ocean view" property. I do apologizes for any misunderstanding you may have had between the two.
- Regarding the office hours and your early morning disturbance. In our off season, our office does close overnight, however there are numbers listed for after hour assistance for our guests to reach a service agent. Which I do believe you had done so. We contacted the guest in question and after speaking with you, I was lead to believe that everything had been taken care of. Because I sincerely want all of my guests to enjoy their stay with us and to know that each and everyone of you are valued, I provided you with an additional discount to your stay because of the slight inconvenience you experienced.
In short, I do sincerely hope you change your mind regarding a future stay with us and please remember that if at any time you have a question or need, it takes nothing to pick up the phone. One of our service agents will always be available to assist you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The rates are very reasonable, not to far from the beach and walking distance to lots of amenities and sights. Free parking but make sure you have a pass in the window to avoid any issues. The rooms don't offer much but we found it very clean and the bed is big and comfy. The water pressure in the shower is great but the dispensers for shampoo, soap etc are a bit dated. When we checked in (in the late evening) the front desk woman was very informative and gave us all the information about Virginia Beach we could ask for. Our biggest complaint is the Wi-Fi it was very slow if it worked at all. It's also a bit noisy but nothing outrageous. Overall it was a nice stay for a fair price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MP-Higgins
MP-Higgins,
Thank you so very much for providing us with your feedback during your visit with us. We greatly appreciate your time and comments. We are delighted you have enjoyed your time with us and certainly look forward to your return.
Delaware
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We were to stay here for a soccer . We were required to book threw tournament site. The soccer tournament was cancelled due to excessive rain. The hotel refused to refund our money. This is bad business. Many of the other hotels issued full refunds. Don't stay here. This is not how you should treat customers.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank LLTwigg
Terri D, General Manager at Oceans 2700 Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Laura O,

Unfortunately the tournament you are speaking on was in fact canceled as we cannot help what "mother nature" throws at us. This is very much a disappointment to all involved. However, I would appreciate it if you were to reconsider your comments in regards to our business and the representation that we treat our customers in an ill or unfair fashion.
Per our agreement there was a one night non refundable deposit required which was accepted among your party. Where we very well could have charged for the full length of stay based on that agreement, we did not. Too, because of this unfortunate situation I decided to issue each member of your group including yourself full compensation equal to the amount of the deposit, which is valid through next years tournament dates. Reason for doing so is because I do take personally the satisfaction of my guests. Where I was not able to retract the terms to our agreement, I did try to do what I thought to be the next best thing. I do hope you are understanding of the situation and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed for a weekend, staff was friendly and eager to help, beautiful location and beautiful rooms. My new spot when I visit Virginia Beach. The ocean is only steps away from the property. The pool was a great plus!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding our property and your stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed yourself and are looking forward to your return. Please feel free to leave comments and or suggestions so that we may continue to exceed our guests expectations.
Until next time.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

They claimed they have pool in the website and even when I checked in day but the next day I tried to get in the pool they had a sign board saying pool is closed. So when I called in the front desk the lady who is very rude claimed the pool was only seasonal. Which was only till labor day. Don't ever stay in this hotel its a rip off. They don't even have a breakfast meal they charge money jus to sleep in the bed.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank freespeech2013
Terri D, General Manager at Oceans 2700 Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Freespeech 2013,

We do thank you for choosing Oceans 2700 for your lodging needs. I am sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your stay. You had made several comments in regards to our facility that I would like to address at this time.
You stated that our website indicated an outdoor pool, which is correct. Our pool is seasonal in which the standard season runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day, at which time we did in fact close for the season, as did the surrounding properties as well. However due to your concerns with the pool we have decided to re-open while the weather still remains some what warm for those individuals that would like to occupy it. Due to our pool not being of use during your stay, we did offer to you alternative pool options. I am sorry if these options were not to your liking.
You also made mention that we do not offer breakfast. This too is correct, however as you mentioned, you clearly saw this on our website prior to booking.
Your last comment in regards to our hotel being a "rip off" due to the fact that we charge for sleeping in a bed, Sir with all due respect, I find this statement quite harsh and unfair. When renting any hotel room, this is what you are being charged for. I'm not exactly sure as to what else you were expecting to pay for. In your review you gave us a terrible rating, but yet you stayed two days and accepted compensation for your alleged inconvenience with our pool being closed.
I can only ask that you re-consider your words and the truthfulness of them and kindly remove your comments. If you would like to further discuss this situation, I will be more than happy to do so.

Terri Davis
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After our first night there, it all came to shambles. The housekeeping forgot towels, coffee, cups, and more! They also didn't sweep everyday. The first room we stayed in was a good price, but then they moved us because they were "full"- "no vacancy" at double the price into a room with no blankets. My sister and her husband stayed in a hotel with ocean view for $70; we stayed at Oceans 2700 for over $100 with no ocean view and hair in our beds. When we talked to the front desk about it, they just said, "housekeeping probably hasn't serviced your room yet" but they had! We had new sheets (still no blankets), a couple of little towels and the trash was taken out - that's it. The housekeeping then told the front desk that they had given us everything and serviced our room, blaming us for our problem. Then I had to follow housekeeping around while she looked for spare towels and cups. She told me they ran out of cups. By the way, there were no apologies from the staff for any of this. Don't stay here, there are better places with better prices!

Room Tip: There's a place on 36th St that costs $70 a night that is right at the ocean. Go there. If you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank April T
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just returned from Labor Day extended weekend at Oceans 2700. Remember this as being the Castle and they have done a great job with making this place look crisp, new and clean. First, the price was one of the best I could find at the beach on a holiday weekend. Even though it's on Pacific Avenue (one block back from beach) we have always liked the location at 27th which pretty much sits in the middle of the strip. The front desk was very friendly and accommodating but a few on the cleaning staff, well not so much. We had minor issues with not enough towels for 4 in our party, etc. which front desk took care of immediately but it continued on a daily basis. A/C worked well and there wasn't much traffic noise during the night that bothered us. Nice little pool. The only annoyance I can speak to is there was a pedastool sink in bath and absolutely no place to put toiletries. There was a large table against bedroom wall where I kept blow dryer (none provided but I did borrow one from them) and toiletries, etc. This was very inconvenient to keep going back and forth to bedroom for all those items. There was a lot of extra floor space in bath so not quite sure why they didn't utilize the space by placing a table or cabinet there for convenience. There was enough parking even though they had a full house and it was a bit tight. All in all, I would definitely stay again because of value, location, cleanliness and hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple