“Never Again”

Ranked #57 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Zebulon, North Carolina, United States
“Never Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

When we arrived at our king room all looked very clean. There was only one night stand on one side of bed. In the bathroom was a pedestal sink with no vanity. No where to put your toiletries or tooth brush or hairbrush or change of clothes. You had to put the toilet seat down to put your change of clothes on or lay them on the floor. The room had no chairs to sit in. If you wanted to read or watch tv you had to do it from the bed. No where else to sit. At night you could not sleep because the outside light lit up the room. Only blinds on the window and no drapes. I called to ask for a hair dryer from the front desk and was told they would not bring it to our room, that I had to come to front desk to get it. It was our 32nd anniversary and it was not pleasent at all, in fact we left a day early. I could not even get that credited back. All they kept saying is I'm sorry, I understand. Never offered a solution.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annette R
Terri D, General Manager at Oceans 2700 Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Ms. Annette, R.
I do thank you for taking the time to leave your opinions regarding our property. You did mention several things with your stay that you were not satisfied with. I'd like to address those comments with you. One, you mentioned the lack of seating, lack of vanity in our bathroom, and the light through the windows; well Ms. Annett, you are correct in what you state. I cannot deny that. we unfortunately have not had all these items purchased and installed and/or rectified fully at this time, however, you yourself stated that you reviewed us online. You would have clearly seen that these are not just your concerns but concerns for many. These are things that we do not try to hide or mislead on. Once checked in ma'am, if our room was not up to your expectations or to your satisfaction, you most certainly could have checked out at that time and had been fully refunded. Our desk staff would have even assisted you in finding alternative accommodations for your stay. However, you did not choose to do so. Regarding your comment about checking out a day early, you did in fact check out a day earlier then anticipated, however you checked out at 4pm where had you checked out prior to 11am which is our check out time, you certainly could have been refunded. Again, that was not the case. You choose to check out after housekeeping had gone for the day and where the room could not be serviced and turned over for sale, therefore since you occupied that room for the majority of the day, you were left to pay for it. Now with all that being said I do sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction with our property. Our ultimate goal is to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of all our guests. If and when we are not able to do so, we try to assist and find other accommodations that may be more suitable to the individual(s). If you as a consumer are not satisfied and do not allow us that opportunity to correct, then unfortunately that is out of our hands.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

The only reason I am giving the room itself three stars instead of four is because of the lack of seating. The room was very clean, the beds were extremely comfortable but there is no where to sit except the beds. If a couple is staying...probably not a big deal, but not ideal for a family gathering. I was impressed with the renovations and fresh appearance of the rooms but the seating situation for me was an inconvenience and a large one! As to noise...VA beach is noisy in general, didn't have a big problem with noise, or the white blinds. Would probably return, but would not meet up with a group due to the lack of seating. One other complaint...there needs to be more than one tiny trash can in the rooms...not sure what the thinking is there?

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank LisaAC5
Terri D, General Manager at Oceans 2700 Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
LisaAC5,

You amongst many other guests have the same concern(s) regarding the seating or in this case, lack there of. This is something we are in the process of working on and do hope to have furnished in the near future. Regarding the second trash can.....already done, now just waiting for delivery.

I am glad to know that you are pleased with your overall stay and do look forward to your return.

Until then, please feel free to contact us should we be of further assistance.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed over Memorial Day Weekend. We loved how clean the room is - white sheets and a white coverlet are a really nice touch, and the bed was super comfy. The shower was also phenomenal, best water pressure of any hotel I've ever stayed in!

I was under the impression when I booked that the beach was right across the street - it's actually a couple of streets over, although still very close. And short walking distance to some really great restaurants and bars.

The real problems came at night. There are no drapes, and the blinds don't do much to block out light - it was quite bright in the room. And it was very noisy, with people coming and going right by our room at all hours (we were near the stairs) talking very loudly. Our neighbor would also stand directly outside his door and smoke, which was sucked straight through the AC unit into our room.

After 2 nights of terrible sleep, I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank andrea b
Andrea B.,

We appreciate you taking the time to send in your comments regarding your stay and our hotel. I am delighted to hear you were pleased with our rooms and the location of the property. I do understand your concerns with the light coming in. I would like to inform you that we have started working on the light situation in that we've blackened out the exterior light fixtures for the rooms thus dampening some of that light. We too are in the mist of looking into black out drapes to take care of any additional light and of course the beautiful sun that shines in first thing in the morning.

Regarding the noise factor, I do apologize. Unfortunately for you, you were placed by the stairs, and yes does tend to get a little loud from time to time as guests are leaving out and or returning to their rooms. Again I apologize for that inconvenience.

I do hope you'll return in the near future and see for yourself the improvements we're working on.

Thank you again for your time and look forward to your return.

Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our stay at Oceans 2700 was good. The only issue we had was the lack of furniture...no table (except for the nightstand), no chairs, and only 1 trash can. The room appears to be newly renovated and very clean. The white helps with the clean look. The bathroom is a nice size, however, there is no place to sit your toiletries on.

All-in-all we would definitely stay there again. We would be prepared for the lack of furniture and bring our own.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lilsmlwonder
Lilsmlwonder,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay and our property. I am delighted you had an enjoyable time and thank you for recognizing all the hard work we've put into this property to make it what it is today.

You are correct in the lack of seating and no bathroom vanity space. These are things we are working on and have been working on. Unfortunately it has taken us longer then anticipated, but I assure you, they are coming.

Thank you again for your time and we certainly look forward to your return.

Greenville, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We intended to spend a full Saturday night at the hotel, but stayed less than 1 hour. First , the staff was great. Alyssa (hope I spelled her name right), was great. She was very accommodating and went out of her way to maintain the integrity of the property and the safety of the guests.

The room was o.k. The bed was extremely comfortable, for the short time we were there, and the bathroom was nice. The room definitely needs a table or a small couch since the only place to sit is on the bed. Also, there is no room key. The doors have a number punch pad and you have to put in a code. This seems like a good idea, but the code we were given was very long. This is probably not the safest if someone got a hold of your code, or if you are trying to get into your room in a hurry.

Now for the bad part. We happened to be there on College Weekend. While we were trying to decide where to eat dinner we heard a lot of yelling outside. When we went outside there was a crowd of about 50 people yelling and cussing. One set of girls chased another set into their rooms and then began banging on the window. Now, Alyssa did everything that she could. She left the office and tried to chase everyone off the property (2/3 of them did not stay there); however, due to the open access to the street (no gates or additional security staff) she just didn't have a chance. I finally left my room and tried to assist. The police were called and the crowd dispersed.

After that issue, we decided to leave immediately, and I am glad that we did. Alyssa apologized profusely and informed us that it is not always like this. And as a former resident of Va Beach, I can attest that this was just a bad weekend.

All and all, I would try this hotel again; however, I do think that management should have more help at night....and they should definitely give Alyssa a raise!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andre G
Andre G.,

I thank you for leaving your comments in regards to our property. You are absolutely correct in that the weekend of your stay was a horrible weekend for all at the beach. I don't think anyone could have been completely prepared for the events that took place. Unfortunately being our first year open, we did not have the heads up as to what all to expect. We've learned the hard way and will certainly be better prepared in the future.

I am pleased to hear of your satisfaction with our property and staff. We do try very hard to keep a clean and respectable place for families to come and enjoy our beach.

Again, thank you for your comments and we do certainly hope you'll return.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at Oceans 2700 last August. The Rooms were simple, and well done. The beds and pillows were by far one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, very close to what we have at home.

The staff were warm, welcoming, and friendly. My daughter (4years old) fell in love with the man who takes care of the grounds/maintenence. He was so kind and thoughtful to her, and really made her feel valued. He really made her day.

I will say that the rooms are loud, and I'm not sure that problem could be easily corrected. I struggled sleeping just a little but it did settle down for the most part.

Even considering the noise, I cannot wait to go back! We absolutely loved it.

Room Tip: Choose a room, if possible, that is away from the stair cases.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Thundersheild
Terri D, General Manager at Oceans 2700 Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Thundersheild,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and our readers with your comments in regards to your stay with us. I am absolutely delighted you had such a wonderful experience last year August. We have made a few improvements since your last visit and we are certainly looking forward to your return and feedback as to our progress.

See you this summer!

Terri Davis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Oceans 2700 is a bargain hotel ($106 after taxes) conveniently located near the strip in Virginia Beach. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. However, the floors are cold large tiles throughout- no carpet or rug. We stayed in a King Suite, but there was no furniture located in the suite area. Not even a chair. There are no curtains, so we were up by 6am because there is no way to block the light. Also, it's pretty loud. It sounds like you're sleeping right in the highway. If you are looking for a comfortable but moderately priced hotel, pay the extra and go to the Hampton Inn. This place is cheap and clean, but so uncomfortable. Will not stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Aprildl,

Nothing upsets me more then to know I've had a guest leave unsatisfied with their stay. We try very hard to make everyone’s stay just as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

I do understand and can agree to your comments in regards to the lack of seating and curtains in our guest rooms. This is something we've been working on throughout the fall/winter months and I am very proud to say that we have these items on the way.

Aprildl, you commented stating that you would not return due to these issues. I truly hope that you will reconsider and give us another shot. I assure you the rooms will be just as clean and the beds just as comfortable, plus you'll have your drapes to block out the morning sun and seating to kick back and relax on.

We hope to see you this summer.

Terri Davis