“New Year's Eve ”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shore Drive
Description: Head in the direction of Thirty Seven North, the new dining destination for elegant "farm to table", American cuisine. Our Virginia Beach restaurant provides a casual on-the-water atmosphere in the Shore Drive area that is warm, local, and far north of ordinary. We pride ourselves on bringing you the freshest seasonal ingredients available and preparing modern fare using local produce, meats, and seafood with both traditional and exotic recipes. Our menu is ever-changing so that we can evolve with the seasons and today’s freshest catch. Live Music: Friday and Saturday!
“New Year's Eve ”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We had a group of 11 go here for New Year's Eve. The location and building itself is nice. Very clean and upscale. Staff was friendly. They had a New Years specific menu which surprised all of us because it was different than the menu we looked at on the website prior to making the reservation. I don't want to say the food was bad but just that it wasn't the type of meal I would normally order. Example the chefs menu came with beef tartar and quail egg. I will say the dessert was the best course. Overall not my type of place especially considering the price. Our bill was $150 for two people. Granted it was New Year's Eve. So this is why I give it 3 stars.

1 Thank Cwscottjr

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Love this Restaurant”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We are always impressed with the quality of the food and originality of the menu, The service is not always consistent, but the food more than makes up for it. It's not your tourist/beach menu, which is about all you can find in Virginia Beach.

• Visited November 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
“One of the best restaurants in VB”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Thirty7north has wonderful food, and great atmosphere. I come here often, and everything I've ever ordered has been cooked to perfection. The beef tenderloin is one of the best I've ever had; and the tuna is always the perfect temperature. The bar is also wonderful - great service, more casual atmosphere, live music on weekends, and a nice (but small) deck overlooking the docks. Quickly becoming my favorite "go-to" location for either a casual or more formal dinner. I'd like to see their bar menu expanded a bit - but they currently have options at all price points.

• Visited September 2013
virginia beach
“The Total Package”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Spring/Summer dining is a challenge in the Virginia Beach area with many fine restaurants. With the advent of social media (Yelp, etc.), otherwise clueless tourists are now directed to those same fine spots, creating overbooked scenarios for those who don’t make reservations early. My wife and I wanted a quiet, relaxed experience for our July anniversary and decided on 37 North. We have dined there on half-dozen previous occasions and hoped our anniversary would continue the winning string … it DID!

37 North is one of those places which is just comfortable … the total package. There’s great ambience and subtle music, along with great food and drink, and a staff who are not only knowledgeable, but enthusiastic and seem to truly enjoy their jobs. To start, we wanted a nice, cold cocktail and remembered a cucumber tonic made with Hendrick’s Gin which we had enjoyed last Summer. Jeremy, our waiter and also resident mixologist, remembered the drink and promptly departed to do his magic. Though the drink was not exactly as we had remembered it, it was still wonderful. I’m going to digress here for just a moment to address one of my wine selection pet peeves. I know I’m going to be in the minority on this one, but come-on give me a break … and, it is my review. In the Spring/Summer, we love a well-chilled, light, crisp, clean glass of white wine with a subtle hint of grapefruit … it is called Sauvignon Blanc (SB). Originally, SBs had the characteristics I just described. Then for some reason I will never understand, everyone jumped on the SBs from New Zealand and Australia, which quite frankly, have a unique yet repugnant mineral taste … what is there to like here??? It is kind of like drinking kerosene. My guess is these are the same folks who decided if a hint of oak in our chardonnays was good, we need to encourage the vintners to figure out how to fit an entire tree into each bottle so it will be great … yeah, not so much. Most other dining establishments have gone with a SB mix which favors only the SBs from Australia and New Zealand with maybe a French (great), Chilean (can be pretty good) and then a couple US SBs to fill out their selection. At 37 North, they have 17 SBs and only two are from New Zealand … in other words they have REAL SBs. I mentioned my observation to Jeremy and he smiled … his response, “Yes, we wanted to offer the more traditional SBs and have tried to move away from the more minerally tasting SBs associated with Australia and New Zealand” … I would go back to 37 North just for the wine selection alone. Back to the food … we have tried a variety of their scrumptious offerings but always go back to the Grouper … DELICIOUS! Unfortunately, they did not have fresh grouper so my wife went for sous vide steak and I went for the crab cakes which I had enjoyed on previous occasions. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her steak and the couple slices I experienced were delightful. I like my crab cakes with as little filler as possible, jumbo lump meat where you can just pick-off the savory morsels with the tip of your fork after you break through a distinct outer crust. These crab cakes were very (read: too) moist and were not the same as I had experienced previously – perhaps not sautéed long enough. My wife tried them and thought they were good and well spiced … obviously a difference of opinion. Even though the crab cakes were not as I remembered, we were enjoying our experience so much a couple of soggy crab cakes did not put the damper on our evening. For desert we selected personal cherry pies with vanilla ice cream and coffee. Another personal peeve, but I’ll make this one short … when someone orders coffee with dessert, they want coffee … not Sanka or watered-down Maxwell House … PLEASE! 37 North serves Illy Coffee which is black, full strength and is wonderful to enjoy while finishing off desert and assessing your bill. So even though there were a couple minor hic-ups, the entire experience more than met our expectations for a quiet, relaxed dining experience.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND to those who enjoy a fine meal and a wonderful atmosphere. For those considering an evening with children, PLEASE leave them at home or visit one of the many fine seafood buffets in the Virginia Beach area … kids sitting around the bar or acting inappropriately in the restaurant aren’t cute and reflects poorly on you and your understanding of dining etiquette.

• Visited July 2013
Chesapeake
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went to eat with Foodie friends Friday night and had one of the most enjoyable experiences.
This restaurant has figured it out!
The flavors were simple, subtle, and developing in one dish, then complex and explosive in the next dish.
The presentation was wonderful.
The service, by Katherine, was perfect. She knows how to read the patrons and adjusts. She was flawless!
I had the Cured Bacon (fried Bacon) and Ribs.
It was off season, on a Friday, and for the life of me, I do not understand why they were not packed.
I have been to many restaurants where they are pretentious and expect you to just buy into the concept, this was not one of those restaurants, they simply delivered!
Absolutely a wonderful experience.

• Visited July 2013